• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alpha vs. Accurate Short Mag Magazine Rehash

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    OK, before you admonish my Google skills and tell me this has al been covered before, I want the CURRENT first hand experiences with these mags. If you don't like them because of a rattle or any cosmetic issue then I don't need your input. I am building a 6.5PRC and need mags that will feed it so that is what I need. Real world experience saying the latest production are great, good or s##t. BTW, if it matters, I'll be shoving them into a TAC30 AW action.

We have an accurate 3rd mag and an alpha 7rd mag for our 6.5 SAUM both fit 140gr Hybrids at 2.960. Alpha really only holds 6 rounds..

All I need them to do is hold and feed five rounds most of the time. Since you have both which brand works the best the most?

To be frank they're on Dad's SR3 which i've not shot much. Gun has almost 100rds through it. I've not had issues out of either though the alpha gets a little tight at 6rds, really tight at 7rds. The accurate says the OAL restrictions are 2.950 but our SAUM rounds are 2.960 or so. Had Mark at SAC put the lands at 2.970, i'm seating 10 thou off. So give or take 2.960 they fit just fine, less i've made a careless mistake somehow.

Working on getting a barrel for a 7 sherman short mag right now and i'll be using those mags this summer.

I don't think you could go wrong with either but you'll likely be waiting for Alpha. I had to email and call to get him to ship my mag 3-4 weeks later. They're good mags though. Area 419 carries Accurate WSM mags and ships for a reasonable price as well.

The 10 round Alpha mags are shorter and everything is very tight. You need to be more aggressive on running the bolt on that 1st round. The accurate mags have more room. Order fulfillment and customer service from Alpha mag sucks. I have both. Everything considered, I'd run Accurate mags.

The 10 round Alpha mags are shorter and everything is very tight. You need to be more aggressive on running the bolt on that 1st round. The accurate mags have more room.
    I haven't bought a Accurate magazine yet. But the Alphas I have are waaaay smoother on that first round than the steel MDT mag I tried. That one MDT I bought was so unsat I actually threw it in the trash and will not buy another one.

The 10 round Alpha mags are shorter and everything is very tight. You need to be more aggressive on running the bolt on that 1st round. The accurate mags have more room. Order fulfillment and customer service from Alpha mag sucks. I have both. Everything considered, I'd run Accurate mags.

This is why i mentioned that the 7rd alpha mag isn't really a 7rd mag. 6rds is about it's max capacity. As Fur notes it becomes very hard to chamber the first round otherwise. Our accurate does feed smoother but i assumed it was on the basis of only having 3rds in there as opposed to 6 in the alpha. I haven't used the Accurate 10rder but on that i note i'd probably just stick with Accurate. I don't every really bad mouth anyone as long as they make it right but Alpha was a bitch to deal with. Doesn't answer the phone, no email reply, you just get it when you get it.

Piss-poor CS has seemed to be the most prevalent comment on Alpha in every thread. I would love to be able to just tune the AIAW mag and run them but have been told they would just not work for a short mag.
    Are there any other players that I may be missing for short mag magazines?

I have the 10 rd alpha mags, they work is about all I can say about them. I have had the same experience as fur sniper, the first round you really have to be aggressive on, if not it will bind half way and then you have to really slam it forward. After the first round all is good and feeds good. I did have a slight issue the second time that I bought some, the first two I bought worked perfectly right out of the box, the second two I bought fit really tight in the mag well and to get them to lock in you had to hit them or shove them in really hard. After I used them for a couple hundred rounds the new wore off and they fit perfectly.

I also just purchased an arc 10 rd mag and it would not feed at first because the nose of the bullet would hang on the action feed ramp. I know there has been issues with them feeding when they get dirty too. I know it’s ridiculous to have to modify a 70 dollar mag but if you do they are way smoother and make the action feel smoother. All that needs done (at least for 6.5 cm) the feed lips need bent out slightly and the front of the follower need trimmed and rounded off an 1/8” or so. Once you do that it is a much better feeling mag than the alpha but the alpha mags work right out of the box you just have to wait for them and may have to send an email to remind him that you have an order.

Everyone complains about the customer service but really the guy is just busy and usually if you wait a couple weeks and haven’t gotten your mags send an email or call and they will show up the next week. That’s not to say that he shouldn’t specify that it might take a couple months till you get your order but you will get them eventually just don’t order expecting them to be there the next week.

I just got in 2 of the accurate 7 round mags and a 3 round yesterday, i did add one of the area419 extensions to a 7rd, its long....

with my 300wsm they are feeding good, alot better than a converted 5 round aics mag that i have

need more time and need to run more rounds downrange but so far so good.

OK. I've decided on Accurate Mags for my PRC build. Next question, since it really isn't 100% clear to me from their description, would be will their 300WSM mag work with a short action? Again, I am using a Stiller TAC30 AW action for the build.

OK. I've decided on Accurate Mags for my PRC build. Next question, since it really isn't 100% clear to me from their description, would be will their 300WSM mag work with a short action? Again, I am using a Stiller TAC30 AW action for the build.
    Yes, it will work with a SA. Hope you have a magnum bolt face on that tac30.

I purchased 2 of the 10 end mags to fit my badger bottom metal. 10 days after ordering no package. I called Chris and was super understanding and got them to me with 2 days. Upon receiving them they both fir entirely too tight. I called back and he specified he would send me 2 replacements plus a shipping label to return the first 2 mags. 2 weeks later no such package... have been calling him the past week and a half with no response. Honestly looking to get a return with refund to go with AI... Figured I would support the smaller company but have been waiting over a month for compatable mags... I hope you read this Chris because we need to discuss this.