• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Almost there! Your opinion matters!

jwsnydes

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
South Dakota
www.snipershide.com
Hello everyone, I know enough to know that I don't know enough, so I ask the really informed minds here on Sniper's Hide.

I have been shooting semi auto rifles and pistols for a while now. Finally I am looking to pick up a bolt action in 308. Here's the catch... I'm a lefty, and I only want to buy a rifle with a left handed bolt.

1.I'm looking for a tactical style rifle.
2.I'm probably looking to spend less than $1500, but this may be flexible (without scope).
3.I want a nice rifle capable of accurately shooting out around the maximum range of the 308 cartridge.
4.I am not currently a hunter but if I became one, this would be the rifle I would use.

The two that I have been looking at are:

Remington 700P LTR Left Hand

and

Savage 10 FLCP-K Left Hand

Your opinions on these (pros/cons) or another rifle would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Almost there! Your opinion matters!

Both are solid rifles. Remington gets the nod solely for aftermarket add-ons available. Either will suit you very well.

I AGREE with Dawg,

You will be well served with either choice.... Comes down to holding them both and seeing which one feels the best to you.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both are solid rifles. Remington gets the nod solely for aftermarket add-ons available. Either will suit you very well.</div></div>

agree 100%

I would pick the Remy just because of ease for aftermarket upgrade. The trigger on the Savage is a little bit better if you compared the stock trigger. Both are fine rifles.

i am a lefty and i have owned alot of rifle and none of them have ever been a left handed rifle but both rifles that you have listed above are great rifles and you would be happy with either one

Thank you all for the comments!

I was worried that people might not like the Savage action as much as the Remmy, but that does not seem to be the case.

The Savage is much cheaper especially if I would put an aftermarket trigger in the Remington. A $200 Jewel trigger in the Remington would trump the stock accutrigger on the Savage I assume.

keep in mind most of the info that you recieve on the hide are peoples opinions and not actual facts some will say savage sucks and dont bother and others will say you are wasting money on anything that remington makes just take everything with a grain of salt

I have talked with a local smith a few times on the Remington vs Savage debate. He told me he loves both but if money allows it for his personal builds he gets a custom action every time, otherwise he goes with Savage. He also commented on the fact that they are banning Savage actions in most F class meetings due to them being, and this is the best part, "far to accurate and deemed custom by most officials. I don't know if thats BS but he knows his stuff and was trained by a very famous Sniper. Im not 100% sure on all his info but he is an awesome guy to talk with.

I think your fine with either a blueprinted Remington or Savage action. There really is no bad choice there.

savage sucks...and anything remington makes is wasting ur money...

laugh.gif

Seriously tho, I believe the Savage "2-stage" trigger is way better than a stock remy trig, but other than that, just save for a little while longer and get something custom...which is not that much more than ur budget..

Keep an eye out on the for sale site also. You never know what you may come across. Just a thought for you.

savage. and there are plenty of aftermarket items available. also, you never need a smith. also you may try calling the factory and ordering one in a better stock like a mcmillan or HS if they can do that for you and save you the time

i cant say anything bad about a rem700 cause i have no experience and i just dont roll that way. its been around for a while and plenty of people do work on them, so its gotta be pretty good.

but i went with the savage in a nice HS stock and them swapped on a shilen and bedded the whole thing. did it all myself. first time, first bolt gun

So the Savage appears to be a bit more user friendly when it comes to working on them at home.

Get the Remington 700 SPS Varmint, 26" .308 for ~$550. Toss the injection molded stock in the parts bin and buy a decent stock. H-S Precision, McMillan, and several others make lefties. That leaves you money left over for a Jewell trigger.

Mine shoots really good out of the H-S Precision without bedding. Now I have a McMillan on the way in order to try out a more vertical pistol grip style stock.... should be more natural position for prone shooting. Regardless, lots of options out there - much more than I thought there would be for us lefties!

Could someone recommend a good custom smith for me to speak to? I would be more than willing to look at a price quote for going that route.

there are a few on the site, but you could have a nice factory savage in an HS and bed it yourself and be way ahead. or buy one and send it to someone.

here on this site there is
GA Precision
WNRoscoe
short action customs
ive heard people mention excorio
sin arms

crap i forgot kevin rayhill (i think) at stockade and savagegunsmithing.com

im sure there are more. and there is a lefty section here on the site

Wow, I have to say that I have spent some serious time in the last two days looking in to the option of custom building a rifle.

This was something I had never known could be done for reasonable price.

I am pretty excited to custom build one and I am %100 sure that is what I'm going to do. As a lefty I just don't see the exact options that I want in a stock setup. While close, everything was a compromise.

Thanks everyone for the help, I'll share my progress when I start building!

if by chance you need a savage base for the build, try jim at northland. you can get a bare receiver for a savage build in blued or stainless, not sure about lefty though.