• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

All In One Drag Bag / Mat, or Separate Bag and Mat?

jetman624

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
South OC, CA
Looking to get a nice bag for my precision rifle, and a mat for clinics and comps.

Any input on from those who like the all-in-one drag bag and mat, or if having those pieces of gear separate works better for you.

Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing. I've even been looking into making my own all-in-one thing to meet my needs, but I've no experience with any of the commercial offerings, so I'd like to hear opinions, too.

For around $70, the MidwayUSA drag bags are decent. You could also add a competition Pro shooting mat and still have money for a couple boxes of ammo compared to the Triad rifle carry case. Nothing wrong with Triad's stuff as I own a couple of items from them.

The Midway USA drag bag is good enough for the vast majority of people. There are definitely nicer options out there, but only you can determine if they are worth the price differential. If you are hard on your gear, you might want to go with something higher quality.

As far as a "combo" drag bag/shooting mat, don't do it. Just get a dedicated drag bag and a dedicated shooting mat.
Typically, anything that tries to do more than one thing never really does any one of those things well.

I have the Tac ops drag bag and wouldn't have it any other way! It's great to have the mat with the bag IMO. Most of my shooting is done out here in the mountains where cars can't really go. Also with this drag bag you can use the backpack straps as the bag is a little heavy to carry by the handles, mine has a 338 lapua and lots of other gear and ammo. Made very well, had it for a couple years now always used in heavy mountain terrain.

Last edited:
If you shoot on nice days and shoot at ranges with nice clean concrete to put your mat on, buy the case/mat deal. If you think you may ever toss it in dirt, mud, anything else you will want a separate mat the first time you put your rifle in a muddy case you've been walking all over and put it in your car.

I also don't like the bulky mats like the midway mat for this same reason. Sure they're more comfortable and have more padding but if I want to be comfortable I'll stay on the couch and drink beer.

The TAB mat is the best I've found. It has padding where needed but rolls up so small you can toss it in a grocery bag if it gets nasty while you're out shooting. It's also packable which is a huge benefit if you shoot comps.

IMO the ultimate setup is TAB mat + TAB rifle cover + Storm/Pelican case.

I've had and used an Eagle Hybrid Sniper Rifle Case for years. I've gone away from it because I always find that I'm laying on one of the buckles or straps or something else is poking me in the ribs when I lay on it. And it doesn't carry a whole lot of gear. Anymore, I carry my rifles and gear to the range in one of the MidwayUSA drag bags and just lay in the dirt. It's more comfortable that way.

I've long debated getting an Eberlestock pack, and probably will one day, but the MidwayUSA drag bag does everything I need it to for the time being.

I much prefer to have the items separate. I too tried a case/mat/cargo device. Too heavy to load up and carry very well, everything got filthy from laying on it, worst part was that it was a crappy shooting mat because I was always laying on some bit of gear. That was under me in a pocket. If I want to slim down for the last little bit of a move, I had to sacrifice some of my gear.

Separate gear allows me to tailor my load to meet current conditions.

I much prefer to have the items separate. I too tried a case/mat/cargo device. Too heavy to load up and carry very well, everything got filthy from laying on it, worst part was that it was a crappy shooting mat because I was always laying on some bit of gear. That was under me in a pocket. If I want to slim down for the last little bit of a move, I had to sacrifice some of my gear.

Separate gear allows me to tailor my load to meet current conditions.

Any chances of a group buy for your Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Triad Tactical*::*Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case I definitely wouldn't mind trying your bag out.... I have two tac ops bags that I love but I wouldn't mind trying a more streamlined bag.