• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing All around cal for yote,lion,exc.....

PETEJRV

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2006
Sturgis South Dakota
www.corbon.com
Ok I am looking to build all around rifle for killing yotes, mt. Lions, exc... I would like to hear what caliber you all suggest. It will have to be in the SA 08 list of calibers to work with my parts list.

This is what I have laying around at my shop so this is what I would like to use. It will be a lighter rifle. The stock is inletted for a Douglas #3 contour. All I have left to buy is the barrel. I don't want to go over a 22 in barrel to keep it light and easy to put out a window.
grin.gif
I also like to shoot heavier bullets if that helps any.

Holland signature stock sa rem 700 (hunter edge fill)
Remington 700 SA
PTG bolt with mini 16 extractor
Jewel trigger
APA detach bottom metal.

Any help would be great

Pete

Re: All around cal for yote,lion,exc.....

The 243 is a very underated hunting cal imho ,i am planning a build very similar to yours . will be a 243 .
270 is a la cal ..

I have been a 243 fan for many years. I just had a 243AI built and it may just end up being a keeper. another option is the 6x47 Lapua.

22-250. or 220 swift. seen both used on prarie dog sized game all the way to black bears

i also love 243.... i have 6 of them! so many different bullets and very easy to load for. From 55gr to 105 you can do about whatever you want!

I think a 243 would be a good round. If you every go deer hunting, it can double over.

7mm-08
7mmWSM
7mmSAUM

Take a look at the berger 180gr VLD. See that BC? Its the biggest one they offer besides .338 projectiles.

If your taking out yotes at ranges past 200, and the wind is strong in your area that you shoot in, then the 7mm projectiles would have to be the most forgiving.

The .243 is a good little caliber also, BUT for my interests, the 7mm projectiles offer more weight which translates to more energy downrange allowing me to push that effective kill range out... and really with a projectile with such a massive BC you can afford to have a little wind estimation error

Just my 0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250. or 220 swift. seen both used on prarie dog sized game all the way to black bears </div></div>

i read a story on a guy who killed two wolves using 22-250. i love it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250. or 220 swift. seen both used on prarie dog sized game all the way to black bears </div></div>

i read a story on a guy who killed two wolves using 22-250. i love it! </div></div>

yeah 22-250 holds a dear place to my heart. it was my first centerfire rifle my dad gave me. i killed my first buck and doe with it. hundreds of gophers, prarie dogs, rock chucks. several coyotes. and my dad killed a black bear with his 22-250. not because he wanted to because its what was in the truck with his bear tag. bullet punches a little hole and nukes inside. no big exit hole. and normally DRT performance. if you put it where it needs to be. you can load from 40 grain gopher dusters to 75 grain deer getters.

Thanks for the help guys! Being ammo guy there are endless possibilities.
I just built a 6.5X47 for my daughter and love it! It shoot under half all day long.
I think I have narrowed it down to a 243win or a 243 AI.

So witch one do I do????? I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks again

Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GHOSTRECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think I have narrowed it down to a 243win or a 243 AI.

So witch one do I do????? I would love to hear your opinions.

</div></div>

Fairly fond of the AI'd version, here....for a couple reasons.

HPIM2173.jpg

groundhog.jpg

MMS95Resized95Pix1.jpg

HPIM2142.jpg

turkey3.jpg

Picture009.jpg

HPIM2699.jpg

HPIM2627.jpg

HPIM2727.jpg

How about a 22-243 1-8 twist tube and shoot the 80 and 90 gr pills, I've had a few of that config and they feed great and those 22 cal needles are viscious when they hit hide!

If you are set on the 243 or 243ai, then definately go with the AI. There is no reason not to, you can hunt with your fireform loads and there's no case trimming! I would definately go with the 105-107 gr bullets so a fast twist barrel, 1-8 would work great! Good luck on the build!

Just my $.02, but if I were hunting mountain lions, I would opt for the regular .243 to avoid any feeding issues that may come about with the Ackley.

With your parts list and bolt face I would screw a 284 together. You can load it down to 120grs or up to 180 depending on what you had in mind. After that it would be a toss up between 7-08 or 243.

Pete,
The critters won't know if its a 243win or an AI that hit them. Rock the 95-105 grain offerings and use the 243 win. (a fast twist 7-08 would be an awesome option as well). Better barrel life and no fireforming brass. I would consider using the box mag for reliability as this is a hunting rifle.
I look forward to seeing some of your new hunting pics next match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pete,
The critters won't know if its a 243win or an AI that hit them. Rock the 95-105 grain offerings and use the 243 win. (a fast twist 7-08 would be an awesome option as well). Better barrel life and no fireforming brass. I would consider using the box mag for reliability as this is a hunting rifle.
I look forward to seeing some of your new hunting pics next match.
</div></div>
^^ Good advice right there. Lack of reforming the brass and the better feeding of the 243 win would get my vote.

The .243 with an 87 VMAX will fill your requirement nicely. More than a few coyotes and antelope have fallen to this combination. Close or far.

had really good luck with all the game listed with my 7mmSAUM, 6.5x47 is really good, really like my .30x47, cant go wrong with a 22-250 on Yotes

Thanks much to all for the help. I think I will do a .243 win. I will post pics when I get the build done. Mt.Lion season is on so I will use my 308 win with my factory 125TNT load leaving my 21inch barrel at 3100 until it's done.

Thanks again!

Pete

And what shys you away from the AI'd version?

If you are set on the 243, then I would go with the AI if you are going to reload just because it will give you a little more speed. I am assuming that you reload so I would suggest the 6mm or 243AI. The 6mm is a little faster than a standard 243 but 243 ammo is more available in stores around my area and will shoot in a 243 AI if I ran out...

I would say it is all personal preference. 22-250, 220 Swift, 25-06, 260, 6.5-06... there are over a dozen calibers out there that anyone could argue would be the best one for you. What are the distances that you are going to be shooting and are you going to have to buy any ammo or just buy some brass or form your own brass? Those are just a few questions to ask yourself.

Best of luck with your build.

To bad this type of forum was not around back in the non tech era of the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

243 would win hands down.