• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Alligator , Pics up Thanks to Shaggy back!

strick9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Mt Horrible, SC
Me and the fiancee made the news with this one, ABC but anyways hard to move right about now.

The news lady kept asking me how the gator acted and for my old lady to pose. Shit I gave a whole deposition on being safe and how they need to be managed properly and the only thing they air is this, I really felt like saying look woman how do you think this thing acted, we were trying to kill it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUIwd7C8Hm0

Re: Our Reptile made the news.

Strick, thats pretty freakin cool. Congrats on the gator. They kinda butchered the backstory/hunt on how you got it. Mind filling us in?

Very good gator, by the way.

In our area, you find the wild hogs along the marsh side and you find the big gators.

I used a large treble on a saltwater spinning outfit to snatch him, then got a hand line with snatch hook in him, then he broke off first , then rehooked and broke off second. Over the log, part and rety the line etc. etc. Brutal..This went on for hours, Broke two harpoon on his tough ass, finally he plowed for the shallows and took a rest where we were able to lift his tail and I got a harpoon sunk in the upper meat of his tail. Damn near rolled my little 16 foot boat plowing out of there hissing and roaring and making around 7 knots with us in tow. We call it the Low Country Sleigh Ride. Anyhow after he tired of this we got him boat side close, tide him off and hit about 5 knots trying to plane him against his preffered direction to get a head shot. That never occured but two JHP 185 grn 40 cals to the solar plexus and a lot more dragging did the trick.

Hooked him up at 9 pm, dispatched him at 2 am. Back at the boat ramp at 4 am. Drug up the ramp with the Ford diesel at 5 am, Finally some muscle arrived and we got him to the processor at 9 am. To say I am beat just about covers it.

If anyone wants to put up some pics for me I have some awesome ones.

davids_arms_length.jpg

gator_in_truck.jpg

mouth_open.jpg

P9270256.jpg

P9270265.jpg

Strick, those are the only ones that came through. Two didnt make it. If you wanna resend em, I'll give it another go to post em for you man.

Happy to help. Gator hunting is one of those things that is on my "gotta do" list. But, uh, I wanna try it the NON-CRAZY way - with a gun from acrossed a bayou.
laugh.gif

If I'da been there, no way he'd be pulling me around no swamp. I'd crocidile dundee his ass! j/k That's cool as hell, even cooler that your fiancee is into it too! Sounds like a keeper for sure. Congrats on both accounts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy to help. Gator hunting is one of those things that is on my "gotta do" list. But, uh, I wanna try it the NON-CRAZY way - with a gun from acrossed a bayou.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

with a vehicle mounted 50 cal!

I estimated 800lbs. When all chopped up and weighed in individual containers minus the head tallied 590.00 so 800 ish. I know that with me at 230lbs and my buds 230 pounds couldn't budge him on a greased board into my truck. Took 6 guys to do it.

you finally gettin over the soreness after fighting that monster?

thats bad ass. i have got one gator in Louisiana and it was a blast but he was nothing like that beast you got. congrats sir that is a awesome gator

That is awesome! I wish I could find some people to go hunt pigs and gators with. That would be a dream.

L.

Sound bites. Depositions, etc., end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.

If you can't say it in 5-8 seconds, you're talking to dead air.

If someone wanted to know how he felt about, I'd tell 'em "I didn't have time to ask, but he didn't look like he was enjoying it". That would make it to the daily opener.

..or "When they get this big and this bold, folks like me shouldn't have to be doing the state's work for them". That would definitely buy some airtime.

..or "doing this safely isn't easy, so be careful if you want to try this at home".

Short, to the point, and something you don't want to hear coming back over and over to haunt you.

Greg

I have a buddy in TN that moved up from Orlando. He has some awesome pictures of 13' gators. I think he was pretty crazy the way he hunted them, but nothing like what you described.

I guess I am a fucking redneck at heart, but if I killed that lizard, I would get his ass taxidermied, even I had to learn to do it myself.

Freaking awesome.

Nice gator,man. Here in Ga we have a season on em as well. Helped a buddy tag and bag one about 3 years ago, I got two rejection slips as is now. Maybe next year I will get my tag. What harpoon and catch hooks were you using? I can give ya some ideas on what to use. It has been perfected by some friends who got advice from guys in FL. Nice one, though.I am jealous!!!!

Re: Our Reptile , Pics up Thanks to Shaggy back!

There out to be enough skin for perhaps a couple pairs of boots and then some... Congrats.

That big of a gator will be hard to get boots out of. The hide is pretty thick, and will give the bootmaker hell.

Enough leftovers to make me a tactical gator wallet?
laugh.gif

Shit man the processing fees, head mount and rear feet are gonna run us 1k even and thats with donating the hide to the processor, so no skins for us. I worked up a 11 footer last year damn near ruined three different blades and my back. Felt like a fag dropping this one off but oh well working up deer and hogs is enough for me!

WOW! Didnt realize that gators were so expensive.

So, you got the head and rear feet stuffed? Why the rear feet?

Yeah the head and the rear feet. The rear feet are as big as basketballs with Grizzly like claws. Gonna make Cigar ashtrays out of them. Check em out you can see the white claws in a couple of the pics.