• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

alliant 2400 alternative

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
hi all
i am looking for an alternative to alliant2400, how does it compare to hodgdon tightgroup
its for 100gn ali heads in 458lott cases any ideas please
cheers

Re: alliant 2400 alternative

Alliant 2400 and Hogdon Tite Group, is like comparing apples to oranges. 2400 is a slower burning pistol powder good for Magnum handgun cartridges like .44Mag. Titegroup is faster burning, and is useful for .45ACP, among others.

You should invest in a reloading manual.

James

100grn ali?

As in 100 grain aluminum points?

Titegroup might actually work for that, since the bullet weight is a lot lower than normal.

Oh, and James hit that one on the head. You need a reloading manual.

ive got several ,but trying to compare two different brands is very difficult especially when you are trying a brand new load

its a 100gn aluminium hollow point in .458 dia
used in a 458 win mag case or 458lott
you look that up in a book !!!

the only start point is that 40gn of alliant 2400 works in a 45-70, and alliant is not very common here.

458 Win mag is in the both Hornady manuals I have, as well as the speer manual. The 458 Lott AND the 458 WM are in the A-Square "Any shot you Like" manual. There's some information in there on other large bore cartridges with very light weight bullets.

One in particular is a 416 case with a 123gr bullet that they launched to 5300 fps.

There's a back of the hand method my dad has worked out to do loads like this, it works incredibly well for subsonic loads as well. If you have the bug (and it seems so) for strange loads in strange cases you probably want to get yourself a copy of quickload.

H4227 is around the same speed it is between 2400 and 296 just slightly faster than 296. I would give it a go. Are these the alloy 458 projectiles from Lehigh?

They hammer and would be amasing from the lott at close ranges.

cheers for the info guys
Yes they are from lehigh, the quality is very very very good
Going to use them on fox at about 70m , should be quite interesting?

that should work realy well after you explode the fox the muzzle blast should arrive to cook him to make sure he is dead.

Sounds good have fun with them i have some they are awsome projectiles.

wild bill
what loadings have you used,
powder cal etc

308, 500gn 458lott, 100gn aluminium 458lott

What velocity are you "shooting" for? An equivilent to 2400 would be Lilgun from Hodgsdon. 296 is fairly heavily coated and might be erratic in such a large case. Moderate velocities, Unique is always a good choice. Ignites easily, predictable in rate, and is reasonably insensitive to position in the case.

according to his web site he is getting about 3000 fron a 45-70 case , would like to think we could beat that ?

Reloder-7
IMR-4227
N-130
H4198
H335
TAC

These are good powders for the .45-70, .458 Win Mag, Lott, etc.

ive got 335,
but where do you start for 100gn aluminium 458?

thats just what the load is on the web site ,
was not sure if i could transfer that to the lott case from 45-70?
guess i will start off with 15gn and see what happens?

I don't know the relative internal volumes but can you give me details on:

1) Total water capacity of a 458Lott and a 45-70
2) Load given for the 45-70?

I'm fairly certain that the load can be used as a starting load, don't reduce it any. I need to know what the load given says and also what the ratio in internal capacities is though for a quick "back of the envelope" type check.

cheers i will do that in the morning
thanks

If you can get it, try Accurate #9 or Ramshot Enforcer... very close to 2400 and both much cleaner. These are both made in St. Marks, Fl, so you may not have access to it across the pond.

Any problems with bore wear from the alum projos? Seems like you'd get galling and corrosion. What solvent removes aluminum????

do no know about that , was not planning on using to many ?
bought 50 to try

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get it, try Accurate #9 or Ramshot Enforcer... very close to 2400 and both much cleaner. These are both made in St. Marks, Fl, so you may not have access to it across the pond.

Any problems with bore wear from the alum projos? Seems like you'd get galling and corrosion. What solvent removes aluminum???? </div></div>

AL is harder than gilding metal and it's more reactive than Fe. In fact, AL is SO reactive that if you take a knife and scratch a bar of it by the time you finish making a foot long scratch the begining of the scratch is already oxidized and stable.

That being said, any AL galling will form a fast layer of AlO3 and be inert. It will blow out of the barrel by shooting a wadcutter style copper solid a single time.