• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All around Hunting rifle suggestion

Jkesrnicla

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2019
Hi I’m a new member here, I’m looking into buying a new rifle primarily for whitetail hunting and long range target shooting but I’d like the option to take larger game on very rare occasions bear, elk, ect.... I’m considering a Christensen arms Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor or a rem 700 long range in 7mm rem mag.... any comments or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks....

Good ole 30-06 would be my end all be all for both hunting and target shooting. I have loaded 110 Vmax bullets for little critters and 208+ projectiles for larger.

Not to many calibers can do that and maintain velocities needed to down game and targets at distance.

It might not carry the same flash as most the new go fast cartridges, but I will still be shooting the same Hart barrel long after most have had to pull theirs. I can also shoot 100+ rounds and not be absolutely pounded to pieces like my friends shooting belted magnums.

Just my experience, take it for what it’s worth.

Shoot straight, shoot often.

- Jon

Attachments

• 3898DE3A-6352-423D-8426-DC2C2AC22EB7.jpeg
    3898DE3A-6352-423D-8426-DC2C2AC22EB7.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 75
  • B69F7D57-39BC-470D-BD6C-115082BCEB3B.jpeg
    B69F7D57-39BC-470D-BD6C-115082BCEB3B.jpeg
    871.8 KB · Views: 62
For whitetail and target shooting, 6.5 Creedmoor will do awesome, however, if larger game is a big possibility or definite need, I would go larger. I'm partial to the 7mm family starting with the 7mm-08 (personal favorite hunting cartridge). I also really like the appeal of the 280 remington, and if longer distance or more punch is needed, the 280ai (which now also has factory loaded ammo). Check out Gunblue490 (spelling?) on youtube and watch his videos on 7mm cartridges and the specific one for the 7mm-08.

Since sometimes thread derailing can be annoying, if it is simply between those two cartridges and rifles I would go with 6.5 and use the barrel life and more enjoyable shooting rifle to practice more and be confident enough to have the better shot placement that the lower energy cartridge will require.

Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor would be my choice. Will work for everything but Brown Bear.

Reactions: Jkesrnicla
Good ole 30-06 would be my end all be all for both hunting and target shooting. I have loaded 110 Vmax bullets for little critters and 208+ projectiles for larger.

Not to many calibers can do that and maintain velocities needed to down game and targets at distance.

It might not carry the same flash as most the new go fast cartridges, but I will still be shooting the same Hart barrel long after most have had to pull theirs. I can also shoot 100+ rounds and not be absolutely pounded to pieces like my friends shooting belted magnums.

Just my experience, take it for what it’s worth.

Shoot straight, shoot often.

- Jon

Thanks i will ad the 30/06 to my list, that’s a really nice rig! Rem 700 with a hart barrel ?

Hi I’m a new member here, I’m looking into buying a new rifle primarily for whitetail hunting and long range target shooting but I’d like the option to take larger game on very rare occasions bear, elk, ect.... I’m considering a Christensen arms Mesa in 6.5 Creedmoor or a rem 700 long range in 7mm rem mag.... any comments or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks....

Also I forgot to mention I don’t reload yet and recoil really isn’t a issue so I’m not against a 300 prc or 300 win mag ect... I’m currently hunting with A sporterized k98 8mm mauser with 196gr bullets and it works exceptionally well but I’m looking for something to expand my range a little more in the fields and ring steel out to 1000 +

My go to hunting rifle has always been a .30-06. There are other rifles of different calibers I take on occasion but that .30-06 will always be my go to.

Thanks i will ad the 30/06 to my list, that’s a really nice rig! Rem 700 with a hart barrel ?

22.5” SS Hart barrel 1:10 twist on a trued Remington receiver. It has been a fun gun to play with.

There are a few guys getting really impressive velocities out of Reloader 22 and heavy, high B.C. bullets. MontanaMarine I believe was one of them. There are a lot of good posts and articles on making an 06 really shine.

06 has always been a favorite of mine. Even if you don’t load your own ammo there is a plethora of off the shelf high B.C. hunting and target ammo for lower prices than you’ll pay for comparable Magnum cartridges.

Thank you for the compliment and have fun with your new build.

- Jon

Attachments

• 83DF32FC-DC9D-4692-A1B3-AAADE1395CA8.jpeg
    83DF32FC-DC9D-4692-A1B3-AAADE1395CA8.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 6F1C0946-099B-419B-B3D3-88D63CA6CAE8.jpeg
    6F1C0946-099B-419B-B3D3-88D63CA6CAE8.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 42
  • E665490E-5A6E-4F0E-AF15-593B40F92F76.jpeg
    E665490E-5A6E-4F0E-AF15-593B40F92F76.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 38
A bow will take an Elk, but how many of you guys recommending the 6.5 for Elk have seen more than a hand full shot?

Those animals soak up the lead. Big ones don’t jump in the air anything like a deer. Sure can a 6.5CM kill an Elk, but unless your going to stalk up close it is the wrong cartridge. I am a 6mm and 6.5 fanboy too, but the reality is to many people think the creed is magic.

Last edited:
6.5x55 (with 1:8 twist)is the best of ALL worlds:
85-160gr bullet options.
Sweet spot around 2800fps - no throat erosion.
As flat as 270, with half recoil.
Accurate as hell.
Great loaded ammunition (target and Hunting) selection from Lapua, Norma and others.
Number of moose/deer/elk/etc harvested with this caliber around the world will likely supersede any other caliber.
I personally hunt deer in WI with 140gr Lapua Naturalis - have not found any better bullet for med/large game yet.

Prove me wrong. :)

A bow will take an Elk, but how many of you guys recommending the 6.5 for Elk have seen more than a hand full shot?

Those animals soak up there lead. Big ones don’t jump in the air anything like a deer. Sure can a 6.5CM kill an Elk, but unless your going to stalk up close it is the wrong cartridge. I am a 6mm and 6.5 fanboy too, but the reality is to many people think the creed is magic.

Took my elk this year form 183yds with a 6.5cm. Didn’t have any problems. Had to track it all of 15 feet from where I shot it.

304lbs after quartering.

Maybe mine was a soft little one?

6.5 PRC seems to be gaining some traction as a bit more powerful version of the 6.5. Good for deer and black bears but falls just a bit short for large animals. For larger ones, I would go the whole hog, with a 300 WM or atleast a 30-06. The magnums would be too much for small/medium game like deer.

Last edited:
Took my elk this year form 183yds with a 6.5cm. Didn’t have any problems. Had to track it all of 15 feet from where I shot it.

304lbs after quartering.

Maybe mine was a soft little one?
You where close just as I said.

The unfortunate reality is more and more people are taking the game at further and further distances. Like I said I have no problem endorsing a bow or a creed at Reasonable distances for that cartridge.

I hunt with a 6.5creed, but switch to a larger caliber with more energy for Elk, especially if I expect the distance to be further. It’s hard argue that my 170grain class high BC 7mm bullet going 3100; is better than my 140 grain going 2750. BTW both are easy to shoot and raged hole guns.

on a windless evening, the last day we still had 1 tag to fill. I set my 7mm up on a target at 5.2 mils/1500lbs (the far hill) for my brother-in-law. In contrast my creed would have needed 6.6mls and only had 900lbs.. He stoned it.. no way would I have let him take the same shot with my 6.5cm.

E385CDF4-DF01-4A2C-BBEC-CE53E9BE5D53.jpeg
37955F53-EBFD-48DA-A13D-12F42E2AB0B6.jpeg

You where close just as I said.

The unfortunate reality is more and more people are taking the game at further and further distances. Like I said I have no problem endorsing a bow or a creed at Reasonable distances for that cartridge.

I hunt with a 6.5creed, but switch to a larger caliber with more energy for Elk, especially if I expect the distance to be further. It’s hard argue that my 170grain class high BC 7mm bullet going 3100; is better than my 140 grain going 2750. BTW both are easy to shoot and raged hole guns.

on a windless evening, the last day we still had 1 tag to fill. I set my 7mm up on a target at 5.2 mils/1500lbs (the far hill) for my brother-in-law. In contrast my creed would have needed 6.6mls and only had 900lbs.. He stoned it.. no way would I have let him take the same shot with my 6.5cm.

View attachment 7200269View attachment 7200270

I’ll never understand taking long shots. You have to walk over there and then walk all the way back. Looks like it was literally up hill both ways.

But to each their own. Good looking bull!

I’ll never understand taking long shots. You have to walk over there and then walk all the way back. Looks like it was literally up hill both ways.

But to each their own. Good looking bull!
I get that - these particular guys were held up in 12’ hunker brush. The only way to see them was within knife range or across the canyon.

the image below is from another Elk but you can see just how dense the brush is. You could loose your buddy 20’ in front of you. We got cut up just trying to get in and then pack this guy out - it was rough in the dark!
5248FAAF-E777-4712-A0EB-51E9D0384B6C.jpeg

That said, other parts of the same hunt found different typography and a stalk with a 200y shot was made.

I’ll be at my house in Wyoming for archery next season.
F937928D-3141-464B-9BF1-6BA9B55E2F04.jpeg

(My son and his roommate called in this near the house, 40min drive).

No matter what you use, I think the shot needs to be quick. These animals are amazing and like I said in the beginning it’s sad that long range hunting is becoming so popular because our systems and training are so good. Unfortunately the elk need time to figure out what the new safe space is.

I get that - these particular guys were held up in 12’ hunker brush. The only way to see them was within knife range or across the canyon.

the image below is from another Elk but you can see just how dense the brush is. You could loose your buddy 20’ in front of you. We got cut up just trying to get in and then pack this guy out - it was rough in the dark!
View attachment 7200416
That said, other parts of the same hunt found different typography and a stalk with a 200y shot was made.

I’ll be at my house in Wyoming for archery next season.
View attachment 7200423
(My son and his roommate called in this near the house, 40min drive).

No matter what you use, I think the shot needs to be quick. These animals are amazing and like I said in the beginning it’s sad that long range hunting is becoming so popular because our systems and training are so good. Unfortunately the elk need time to figure out what the new safe space is.

That’s some dense looking areas.

I agree the ability to bang steel at longer and longer ranges makes a guy want to take a shot that really matters at those distances. I’ve had that same feeling a time or two while glassing game. I always stop myself though because I just don’t feel it’s the right thing to do.

I want a clean kill, I want to know my Round isn’t going to drift off target shooting over two valleys. I really think these animals deserve a swift death. Nothing upsets me more than a guy who wounds an animal, tries and eventually gives up and the animal suffers. I can ensure this by taking reasonable shots, from a reasonable position and a reasonable distance.

Your son got a great looking elk w a bow. Never hear guys brag about a long range bow shot.

I think you and I are speaking the same language, these animals deserve to be respected. Thank you for sharing those great photos!

That’s some dense looking areas.

I agree the ability to bang steel at longer and longer ranges makes a guy want to take a shot that really matters at those distances. I’ve had that same feeling a time or two while glassing game. I always stop myself though because I just don’t feel it’s the right thing to do.

I want a clean kill, I want to know my Round isn’t going to drift off target shooting over two valleys. I really think these animals deserve a swift death. Nothing upsets me more than a guy who wounds an animal, tries and eventually gives up and the animal suffers. I can ensure this by taking reasonable shots, from a reasonable position and a reasonable distance.

Your son got a great looking elk w a bow. Never hear guys brag about a long range bow shot.

I think you and I are speaking the same language, these animals deserve to be respected. Thank you for sharing those great photos!

I’ve been a whitetail archery hunter my whole life and was taught to have great respect for the game I was hunting so I agree with you 100% about “long range hunting” they deserve a quick clean death! Elk truly are amazing creatures, I haven’t had the chance to hunt them but I hope the day will come soon!

I've got a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem that my father bought me 25 years ago. That rifle has accounted for all but one of the deer I've killed along with countless ground hogs, red fox, and coyotes. On my family farm here in Western Pennsylvania we don't get opportunities to shoot at game much past 300 - 400 yards and I love my .280 Rem at those ranges. I use 150/154gr bullets for most things and 175gr for bears. I haven't hunted elk, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one inside of my already comfortable ranges with this rifle.

That being said, as soon as Kimber comes out with a mountain accent in 6.5PRC I will be on board!!!! I've done a lot of hiking out west, but no hunting. I would have to find a new range to practice on before I was comfortable taking a poke at an elk past 400yards.

I've never had the opportunity to sit and glass for game - so I like light weight rifles that I can carry easily in the woods and hills of PA and West Virginia.

Best of luck!
Ross

If you want a CA and can spend a few more nuggets, the Ridgeline in 280AI. Nothing wrong with the Mesa, sold quite a few of them.

If I get another pop gun for hunting, Remmy Model 7 SS 300wsm, 308, 7.08 a friend has one in 308 and I since he got it, I wanted one. He stamps lots of moose with it. Light, short and nimble, perfect hunting rig for me low brushy muskeg for Bullwinkle, open tunda for bou, wide open hills for sheep and white shaggy. Don't hunt yogi any more.

Tikka T3x SL. 300wm, 30.06, 7rm, pick you flavor I see benefits to all of them but not for short action caliber though and use the saved nuggets for glass and hunts. My #1 selling hunting rifle for years 300wm and 06 very close second.

And animals don't care what the headstamp is, they only care that they are hit in the engine room with a quality bullet. Every animal, every shot, every hunt is different, some give up easy while others walk around.

good luck

M700 300 win mag. The lawyer throat and internal box mag will allow you to hand load the 212 eld x and 215 Berger hybrids seated way out and maximize the cartridges velocity. At least the factory unit I have does. Seated .020” off the lands coal around 3.620” and still fits In the mag ( forgot the exact coal numbers for the two). Shoots good for a factory rifle.

Tikka t3x Arctic. A general purpose hunting rifle that is heavy enough to perform well on the bench easily and hunting as well. No further upgrades required. Available in 308 or 6.5.