• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ALUMINUM SHOOTING TRAILER PROJECT.

THUNDERBOLT68

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2009
TEXAS
First,
IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Re: NEW TMAC-STOMP SHOOTING TRAILER PROJECT

It is in the works. I am already building a bracket for Honda Generator.....

Put stake pockets on then you can have a removeable tower.

Holy shit adopt me all alloy nice job i hate to think how much they will cost finished. I would copy the tower idea it looks awsome and will allow you to still have the trailer setup and have a high platform it is always a pain to go shooting and not be able to see over the terrain or long grasses.

Looks like an awsome start and only3?

Also why not get a large inverter and 2 good 12 volt batteries that way you wont have a tacti-uncool jenny running giving away your shooting position. i just wonder how you are going to get it anodised now that would be awsome especialy that cam patytern they can do now or all Mil spec hard anodised.

Well, I am checking in to that. My anodizer out of Olney, Tx. has 40 ft tanks. He does alot of anodizing of horse trailer extrusion.
But, there in Australia you guys have great trailers...
I love your camping trailers. In fact One of these will probably be like your JOHNNO's trailers. They are great....

now that will be something to see when it is finished. I would love to see your finished design.

wild bill,
the reason there are three is, I learned a little on each oneThe learning curve is not easy. The one on the table is my personal one. The other ones well actually they are pretty good. ( it was the 6 before that were not what I wanted... )
This whole project started out like this:
I had some old Tailgates laying around so I thought I would get rid of my GMC truck and just drive my Landrover. So, I was going to build these tailgates into a trailer. Then I could have the size or bigger bed to use to haul stuff around. Well, the process started and 5 tailgates later I started building trailers. I wanted it done right.. The tailgate trailer were cool but they were not right. I sold them to an oil field co. as water trailers. They put 1000 gal water tanks on them...
So That is the story behind the trailers......

"This whole project started out like this:"

Classic!

Good choice on the couplers. What axles did you end up going with? Check out LED lights if you haven't already (pretty cool).

Whats your ground clearence directly under the hitch and tongue. looks like your main brace is pretty low to the ground. How does that affect off road travel?

Do you plan on making the top out of aluminum? How much weight do you suspect you can hold with aluminum tubing and that kind of height?

RGraff,
I will prob. go with dexter torflex axles, I have a sealed wiring harness being made. I will be putting lots of L.E.D. lights.
KYshooter338$,
It is optical illusion, The lowest part will be the axles. Since you brought that up I think I will goe with straight axles. The whole trailer will be aluminum. Th tubing will be my landing gear tubing on my dump trailers. ( They will hold about 25 tons of weight in a trailer plus the trailer. ) As for the height, I am not sure what to do. what height do you think I need to get to. Most of the prarie dog trailer set ups I have seen are not very high.I like the idea of being able to put trailer in garage and raising it when shooting. Obviously, not going up and down will make a more stable platform as well as stronger trailer....

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Guys At this time I am not going to make these trailers to mass produce...In the end I will have about three left over that I will be selling to get rid of.... These will be my learning curve trailers...I will be selling them for " Cost of Material( excluding Aluminum material ) Then I will weigh the trailer and sell it for $2.50 / lb.</span></span>

Dexter makes good stuff. It looked like you used spring hung axles on your protos so I was just curious as to capacity.

Keep the pics coming...looks like your having fun with it.
smile.gif

Yes the first little one that has tires and wheels on it has a 6000lb. axle.
It bounces all over road when empty... I will probably purt differant springs on it..

You have the coolest stuff TBolt.

Thanks.... Just wait until you see this trailer when it is completed.

9ft max height is my vote. I wouldn't make the height adjustable. That will make it less sturdy. Being that bouncy with no real load on it is a downer but you can live with that by changing your leaf springs.

That is why I am switching to torsion axles.
What do you guys think about making the floor solid.

where can I see the pics?

What no one wants to give their 2 cents. This is the quietest I have ever seen the Hide.

Looks good, I wish I had the tools to put something similar together...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RGraff,
I will prob. go with dexter torflex axles, I have a sealed wiring harness being made. I will be putting lots of L.E.D. lights.
KYshooter338$,
It is optical illusion, The lowest part will be the axles. Since you brought that up I think I will goe with straight axles. The whole trailer will be aluminum. Th tubing will be my landing gear tubing on my dump trailers. ( They will hold about 25 tons of weight in a trailer plus the trailer. ) As for the height, I am not sure what to do. what height do you think I need to get to. Most of the prarie dog trailer set ups I have seen are not very high.I like the idea of being able to put trailer in garage and raising it when shooting. Obviously, not going up and down will make a more stable platform as well as stronger trailer....

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-weight: bold">Guys At this time I am not going to make these trailers to mass produce...In the end I will have about three left over that I will be selling to get rid of.... These will be my learning curve trailers...I will be selling them for " Cost of Material( excluding Aluminum material ) Then I will weigh the trailer and sell it for $2.50 / lb.</span></span> </div></div>

Is that 25 tons (50,000 lbs)? That exceeds a number of semi trailer weight capacities. With a 6000 lbs axle and 500 lbs trailer I would hold the weight to 5500 lbs or put 9 axles under her
grin.gif

Aluminum is notorious for breaking around the welds. Seems that the heating and cooling are detrimental to the integrity of the metal so watch your welds when using the trailer especially when under heavy loads. Remember you will want about 100 to 200 lbs tongue weight when the trailer is loaded (so you don't put too much on the truck). You will have to calculate what resident weight will be on the trailer and where it will set in relationship to the axles. I have a great little trailer that I got too light on the front end by putting the axle forward a 1/2" too far to off-set for the spare tire (it runs on 33" Goodyear MTR's, its my 4-wheeling trailer
smile.gif
)

Pat

MtGoat,
Sorry for the confusion, I was refering to the tubing that I was going to use for the elevated plat form.( It is the same tubing I use on the Drop legs when Manufacturing Semi-aluminum dump trailers.) They will hold a trailer up that has 25 tons of sand or gravel in them.
As for the aluminum welds breaking, not these trailers. I am using .250" aluminum sheet, tubing,and 6061 T-6 extrusions. ( basically I am using the same stuff I build my dump trailers out of, which will carry 50,000 lbs. at least ) I know these trailer I am building will not because of the axles. The weak point will be the axless.
Thanks for the input. I also learned the point of axle relationship to the tongue on my first trailer I built. This is why my personal trailer will be two axles. ( Better at distribution of weight. As well as can carry much moer weight. )

You guys rock.

There are so many applications for a trailer like that.

From the obvious shooting platform there is also Photographers, commentators at school sport events. DJ at biker part and of course Pole dancers at same party.

I guess your only limited by imagination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bow before CKA, and ask for his mercy! </div></div>

You can say that again Brother...

Wish I still had the pics. A buddy took a Tear Drop trailer and ripped out the kitchenette in the back and squeezed in a generator and reloading bench with a Dillon RL1050. Towed it to the Steel Challenge every year 'cause in one week you can easily shoot over 3-4k rounds.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscbigdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish I still had the pics. A buddy took a Tear Drop trailer and ripped out the kitchenette in the back and squeezed in a generator and reloading bench with a Dillon RL1050. Towed it to the Steel Challenge every year 'cause in one week you can easily shoot over 3-4k rounds.

Rich
</div></div>

That, is an awesome idea!

You would think until the guy behind him rolled in with a full motor home with 2 1050's and a 650 in back and loading 10k rounds for the practice week and match weekend.

Rich