• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliant AR-Comp...anyone use it for .223/5.56?

dbshabo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
FL
Was in my local gun shop today looking for powder. Bet ya never guess what I found, not a damn thing I was looking for. Can you believe it! Anyway they had some Alliant AR-Comp on the shelf. The guy behind the counter says it has a burn rate close to Varget and RL15. I didn't buy any cause I wanted to do some checking first.

Anyone out there try this powder? I'll be loading Hornady 75gr BTHP bullets and shooting thru a 16" 1:7 Colt LE6920. I looked at the member supplied loads at the top of the page and didn't see this powder listed for these weight bullets. Thanks in advance for any advice / info offered.

Shabo

I ran about 1 lb of it through my DD with 75 and 77 gr. Had great results with accuracy. Didn't have a crony then so I don't know fps. Been looking for it ever since. I missed 8 lb kegs of it by 30 min the other day at my LGS.

My research on it showed very good results as well. I don't believe I ever found someone who didn't like it.

Last edited:
I moved over to AR-COMP from Varget last year and predominately shoot NRA/CMP highpower. I've been very pleased with the results but will say that AR-COMP is a *dirty* powder.

Here's the loads that I'm shooting through my A2 model, 20" 1-7.7 twist

Sierra 77gr MK
22.4gr AR-COMP
CCI450 primer
USGI brass
velocity ~2650 fps

Sierra 80gr MK
22.7gr AR-COMP
CCI450 primer
USGI brass
2.50" OAL
velocity ~ 2725 fps

I too had issues finding AR-COMP for a while, but snagged a pound here and there... enough to keep me going at local matches. I did get lucky at the last gun show and snagged 8lbs!

Ive been shooting 22.1, 77 Nos CC, WSRP, WCC 10 1X brass, 2.26 COAL, 16 inch, 1/7 LMT CQB. No idea what the velocity is. I have a full OCW worked up that Im saving for when I get my scope. What Im shooting now was based on plinking some loads and going with what grouped best.

I only have irons on my rifle (KAC 200-600 BUIS) so I dont think my eyes give me the full potential of the powder. It has been a solid performer. Steel torso at 200 is easy and it holds a steel torso at 300 solidly with the shooter being the weak link. It grouped okay on standard 300 yard bull (8,9,10 are black). I was trying to estimate a hold that worked on the steel. I couldnt see my shot holes because most of them were 9/8 at 6 oclock and my spotter wont pick up .22 at 300 yards. A sight adjustment that allows me to do a solid 6 oclock hold should improve the bullseye performance a bit. If you need powder I dont think you will be disappointed.

but...Ill burn through what I have and seek more 8208XBR.

PS - I load on a Dillon S1050 and whatever inconsistency occurs using the progressive and this powder hasnt been an issue for my goals/expectations.

I've used a few pounds of it and my rifle loves it. 70 grain Bergers in particular. However, 55 grain pills don't like it with my barrel

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

in my Wylde Chamber NM AR:

77SMK
LC-11 Brass
23.5gr AR-comp
Tula SRP

80SMK
LC-11 Brass
24.0gr AR-Comp
Tula SRP

Amazing accuracy!!!

I tried same combo in my minimum spec Krieger and was popping primers. I backed off to the loads on Alliant's website on the kriger bbl upper and nirvana.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Went back to the LGS this morning and bought an 8lb jug of the stuff. It was $199.99. A bit steep but it was available right.

Shabo

I've heard nothing but good things about this powder as well. I have 8lbs, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.