• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alternate to Berger 140 hybrids (6.5)

upsdownsideways

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
I haven't seen many if any of the Berger 140 hybrids in stock. Don't think I have received any notifications for them in 6 plus months.

Any alternatives to them that are more readily available? I jumped from hornady to berger before all the shortages started and got better results, but the lack of bergers available doesn't help if I can't shoot,

I gave up on the hybrids, cant find them. But you can find the Berger BT target bullets and they perform very well and they are typically less than the hybrids too.

Edit to add: I also run the 142 SMK, great bullet.

Last edited:
I haven't seen many if any of the Berger 140 hybrids in stock. Don't think I have received any notifications for them in 6 plus months.

Any alternatives to them that are more readily available? I jumped from hornady to berger before all the shortages started and got better results, but the lack of bergers available doesn't help if I can't shoot,
If you're after the same weight, you might try the 140 SMK's??? They're not as good as those Bergers, but do fine. And as mentioned above, the Sierra 142 SMK's might be worth a look, if you can find them, as they've done quite well for me.

Reactions: acudaowner
Berger is the most unobtainium of brands and the .264" 140 gr Hybrid Targets are the most unobtainium of Berger bullets.

Its not that supply is tight, its frakin non-existent.

I actually wrote to them a week or so ago with a polite email but the message basically was "yo guys, its the most in demand bullet out there and you aren't shipping any that we can find...at all. What's up with that".

Berger actually replied and told me that the 140 HT were not even on their current production list and that they were finishing up hunting ammo runs. Fucking hunting ammo runs in March??

I've had a B.O. for 140 gr HT loaded ammo with Creedmoor Sports for 15 months and its still unfulfilled. Also have one for just bullets...also, no where to be found.

I'm about to give up on them.

Berger is the most unobtainium of brands and the .264" 140 gr Hybrid Targets are the most unobtainium of Berger bullets.
I've actually been able to get 140's ... it's the 220's that haven't been available "anywhere" for over a year.

Reactions: T-dog
I just did up a load with 140 ELDs that's stupid good. Surprised actually as I've never had great results with Hornady.

I just did up a load with 140 ELDs that's stupid good. Surprised actually as I've never had great results with Hornady.
My SD with the 140's in my Tikka T3x TAC A1 (43.4 grs of StaBall) ... is 5.5 ... tough to argue with that.

There’s lots of options that work great as alternatives. Like has been mentioned, the ELDs are available and shoot well. The SMKs shoot well. Drop a few grains on the bullet weight and options open up even more.

I've actually been able to get 140's ... it's the 220's that haven't been available "anywhere" for over a year.
WTF have you gotten Berger 140 HT???

Last I got was from Mile High and I can't seem to find any since.

Good for you to get them....they are highly tradeable so perhaps you can find some takers for a trade for some 220's?

Its not that supply is tight, its frakin non-existent.

I actually wrote to them a week or so ago with a polite email but the message basically was "yo guys, its the most in demand bullet out there and you aren't shipping any that we can find...at all. What's up with that".

Berger actually replied and told me that the 140 HT were not even on their current production list and that they were finishing up hunting ammo runs. Fucking hunting ammo runs in March??

I've had a B.O. for 140 gr HT loaded ammo with Creedmoor Sports for 15 months and its still unfulfilled. Also have one for just bullets...also, no where to be found.

I'm about to give up on them.
@BoltRunner - just curious what you found humorous in the above quoted post?

You mean these?
2C2305F9-85A1-4EE8-B3BF-011E1A9B23B4.jpeg

@BoltRunner - just curious what you found humorous in the above quoted post?
The whole thing... The fact that Berger's priority is producing hunting bullets that get shot in way less quantity than match type bullets or the absolute most popular Berger Hybrid. I think that logic on a companies part is so fucking stupid its hilarious, mountains of guys are begging to buy 140 Hybrids even at inflated prices and Berger is producing their least popular hunting shit :ROFLMAO:

The whole thing... The fact that Berger's priority is producing hunting bullets that get shot in way less quantity than match type bullets or the absolute most popular Berger Hybrid. I think that logic on a companies part is so fucking stupid its hilarious, mountains of guys are begging to buy 140 Hybrids even at inflated prices and Berger is producing their least popular hunting shit :ROFLMAO:
I think berger would be smart to downsize the number redundant bullets they make. Do people even shoot the VLDs any anymore?

Yeah, that was my reaction too. Couldn’t believe it.

There's really not much guys can do besides keep your eye out and stock up on Berger's when you can and have an alternate that shoots as close as possible to your flavor of Berger. Unfortunately this is the world we live in now and I don't think things will change anytime soon. Even if Berger shelled out a ridiculous amount of Berger 140 Hybrids right now the demand is so high and so many guys have been waiting for so long they would be gone in minutes. Guys that used to buy 1 box would buy 10 boxes, guys that used to buy 5,000 would buy 50,000 if they could so the amount Berger produced is irrelevant due to the fact people have no idea when something will become available again so they hoard as many as possible.

Reactions: Baron23
I think berger would be smart to downsize the number redundant bullets they make. Do people even shoot the VLDs any anymore?

I do! 🙋‍♂️ But, not in 6.5mm. I use 175 VLD's in my .308 Win. They're the s**t when you find the seating depth. Super sonic beyond 1000yds in a .308 is always a good thing :)

Reactions: lash
Well, other than the recommendations for alternatives, this thread has been a bit depressing lol

Gonna try out the 142 SMK and another.

Thanks all.

Reactions: patriotnation
Ive got 1000 Berger .264 140g Hybrids if someone wants to go buy 2000 Nosler 140 RDF's I would trade straight up... You'll pay about the same price for 2K RDF's that you will for 1K Hybrids but you cant find the Berger's

Seems like us Canadians have one up over you guys south of the border...

Got these a few weeks ago.

(sorry)

• Haha
Reactions: BoltRunner
I'm in the same boat with my 300 win Mag. Loved Berger 230s but can't find them except a box here or there for way too much money. Had to move to Hornady A tips.
Berger always gave me the best performance but if you can't buy them, it's irrelevant.
We're 2 years into the craziness and if Berger can't figure their shit out by now, they're hopeless. Now that I've gone away from them, I don't plan on ever going back.
Their management should all be fired and replaced. Classic poor leadership and planning.

For those with 142 SMKs, how much of an adjustment should I make with my Berger 140 hybrid loads?

Drop it by a grain then work my way up? The length I am gonna be limited by magazine size, so I'll sort that part out later.

Don’t even think about 142 SMK’s. They suck. They’re awful. Waste of time. Don’t even come close to the Berger in performance. Don’t do it. You’ve been warned. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 357Max
Ever consider pointing and milling those open tip bullets? Like those mentioned here? Takes a lot of time and $$$ but if’n yer a retired old galoot like me it’s rather pleasant, therapy even for us simple minded folks. Done correctly the results may surprise you.

For those with 142 SMKs, how much of an adjustment should I make with my Berger 140 hybrid loads?

Drop it by a grain then work my way up? The length I am gonna be limited by magazine size, so I'll sort that part out later.
Yep. Or start at .010-.015 off if will fit. Dandy alternative is JLK 140

Classic poor leadership and planning.
Certainly, IMO, poor planning and you would think that they would be able to look at their backorders and re-orders and KNOW exactly what is in high demand and what is not. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case here. I was gobsmacked when told that 140 HT are not even on their current build list and that they were still working on hunting bullets/ammo in fucking March.

:ROFLMAO:

cheap american ocasional shooters are smarter than whole company...
And you are the moron who argued with the principal of ZCO as to where their scopes are made. You have zero business, IMO, commenting on anyone's intelligence.

• Love
Reactions: BoltRunner
144 hybrids, 153 hybrids 130 hybrids. Just got to jump when they come in stock and buy a bunch.

Mile high had 153's for $50 a box for months, should have ordered a few K of them.

You can backorder through a couple places and will get filled on their next run. Its 3-6 months between each Berger run so get the back orders in. 109s and 144s should be coming soon.

If you want them got to put in the effort, discord, bots, ect. If not, then you really didn't want them as bad as the other shooters so tough shit.

Certainly, IMO, poor planning and you would think that they would be able to look at their backorders and re-orders and KNOW exactly what is in high demand and what is not. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case here. I was gobsmacked when told that 140 HT are not even on their current build list and that they were still working on hunting bullets/ammo in fucking March.

And you are the moron who argued with the principal of ZCO as to where their scopes are made. You have zero business, IMO, commenting on anyone's intelligence.
Its pointless to make the 140s. The 144s do everything better and much more people want them.

No one here has any fucking clue what is going inside the plant at Berger or Capstone. Speculation either way is just hot air and not worth the electrons used to type this.

Its pointless to make the 140s. The 144s do everything better and much more people want them.

No one here has any fucking clue what is going inside the plant at Berger or Capstone. Speculation either way is just hot air and not worth the electrons used to type this.
Well, this is your opinion. As far as anything I may have said about Berger internal activity was direct from....wait for it...Berger.

The problem with berger availability as of late, they've been dedicating a lot their components to loaded ammo. They make more money on it. I've been hunting for 180 7mm and 30 cal 215s damn near a year it feels like.

144 hybrids, 153 hybrids 130 hybrids. Just got to jump when they come in stock and buy a bunch.

Mile high had 153's for $50 a box for months, should have ordered a few K of them.

You can backorder through a couple places and will get filled on their next run. Its 3-6 months between each Berger run so get the back orders in. 109s and 144s should be coming soon.

If you want them got to put in the effort, discord, bots, ect. If not, then you really didn't want them as bad as the other shooters so tough shit.

What are the websites that allow backordering?

I have been looking for Berger 6.5 140 Hybrids for the last year. I am down to my last 74 rounds. They are the best bullets I got for shooting 6.5 Creedmoor to a mile. I use Hornaday 140's for 1000 yards and in. But the Hybrids shine way past that in terms of consistency with an avg of 2830 fps in my loads.

I gave up looking for those and started stocking the 140 VLD Hunters that have been popping up. They have an AB custom curve for my Kestral so, I am hoping they preform similarly.

I do find it baffling how they pushed out that new 153.5 which looks to me only good for 6.5 PRC. Its stability in 6.5 Creedmoor is marginal at best using their own stability calculator.