• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alternative for varget for 308 / 223

BigRso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Whats up everyone,

Well as we all know components are not easy to get our hands on right now. I usually use Varget for my 308 bolt gun and 223 Ar15 loads. I wanted to know everyones taught on temp stable , powders that produce accurate loads. I will be stocking up at the end of the week and need some help on what route to take.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Ive been using Win 748 because i had a bit of a stock pile. This is a 5 shot group I shot out of my 308 using 178 AMAX and 38.4gr with WLR primers and once fired brass. uploadfromtaptalk1379476182792.jpg
I don't usually go for "precision" with my ar15 but the loads my dad worked up get me on target.

Not sure what you mean by temp stable so please forgive my ignorance. :)

Last edited:
IMR 4895 and IMR 4064 work well as does Alliant Powder Pro 2000MR and Reloader 15. As well as the aforementioned Winchester 748.

Plus one on Rl-15 .Shoots great.Just not as temp stable as Varget.Buts its not too bad on at hot or cold day.IMR 8208 also shoots little bug holes and is very Temp Stable.But it will build up pressure quick.I find IMR 8208 similar to N-135 in performance.

Regards,Mike

I've had good results with TAC in .308 and .223
wanted to try some of the powders already listed but havent found any on the shelf
no idea on temp stability.. its always hot here..

I use benchmark in 556 with 69 Grs bullets and it is excellent. I think it would be too fast for medium weight 308 bullets (175s). I use varget there. Maybe lighter 30 cal pills would be ok with benchmark.
I just read an article comparing powders for 223 and 308 in different bullets. I will try to find the results.
I think CFE and mr2000 were high finishers.

I just picked up some IMR4985 and read its a good powder for 223/308. Supoposidly the to to before varget.

Doesn't throw all that amazing I've been told but supposedly a good powder performance wise

748 is my go to powder for both cartridges.

I use 748 for my 223 loads and have had excellent results. I don't like stick powder for the 223 because they tend to spill quite often unless I funnel each one. I primarily use IMR 4895 in my 308 loads for my AIAW and TRG 22 and get less than 0.5 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups. I also used 748 for the 308 but not enough to comment on.

Last edited:
So went to powder valley Varget was gone but picked up 8# imr4985, 4# win 296 for Blk Out, and 5000 ct of tula sm rifle primers. So I am happy as a pig in shit and get this the wife actually didn't bust balls said wow that's a deal. I guess she even got use to the local shops outrages prices.
Anyone use these tulas before I have used wolf with good results I figure Russian same thing no?

If you run across TAC in the future, I heartily recommend it. I picked up IMR 4895 as well while I could. It will serve you well. Never used anything but CCI primers but I heard Wolf primers were GTG-also heard TULA is the same company in Russia but have not verified ANY of this info.

I've ran IMR 82028XBR in my .308 LMT and have had great results with the 168/175gr pills. I have tried it in my .223 bolt guns, but I don't remember finding anything worth mentioning. That being said, I have read here and other places that 8208 works well in both cartridges. I'm going to try it in my 7-08 for shitz and giggles soon.

I am so tired of chasing powder, stupid

I have had a 8# of varget ordered since 10/2012 from Sinclair

I check powder valley like the tooth fairy and I always end empty handed.

One powder not mentioned for the AR is AA2230. Works great, I don't know about availability.
For the 308 any of the 4350 powders. Hard to find but it is out there. RJN

Someone asked about BLC2. It is SUPPOSED to be fairly equal to the military powder WCC846 which is used in many 762 military loads. I've used a limited amount of BLC2 and got good results, but 4895 and TAC are my go-to's for that caliber.

On paper AR-COMP is the powder that meets your requirements. Designed around .223 and .308, extremely temperature stable (saw one test that put it at half the temperature sensitivity of Varget), and the kernels are smaller than Varget for better metering. I have not tried it in .223 yet, but I have had excellent results in .308 with it.

I'm really wanting to try some IMR 4320. Right next to Varget on the burn rate chart, and readily available. I know it won't be as temp stable, but I bet it's a good substitute.

Any thoughts on using H335 for 223? I am able to get an 8# keg. Thanks

Back away from the computer.
Put your hand in your back pocket.
BUY THE 335 NOW.
You can thank me later-your shirt shouldn't touch your back until the powder is yours.

H335 is one of the best 223 powders on the market and roughly equivalent to WC844 military powder. Also highly useful in 308 etc. Due to this it is also rarely seen for sale in the present drought.
Just my opinion, but I bet I have backup on this one.......

I was able to score that powder and primers from PV and scored some 175gr smk , 147gr pulls , and 77gr nosler, so I should be good I am hoping for at least 5 mths before my component adventures start again. I cant believe its a constant rat race for compnents where the F_ _ K does all of this shit go people most have stock piles which God Bless them but damn all it does is drive the cost up for everyone. Anyway enough with my rant hopefully everything comes before 5 mths lol

I've ran IMR 82028XBR in my .308 LMT and have had great results with the 168/175gr pills. I have tried it in my .223 bolt guns, but I don't remember finding anything worth mentioning. That being said, I have read here and other places that 8208 works well in both cartridges. I'm going to try it in my 7-08 for shitz and giggles soon.

I had good results with 8208 in 308 as far as accuracy, not so much in 223 then again I was trying to work a 55 gr load up may be more suitable for a heavier bullet IMO. meters well which is a plus if I am not mistaken it was a benchrest go to powder so would explain why it grouped so well in my bolt gun only reason I stop using it was heavy bolt lift with the load I was running and a few flatten primers.

Whats up everyone,

Well as we all know components are not easy to get our hands on right now. I usually use Varget for my 308 bolt gun and 223 Ar15 loads. I wanted to know everyones taught on temp stable , powders that produce accurate loads. I will be stocking up at the end of the week and need some help on what route to take.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mike

I use Varget in .308 and 7.62x54r, was also looking for "plan B" as Varget often MIA, did some test with the 7.62x54r and this is what I found. Keep in mind that I had no previous dope at that distance and the rifle and scope are 70 years old but altogether it worked out alright. Check it out, hope it can help; I also shot it at 100 yards, it was right there with Varget and as accurate, about 1 1/4 MOA in this rifle. I meant 2400 FPS, duh... ;)
Mosin-Nagant 1943 Tula Sniper Rifle on Vimeo

Last edited:
Mike

I use Varget in .308 and 7.62x54r, was also looking for "plan B" as Varget often MIA, did some test with the 7.62x54r and this is what I found. Keep in mind that I had no previous dope at that distance and the rifle and scope are 70 years old but altogether it worked out alright. Check it out, hope it can help; I also shot it at 100 yards, it was right there with Varget and as accurate, about 1 1/4 MOA in this rifle. I meant 2400 FPS, duh... ;)
Mosin-Nagant 1943 Tula Sniper Rifle on Vimeo

Thank you it was helpful and another option to keep in mind. Great shooting as well!

Be well,
Mike

VV N140 is very close to the burn rate of Varget. N150 is slightly slower and works very well with longer barrels and gives better velocity without pressure problems.

On the Long Range Palma circuit, Several of the top tier shooters use N150.

Reloader 15 is also used by many to great effect.

Whats up everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I ran out of Varget and worked up some H4895 with my 175 SMK. I was surprised how well they shot. 40.8gr gives me just over 2600 FPS out of a 26" Bartlein with supressor. Lapua brass, CCI 200 or BR2 primers.