• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Aluminum oxide

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Best/cheapest place to buy 120 grit aluminum oxide blast media?

Thanks, keithr41

Re: Aluminum oxide

I buy mine locally in 50lb bags/boxes. It's pretty dense stuff and therefore probably not a great candidate for shipping. I'd recommend checking locally to see where you might be able to pick some up locally.

I was given 25 lbs of 180 grit. Will this work or is it too fine?

Keith

Have you looked into coal slag abrasives? Its WAY cheaper than aluminum oxide. Our blast cabinet is in storage 1300 miles away so we have been renting time in a boat shop. They use coal slag in their cabinet and its something like $10 for a 50lb bag. But obviously you would need to be using a cabinet with a vac/filter system.

Don't have the vac system. Duracoat recommends aluminum oxide. Not how sure how ur stuff would work.

Google or yellow page for sand blasting supply company close to you, they will probably have 120 AO and if you use corn grit for tumbling get some at the same time.

wade

I found it locally at a supply place for swimming pools.. maybe check your local one?

It's impossible to get locally but Lauer said 180 will work.

I use glass beads if I want a smoother, more glossy finish. I use 120 grit aluminum oxide if I want a little more "texture" to the finish. I used some 90 grit skat blast for my IDPA pistol's slide and it gave it a nice rough texture, great for a competition gun.

The surface profile created specified grit size is crucial to the durability of the finished product. 100-120 aluminum oxide is the range that yields the best durability. Too coarse of media and the finish will not cover the peaks sufficiently and minimal abrasion will scratch/wear through your coating. Too fine and the finish will not get enough tooth to hang onto and will chip off real easy. If you venture outside the manufacturers recommendations do not blame the product when the results do not meet your expectations. It's all about the surface prep.

That's good to know because I got hammered something like $1.22 a pound for 200 pounds of 120 grit aluminum oxide from the industrial media supply outfit in Portland Oregon. They quoted me .70 cents a pound over the phone and when my driver arrived 4 hours later the receipt said $244. I certainly wasn't going to pay another $100+ fuel to take it back so I just bent over and took it dry. It will be awhile before I ever break even on my Cerakote operation!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be banned for this one, but it is like $35 for 50 lbs at Harbor Freight. </div></div>

I did the Harbor Freight thing myself. Money saved is money saved.
    More to spend on powder..