• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns All-around 9mm Handgun

Re: All-around 9mm Handgun

Reset is a myth. If you can feel it, you're shooting too slowly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with a lot of LE and Military. If I ask Sig or HK fanboys what gun they would choose if they could only take one gun for a SHTF situation, a lot of them set pride aside and grumble as they say "a glock."

They always go bang when you need them to.

</div></div>

They better get the Gen4 problems worked out or they will lose this title quickly!

Yeah, I'm sticking with the Gen 3s until the kinks are completely worked out. The Gen 4 has some great features, but my Glock 23 is my bed stand gun, and that means it MUST go bang every time I need it to.

Get a 38 special revolver if it MUST go bang and be in the nightstand.

All around 9mm?

Browning Highpower
CZ-75
Beretta 92 - 1970's version

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzmkGgQLCMA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzmkGgQLCMA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I've had this G17 since 1993. It's been great for an all around pistol.

P1270007.jpg

I wouldn't buy another Sig until their quality control takes a noticeable upturn. Plus I'm not a fan of the DA/SA trigger. If you're not comfortable with the ergos of the Glock, then there's not really much reason for getting it, you need to be comfortable with what you shoot. My vote is for an M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had this G17 since 1993. It's been great for an all around pistol.
</div></div>

Had mine since 88'. Same thing. Great all around pistol.

I agree with Downzero on the reset also. I have tried to get that reset feel but have to slow down alot to get it. Quick doubles and I don't even feel the reset.

I would say M&P or P30. Its all about what you are comfortable with. Hell if you are really commited to finding the right one get a used one of each then train with both till you get it sorted out. Sell the one you don't want, buy a new one as your primary, and have the other one as backup.

I like how an OP can say, You know, a glock really isn't my cup of tea, I've owened some, shot some, and it just doesn't work for me. And then all the GlockTards come out and tell him his list is retarded and he should get a Glock 19. And then someone posts a Yeager video with his "all guns" mantra.

He doesn't wan't a glock.

I digress. I'm sorry about the "GlockTard" comment, mostly.

Nothing wrong with the OP's list, we all have our preferences.

I just wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't choose for myself.

If that troubles you, I don't give a shit.

Glock. If you can't handle the ergos, man up and deal with it.

The G4 G19 is an improvement to those to stubborn to try them the way they come. Glocks ergos seem to force you to focus on the fundamentals. Despite not being "comfortable" per se, I can shoot my Glock better than my custom 1911 or my Sig P226.

The Glock is more durable and reliable than either.

If needing to defend myself, I'd rather have the Glock than the other two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with a lot of LE and Military. If I ask Sig or HK fanboys what gun they would choose if they could only take one gun for a SHTF situation, a lot of them set pride aside and grumble as they say "a glock."

They always go bang when you need them to.

</div></div>

They better get the Gen4 problems worked out or they will lose this title quickly! </div></div>

Seems the Gen 4 "problem" is worked out.

[/quote]

Seems the Gen 4 "problem" is worked out. [/quote]

when i start reading posts about the greatness of the Gen4 Glocks I will buy in. To date, all of the posts I read are still related to spring problems/recalls/Gen3 is better than Gen4. I hope Glock gets it figured out.....an ultra reliable gun that works every time is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

when i start reading posts about the greatness of the Gen4 Glocks I will buy in. To date, all of the posts I read are still related to spring problems/recalls/Gen3 is better than Gen4. I hope Glock gets it figured out.....an ultra reliable gun that works every time is a good thing. </div></div>

Here's one post on it:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6142

I've been running a Gen 4 G19 since they first came out. I've not shot nearly to the extent on the link, but I've put a lot of rounds down it. Thus far, not an issue for me. Both with the replacement spring and the original, it runs.

So far I've yet to hear of any real recall, rather a voluntary spring exchange program.

There can be only one
Successor to the venerable 1911
First widely adapted 9mm by militaries
best looking
best pointing

the only 9mm
Browning Hi Power

Picked up a Gen 4 G19 today with a spent shell dated 1/19/12, hope all the issues are worked out with her. Also have a CZ75 and good ol Beretta that I put in wolf springs and a metal guide rod, that's all my 9"s.

(mostly a 45 guy)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So far I've yet to hear of any real recall, rather a voluntary spring exchange program. </div></div>

semantics really.

definition of recall: A request by the manufacturer of a product that has been identified as defective to return it, as for necessary repairs or adjustments.

I think that maybe you are thinking that recalls are forced action.......... they are not.

Nice list of everything other than what the majority root for which would also be my choice...Glock 19

Looks like I may be an outcast but I have several Springfield XDm's now and love them.

To me it's a Glock with a 45 grip angle.....

19 + 1 rounds aren't bad either.....
smile.gif

JM2C

I keep hearing Glock but the ergonomics are strange and with the 229 I shot expert right away. I have to cast a vote fore the 226 and say from experience it's accurate. If you plan on emerging from the sand box like an old Noris film go with Glock, hope you don't shoot yourself in the leg! jK. Dude, call up some folks who own what your thinking about and make up your mind for yourself and remember the dork with the best kit will still get his ass handed to him by the guy who spent his money on amo for the range.

First vote would be for a Glock 19, but fit is not for everyone. Try a Lonewolf frame if you every get a chance.

Find an older W German made Sig 226 that's my vote with the choices.

My first choice is a Glock 19. But, since it's not on your list, I'd go P226.

when people say they want a pistol for SHTF situation

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1184760

i know that you said you dont like the feel of a glock BUT if you in a shtf situation then how cofortable your pistol is dosnt really matter to me - only that it work everytime all the time

you can also buy stuff to alter the feel of the handles

....there is a reason they dont get used with our military - USA requires a manual saftey lever - which is stupid bs anyway...........i just dont know why anyone would not buy a glock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i know that you said you dont like the feel of a glock BUT if you in a shtf situation then how cofortable your pistol is dosnt really matter to me - only that it work everytime all the time

i just dont know why anyone would not buy a glock </div></div>

if getting rounds off is all that mattered you might have a point.........
but in a SHTF situation, I'd prefer to be able to hit what I am shooting at. Sometimes SHTF situations are inside of 10 yards and your Glock is great. Sometimes SHTF situations require shooting at 50 yards........in which case a Glock is a liability for many shooters.

More shooters complain about being comfortable shooting a Glock ( ergonomics and accuracy considered) than any other pistol........in my opinion. Why else would the Sig, S&W, etc. even sell at all?

Maybe I've been missing something all these years of shooting, but I normally aim a pistol by lining the dots up and placing it on or under my target depending on how the gun shoots. That's never changed for any of the pistols, shotguns or rifles I've fired.

If it was a fire from a draw situation, training would be the determining factor to get the muscle memory down, not the gun itself.

My point: Train with what you'll carry. Carry what you've trained with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I've been missing something all these years of shooting, but I normally aim a pistol by lining the dots up and placing it on or under my target depending on how the gun shoots. That's never changed for any of the pistols, shotguns or rifles I've fired.
</div></div>

Do you shoot every firearm you own equally well (consistent)?

For me, a gun that is more comfortable in my hand is just a little easier to shoot consistently. Sure, I could shoot 10,000 pratice rounds through a Glock and get proficient with it.........but its easier to shoot 1,000 through a 1911 to get to the same consistency.

The Glock is a great firearm. If its comfortable for you to shoot it should definitely be your go to gun. If it is not comfortable to shoot, it might be cheaper (ammo costs) to get consistent shooting something that fits you better.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

I like alot of pistols but i drive around in a pasture all day so in my pistol case i carry G-19,26 with high capacity mags because i hate to reload when just plinking.

To me the XDM's work as well as the Glocks and have a better feel. I personally don't care for a DA/SA trigger but think the 226 is good if you are going to shoot enough to master that style of trigger. The craftsmanship of the M&P could be better, at least on the ones I have shot.

In a tight situation, you need a weapon that you very familiar with and have trained up your muscle memory to do it right without thinking. Learn how to do it right, buy something that fits you and is well made and practice.

My vote goes to the Springfield XDM. It has a 1911 style grip angle, goes bang every time you pull the trigger with any kind of ammo, tough polymer that aside from direct flame will withstand whatever you can throw at it, large magazine capacity (19+1)
shocked.gif
, rail for gizmos, easy to disassemble and clean.

All you Glock lovers should try punching "Glock 19 issues" on Google! Oh wait a minute; it's just the internet! And you want to count your life on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you Glock lovers should try punching "Glock 19 issues" on Google! Oh wait a minute; it's just the internet! And you want to count your life on it?</div></div>
Is this really the crux of your argument? Have there been issues? Yep. Are they being addressed? Yep. Glocks account for 65% of all pistol sales. So, with that kind of volume, are these issues affecting a proportionate number of firearms, compared to the competition? If you would like to read an interesting series of torture test articles, here is ToddG's Glock 17 Gen 4 Endurance Test.

Turk, as the owner of a Springfield 1911, have you searched "Springfield 1911 issues"? And you want to count your life on it?

Don't have the Springfield anymore! I can only speak from personal experience; I've had 3 different 19's trying to make it work to no avail. All brandnew. I am sure it is a very cost effective weapon for a dept or an officer that rarely has to use it. Sorry while the Glock is known for lasting it takes a back seat to others as far as reliability. I realize that people have their opinions; and if it works for you great, enjoy! Just not the case w/ me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....there is a reason they dont get used with our military - USA requires a manual saftey lever - which is stupid bs anyway...........i just dont know why anyone would not buy a glock </div></div>

Not true. I am AD military and carry an issued M11 (Sig 228), no safety.

The new smith and wesson M&P nine is one hell of a weapon system.
Plus they use them in the Magpul videos..

+47 for the Glock 19. If you have bigger hands go with a 17. When I carry I have one mag in the weapon two in my pocket for a total of 60rds. You would also be hard pressed to find another weapon that has been tested and passed like the glock it always shoots. I seen them shoot upwards of 250,000rds not many handguns for under $600 will do the same. If they Army would let me carry it on a deployment I would. Yes, it is not very pretty but this isn't a rap video it's life I rather carry something ugly and live than die with something pretty in my hand.

I've owned alot of others and still do have most. Sig 220R still have it still love it, don't carry it because it's HUGE. But it's loaded and next to my bed with a surefire attached to it. Para, Kimber, Springfield and taurus 1911's love them all, shoot them all my Kimber stays in my truck the others are in the safe. XD tacticals I've had 4 regret selling all of them. But the one that is never out of my arm's reach is the glock. I enjoy all guns and have each one for a different reason. IMO my 2cents I'm done lol

I went CZ75 because the ones I have had have all held the black on a bullseye target at 50 yards. That is fantastic accuracy while being absolutely reliable.

The M&P would be my second choice.

I do not feel the love for the SIGs that others here feel.

I chose Sig P226 because the P220 was not on the list
wink.gif
I choose .45 ACP, especially if going suppressed with the threaded barrel. Sig is the epitamy of utterly reliable, durable, etc. and that's what I've got in my B.O.B.....

I do love my Kimbers too, but for for a more refined taste.....one used to sit in my B.O.B., but got sold for a .308 semi....

The quality of CZ's is pretty well documented:
Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

GLOCK...Yup...the AK-47 of the semi-automatic handgun world

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLOCK...Yup...the AK-47 of the semi-automatic handgun world </div></div>

Glocks are a crude, heavy, uncomfortable firearm? Just going bang is not enough for me. Suppose that is why i do not own an AK-47 either.

GLOCKs being Heavy!? I have never heard that. What do you use that is lighter?

I see GLOCKs as Light, Simple, and Cost Effective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLOCKs being Heavy!? I have never heard that. What do you use that is lighter?

I see GLOCKs as Light, Simple, and Cost Effective. </div></div>

Epic Fail! You missed both the comparison to the AK-47 and corresponding sarcasm. He said: Glocks are the AK-47 of the pistol world. I responded with sarcasm...... with a little twist of bagging on the ergonomics of the Glock. Glocks are definitely on the light side, very simple and very cost effective. Glock had to actually raise their prices in the early days to get people to believe it was a reputable firearm. As much as I have disliked shooting them in the past, I cannot help but want one.........maybe it will wear on me. The AK-47 never did.

I replied earlier in this thread that the G19 is just about perfect. I still think that but I picked up a G26 last week and I shoot it as well as the G19 but can conceal it better.

CZ 75. Accurate, reliable, accurate, durable...did I mention accurate? CZ 75 Shadow is an amazing firearm. Next pistol purchase for sure.

Looking at the survey the top 2 are def the right ones to compare. I've got both a sig 226 and an M&P 9mm, I used to love my sig (and still do) but after getting my M&P I was converted. The trigger is smooth the grip is comfortable and feels like and extension of the hand. I still use my sig for training but for the all around 9mm I'd go with an M&P