• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Alloy framed 1911?

powdahound76

Old tired dad
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
Looking at acquiring one.

I have searched and read.

This will be for target fun only. No CCW, no matches of any kind.

Dan Wesson to be exact.

Any disagreements?

@pmclaine - I know you have a fondness for commanders in .45. Any LW frames?

I have owned 3 before i knew what I really wanted in a pistol. Close to 1k rds through each without issues. Just wondering what guys who own them for a decade or more have to say.

Thanks

Looking at acquiring one.

I have searched and read.

This will be for target fun only. No CCW, no matches of any kind.

Dan Wesson to be exact.

Any disagreements?

@pmclaine - I know you have a fondness for commanders in .45. Any LW frames?

I have owned 3 before i knew what I really wanted in a pistol. Close to 1k rds through each without issues. Just wondering what guys who own them for a decade or more have to say.

Thanks

Found this 1968 LW in great shape at my local gun store.

PB047139.JPG

Great piece but I tend to carry my steel Commander more often.

I have to do some work on the ejector on this one - it tends to eject right to my forehead.

Colonel Cooper had a maxim that is sound but I dont really adhere to it.

He thought if you were going to get a 4.25 inch 1911 you should go with the LW frame as the difference in weight between a steel Commander and Government 1911 really offered no advantage.

My advantage of the two isnt really concerned with the weight....more so its ability to conceal.

As a I tell the ladies fractions of an inch can mean a lot.

Last edited:
I don't know if this still holds true or not, but worth investigation. Bill Wilson carries a LW framed Commander. He has the exact same gun in Carbon Steel. He shoots/trains with the carbon steel. The reason was excessive wear and tear. I have replaced more LW frames on commanders and officers guns that all the carbon steel destroyed youtube feed ramp jobs combined. Thats a lot of frames. For clarification. The LW frames I have replaced were due to "want to be" gunsmiths trying to peed, bend, or further manipulate the LW frames. So my suggestion is stick with the carbon steel or stainless steel for target and recreational. If your only shooting 1k through them either will hold up.

Reactions: powdahound76
This may see 500-750 rds a year.
I mostly shoot carry guns. Others are just for range enjoyment from time to time.

I have two different friends with DW Guardians (One in 45 and one in 9mm).
Both are amazing guns and shoot great. I really liked them.
I have the all stainless DW CBOB and it's great too, but I really liked the weight of the Guardian.
Personally, I own a Springfield Champion Operator (aluminum frame with a rail) and it too has been a fantastic shooter, however, I'll always prefer those Guardians. DW's are great guns.

Reactions: powdahound76
Ops sorry op. I do have a aluminum framed 1911 based daily carry though. Para warthog. For me it’s a good compromise for bear in the woods as well as 2 legged threats. It’s small and compact for a double stack 1911 too.

I have a Colt LW Commander .45 ACP series 80. Also a Wilson Alloy frame .45 ACP. It is the 4" with Officers Model grip. The Colt has full sized grip and 4.5" barrel. I don't pound rounds through them but carry them a good bit. They shoot fine and hold up well. I doubt either has been fired 1000 times. Not range guns. I would and do go steal frame for my range guns. No reason not to do so.

As an aside "Light Weight", in the case of Colt doesnt only apply to the frame.

My old LW Commander slide is all carved up on the inside with lightening cuts.

The tunnel for the extractor is open underneath and there is other metal removed.

Im guessing most of the problems reported were owner induced - running +P or putting in light/heavy recoil springs.

Run it like the manufacturer intended and maintain the springs.

Too many people think they know better.

Good evening,

I picked up a lightly used Kimber (I know.. but it runs great and was exactly what I was looking for at the time) Super Carry Pro. It gets about 200 rounds a month and has held up so far with new springs every 500-1000 rounds, or whenever I think of it. These are lightly charged cast lead practice rounds so it'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

Anything in particular I should pay attention to on the frame that would indicate this wear you all are talking about?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron
IMG_20160725_224422737.jpg

Keep an eye on the area around the slide stop pin hole.

If there is weakness they will crack there.

But there is no weakness and with your routine I doubt you will ever have an issue.

I shoot moderate loads in my guns 5.3 of W231 with a 230 grain FMJRN.

My carry guns havent seen the full power loads I carry with since I function checked them a while ago.

I shoot a lot of full power loads with a work gun so I know the feeling and truth be told its not too different from my moderate loads.

Shok buffs are a liability to fail just make sure you use good springs. Sounds like you are keeping round counts - good on you.

From a quality manufacturer like DW, you will be fine with alloy.

Keep an eye on the area around the slide stop pin hole.

If there is weakness they will crack there.

But there is no weakness and with your routine I doubt you will ever have an issue.

I shoot moderate loads in my guns 5.3 of W231 with a 230 grain FMJRN.

My carry guns havent seen the full power loads I carry with since I function checked them a while ago.

I shoot a lot of full power loads with a work gun so I know the feeling and truth be told its not too different from my moderate loads.

Shok buffs are a liability to fail just make sure you use good springs. Sounds like you are keeping round counts - good on you.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the info! Fired 6 mags last night and will clean tonight and keep an eye on that spot, but not worry about it too much. IIRC, my loads are 4.8g Bullseye with 130 LRN; so pretty light.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Reactions: pmclaine
I have three DWs, two w/ aluminum frames, and all perform flawlessly. Checkmate mags FTW.

Thanks for all the info fellas

Jefe, is it 9 or 45? Looking for a 9.

Leading towards a steel frame at this point as well.....

The DW ECO shoots extremely well. That one I'm not selling. ?