• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alright gents, lend me your ears...

ACPjunkie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2013
N. Ga
So Im starting to think about doing a short action rifle, something lighter and easier to carry than my MWS or 300WM. The specs as I've envisioned the, shorter barrel, 20in or less, a M40A1ish stock, Manners, Mcmillan ect. SOme sort of DBM, not picky on this matter.
Optics, something along the lines of a MK4 3.5-10 or NF 2.5-10x32, think smaller and lighter.

Now, the questions I have, What action? I kinda want to keep it KISS and go with a R700, but the Tikka T3 actions seem pretty nice as well, if I can find the after market support for it. Any comments on either of these?

Now, caliber. .308 being a favorite of mine for many reasons, top among them, ammo availability, any hicktown hunting shop will carry .308, damn near guaranteed.
Or, get into the 6.5 territory, either the 260, or the 6.5 creedmoor, both being about equal to me, I have no experience with either one.

Keep in mind, this will have a shorter barrel, 20in or less, does that nullify some of the pro's of going 6.5?

Any other thoughts?

Keep in mind, this will have a shorter barrel, 20in or less, does that nullify some of the pro's of going 6.5?

...and go with a R700, but the Tikka T3 actions seem pretty nice as well, if I can find the after market support for it. Any comments on either of these?

A 20" 260/6.5 will handily outperform a 20" 308.

The only real downside I can think of in choosing a Tikka is bottom metal choices. The only one available that I'm aware of is CDI, which works fine but isn't as "fine" a product as some of the other offerings out there for Remingtons.

The only downside to

A tikka dropped into one of the new XRAY stocks would be light, strong and have the benefit of a quality chassis for AICS mags.

Except my choice of optics (for now), I would say that I put together a rifle with similar spec, it turned out like this:
IMG_7590.JPG

Tikka T3 with a short barrel in .308 and a chassis wich uses AICS mags.

I wanted the same, got a T3 Lite in .308. with a generic load in cold and wind it held a hair over an inch group with 5 shots. Anxious to work up a load here shortly. Would like to upgrade to a MCS at some point (SL or EH4), but gonna be factory stock for a while. Stock feels pretty good, much better than the rem or savage factory plastic stocks. I like the dbm, could upgrade, but really like the flush fit of the factory mags. Wears a 2-7 now, hope to move to a 2-10, but thinking 40-44 vs 32 for low light conditions. Will cut barrel shorter (18.5") when I out her in a new stock.
It has to stay light as i am a pansy ass and usually hike 8+ miles/day in the mtns during rifle season.
Pictures when yer done with it

Now, caliber. .308 being a favorite of mine for many reasons, top among them, ammo availability, any hicktown hunting shop will carry .308, damn near guaranteed.
This may be true, but it's been my experience lately on calibers like that that just because they are carried, doesn't mean they are in stock. When things got crazy and the hoarding was going on, I couldn't find .308, 30-06, or .300 Win ammo anywhere here. But I could buy ammo for my .300 Wby all day long. Cause nobody else around here is dumb enough to own one, or pay $50 a box for ammo.

Is the tikka ctr available to you? Maybe of interest. Available in 20in threaded 260 or 308 with a trg22 dbm setup.