• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Aluminum Supressors

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    tried putting this in the search box, but nothing came up. I was wondering if had any info how the all aluminum suppressors hold up. Form 1 Builders offers a solvent trap kit that can be changed after one has their tax stamp from applying for a Form 1 which i recently submitted. Wanting to know if someone has tried one on a 6MM or 6 dasher? Will the all aluminum get to hot?

It depends on what the baffles are made of. Centerfire rifle cartridges would eat aluminum baffles pretty quickly. If the tube is aluminum but the baffle stack is steel should be fine.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Baffle erosion is severe with aluminum and centerfire rifles. It also can't take as much heat as the better alloys. Save your money and buy a good suppressor, they're a lifetime purchase due to the tax and background check

There are a reason a lot of suppressors use at minimum titanium or often super alloys, the environment at the muzzle is ruthless on centerfire cartridges. High heat, high pressure, and high speed powder particulate. Suppressors are a lifetime purchase JMGlasgow said, aluminum isn’t a lifetime material in these applications.

Its funny that most all of the "kits" are all aluminum. And ti parts are much less available.

I would only consider a suppressor of aluminum construction for 22LR. My first 22LR can was a one-piece aluminum. The second time I learned my lesson. Number two RF can is a YHM Stinger that is made to handle even the rimfire magnums. Plus, it is made to be taken apart for cleaning.

Reactions: VanJoe
    My Harvester is SS baffles and aluminum outer tube. It has thousands of rounds through it ranging from 223 up to 30-06. There is no baffle wear to speak of but cleaning it sucks because it has aluminum. The cleaning stuff that works efficiently is harmful to aliminum and can be harmful on stainless.

Titanium is used because it's strong and light. I'm not an engineer or metallurgist so I'm sure there are other properties that make it a good choice.

Consider what the back end parts (that are in contact with hot exhaust) of jet engines are made of. (I work with these almost everyday).
    Udimet
    Inconel
    Mar m 247
    Waspalloy
    17-4ph stainless
    440c stainless

Front end
    Titanium

Holding everything together
    Aluminum

Titanium works great for tubes its just that it is expensive.

As a machinist I will never own a can that is mostly aluminum. I know how easy it is to cut. And damage. Doesn't matter whether it is 6061 or 7075, for this purpose aluminum to me is too cheap.

In my opinion, if the suppressor is 100% of alloy, the weakest link is the thread.
    I know from 22LR side, that some times some s..t get´s on to the threads, and it does not need to be much, when it get´s on wrong
    thread, and damage the suppressor threads.
    22LR is not get hot, like centerfire guns, like in the range, when you shoot several rounds, barrel get´s hot, and the suppressor even hotter.
    If you try to get remove that hot can of the barrel, it can easily damage the suppressor threadings, alloy is quite soft when it is hot.
    And i dont think that is the baddest scenario, that dirts between the threads is the killer.
    Alloy does not like dirt on the threads, it´s easily jump over the threar, and that´s it.
    Suppressor that has moved from the firing line, and does not center the can to the bore line, is a hazard, or the accuracy is lost.
    I use very much suppressors, i love them.
    Not much time ago, i had camo tape wrapped to my barrel and i went to a range to check me zero.
    I add my can over the barrel and shot few rounds, i was like what a fk, this rifle does not done this before, and i losen the suppressor and check what is wrong, that very thiny piece tape was getting under that suppressor one side, so it was not lined, and that bullet tail got
    touch to the can last baffle, when it lefth the suppressor, and that coused a 2 feet impact change to the POI on a hundred meters.
    So if you use high tech suppressor, when the baffle hole is not much bigger than the bullet you shoot, it might have dramatic changes.
    I do not use 30 caliber supp on a 6,5mm rifle, since that supp that is made for 6,5mm is more quit than, if i shoot it .30 caliber can, i have tested that.
    If i would be i wise guy, i would not use all my money on vanity, i would use only one suppressor, but i am a keen on these, so i want
    precise can for precise caliber :)
    Luckily in Finlad, suppressor dont cost too much and we do not need to get request a license for suppressor.
    As long as you got a gun license, you may buy as many you want.
    We think in Finland, that suppressor is like a muffler on a car, it reduce noice, and that it does, how come politics can not think that same.
    It is stupid to think, that if mister X has 100 guns, he can not own a suppressor, because hi might use is on a wrong purpose.
    It is a muffler a god deam, not a part of assassination.
    Many people who live close to gun ranges, would love that there would be use a suppressor on the range, because it can reduce that noice over 20-30db, so yes please, say yes for suppressor USA!!!

And thalking about alloy suppressor.
    These can´s i and my son are shooting are made of alloy and titanium.
    Very nice and quiet.

Last edited:
    Titanium at the minimum for high pressure centerfires. Leave the aluminum for pistols and rimfires.

Reactions: viking78
    Titanium at the minimum for high pressure centerfires. Leave the aluminum for pistols and rimfires.

SAKO has done 100% supp made from alloy, cost in Finland 199,00€, equal as 210,00$.
    And one model made 100% with titanium, that cost about 800€, about 900$.
    Sako optisup.

Seems like theres a lot of conjecture in this thread as to whats an acceptable material for a silencer... we have a 7075 Al centerfire rifle silencer product line that is in its 2nd generation and has been extrremely well received and a noted top performer from a specs, features, sounder performance, and price standpoint.

GASTM30__52242.1552504684.jpg

The Sportsman Ultra Lite .300 and .338 feature our Taper Mount interface, 7075 tube body, 17-4 stainless blast baffles and a 7075 stack. Theyre user serviceable and among the lightest, most price competitve centerfire cans aimed at the hunting and precision shooter markets.

I'd encourage anyone reading this post to listen to the Material Selection episode of The Dwell time Podcast where Austin covers the considerations one should take into account when designing a silencer and choosing the appropriate material. He has more experience designing and manufacturing silencers than just about anyone else in the industry and holds multiple patents for baffle designs, modular functionality, and user serviceability features. Here is a link to the show: Silecners 101 - Material Selection (Griffin Armament's Dwell Time Podcast)

So being that a suppressor purchase is considered a lifetime investment, how many rounds can an aluminum suppressor take before severe erosion takes its toll and it becomes useless? What is the heat threshold of 7075 in a suppressor application?

The SiCo Harvester 300 weighs 11 ounces and has stainless steel baffles and can also handle 300WM in the 30 caliber version. I own one and it's had several thousand rounds fired through it with no signs of baffle erosion.

Your 30 caliber suppressor weighs 11.4 ounces and is made from all aluminum. Why does it weigh more?

Last edited:
    Reactions: 260284
    What Griffin posted is all well and good, but compared to whats available readily in the form1 world, its really an apples to oranges comparison. Most of the stuff available is not in high grade heat treated aluminum, unless you have access to a machine shop and heat treat oven, which at that point kits are out of the question anyway.

What Griffin posted is all well and good, but compared to whats available readily in the form1 world, its really an apples to oranges comparison. Most of the stuff available is not in high grade heat treated aluminum, unless you have access to a machine shop and heat treat oven, which at that point kits are out of the question anyway.
    What the heck you talking about?

You buy 6061 t651 or 7075 t651. It is already heat treated. That is what the t651 means. Or in other words why the heck would you buy non heat treated material?

Aluminum cuts easy. You can cut it with woodworking power tools if you lubricate it with wd40 or something like that and take multiple passes.

Interesting read. Iv got a gem tech tracker in jail, got it at a price I couldn’t pass up, by was also interested in the harvester. Surprised to hear they both have aluminum tubes.

I purchased a trap from form1builder and so far I like it. I've shot it on 5 different guns so far. An ar-15 in .223, an ar-15 in 6.5 grendel, a couple different 6.5creed bolt guns and my 22-250 bolt gun. It works pretty well. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it. I actually just took it apart and cleaned it up. there was no noticable pitting or anything of the sort. While it definitely is not made for full auto, it works very well for my hunting and plinking needs. I did do a fairly quick 20 round dump out of my .223 ar-15 and was able to grab the suppressor and twist it right off without any gloves or a wrap or anything. Mind you it was also only about 30 degrees out.

The ONLY complaint that I have about my form1builder purchase is that their customer service is absolute garbage. I've emailed them twice about possibly picking up some extra parts, but they won't even bother emailing me back. I can't seem to find a number either so the next solvent trap I buy will be from a different source.

Because you cannot buy “spare parts” or make any repairs to your suppressor once it is manufactured!

Because you cannot buy “spare parts” or make any repairs to your suppressor once it is manufactured!
    I don't think that is an accurate statement in the least.
    The serial number has to stay intact as that is what identifies the suppressor with BATFE.
    A friend of mine made a mistake with his Silencerco and they repaired it with no questions asked.

I agree with shoot4fun. If repairs couldn't legally be made to a suppressor, why would any manufacturers provide warranties? As long as the serialized portion of the suppressor isn't what needs to be repaired or replaced, then there should be no issues..... Besides that, I wasn't trying to contact them to order spare SUPPRESSOR baffles. I was trying to get some spare SOLVENT TRAP baffles...

Yea, they (qualified individuals) can make repairs. ... they can even make lots of other fun stuff. But I digress, why would you post that on a public forum? Just to bitch about somebody. That’s all. ;)

Or maaaaaybe I posted it to let people looking for solvent traps know that it's fucking impossible to get in contact with the people from form1builder.com should they have questions or concerns? Maybe? But I digress, if you go back and read post #19 you'd see that I am overall VERY happy with the solvent trap I purchased from them, just not happy with their inability to communicate with customers... Why would you assume I posted it just to bitch about someone? Is it because you look stupid for assuming I was trying to get spare SUPPRESSOR baffles from a company that sells Solvent traps? If that's it, well sorry for your luck but that's on you. That's all. 😘

• Haha
    Reactions: Yogitx13
    I run an AL 22 can (CGS Hydra) and the only complaint I have is the cleaning. Can't use ultrasound or tumblers on anodized AL baffles.

Aluminum rifle silencers are extremely common outside the US. Some use stainless steel inserts at the mouth of the baffles to limit extended use erosion. They're commonly used on hunting rifles. Aluminum baffles, depending on design, can be quieter compared to their stainless equivalents. Aluminum allows additional material for geometry and design features that can't be obtained in super thin stainless.

I run an AL 22 can (CGS Hydra) and the only complaint I have is the cleaning. Can't use ultrasound or tumblers on anodized AL baffles.

They're really easy to clean. Just coat the interior surfaces of the baffles in bore butter before you use it and most of the fouling wipes right off. I hear welding anti-spatter works as well.

Last edited:
    Aluminum rifle silencers are extremely common outside the US. Some use stainless steel inserts at the mouth of the baffles to limit extended use erosion. They're commonly used on hunting rifles. Aluminum baffles, depending on design, can be quieter compared to their stainless equivalents. Aluminum allows additional material for geometry and design features that can't be obtained in super thin stainless.

They're really easy to clean. Just coat the interior surfaces of the baffles in bore butter before you use it and most of the fouling wipes right off. I hear welding anti-spatter works as well.
    I'll try the bore butter idea thanks

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    Soaking baffles in C4 carbon remover works great on a rimfire suppressor. With relatively low round (a few 100), no scraping is required- At least that has been my experience.

Reactions: gunner442
    I purchased a trap from form1builder and so far I like it. I've shot it on 5 different guns so far. An ar-15 in .223, an ar-15 in 6.5 grendel, a couple different 6.5creed bolt guns and my 22-250 bolt gun. It works pretty well. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it. I actually just took it apart and cleaned it up. there was no noticable pitting or anything of the sort. While it definitely is not made for full auto, it works very well for my hunting and plinking needs. I did do a fairly quick 20 round dump out of my .223 ar-15 and was able to grab the suppressor and twist it right off without any gloves or a wrap or anything. Mind you it was also only about 30 degrees out.

The ONLY complaint that I have about my form1builder purchase is that their customer service is absolute garbage. I've emailed them twice about possibly picking up some extra parts, but they won't even bother emailing me back. I can't seem to find a number either so the next solvent trap I buy will be from a different source.
    PM'd you

Received 95% suppressor made from alloy, only the thread is made from stainless.
    290g weight, 210mm lenght, diameter 45mm.
    My rifle is 6.5CM and can is made for .30 caliber.
    It would be little bit efective, if it would be same diameter hole, but still pritty quiet suppressor.
    Suppressor is Ase Utra Radien, main purpose for this suppressor is for hunting, but it seem to hold quick 5 shot too.

Reactions: brettb614
    Consider what the back end parts (that are in contact with hot exhaust) of jet engines are made of. (I work with these almost everyday).
    Udimet
    Inconel
    Mar m 247
    Waspalloy
    17-4ph stainless
    440c stainless

Front end
    Titanium

Holding everything together
    Aluminum

Titanium works great for tubes its just that it is expensive.

As a machinist I will never own a can that is mostly aluminum. I know how easy it is to cut. And damage. Doesn't matter whether it is 6061 or 7075, for this purpose aluminum to me is too cheap.
    @LeftyJason: in that context, what are your thoughts about aluminium sleeves/outers for suppressors, if the baffles are stainless?

@LeftyJason: in that context, what are your thoughts about aluminium sleeves/outers for suppressors, if the baffles are stainless?
    The outer tube is the part that is the actual serialized part. Keep that in mind.

You can but keep the temps down for sure. The stainless can take more heat that will transfer to the aluminum.

What would the point of an aluminum outer tube be? Weight reduction? In that case go for a manufactured can like Thunderbeast or others that are reputable. For cost? It's the serialized part. Might push you to realize the manufacturers do pretty good work. For ease of machining? Look up speeds and feeds for machining stainless and take the time to do it properly. Not that hard. If you're threading it the threads will last longer in stainless.

Youre welcome to do what you like but I want my cans to last a long time. The laws could go crazy and you or your decendants might not be able to get new ones. Make a quality product the first time and you will be happier with it in the long run. Aluminum is great for practicing techniques. Not always the best for final products.

The outer tube is the part that is the actual serialized part. Keep that in mind.

You can but keep the temps down for sure. The stainless can take more heat that will transfer to the aluminum.

What would the point of an aluminum outer tube be? Weight reduction? In that case go for a manufactured can like Thunderbeast or others that are reputable. For cost? It's the serialized part. Might push you to realize the manufacturers do pretty good work. For ease of machining? Look up speeds and feeds for machining stainless and take the time to do it properly. Not that hard. If you're threading it the threads will last longer in stainless.

Youre welcome to do what you like but I want my cans to last a long time. The laws could go crazy and you or your decendants might not be able to get new ones. Make a quality product the first time and you will be happier with it in the long run. Aluminum is great for practicing techniques. Not always the best for final products.
    Thanks.

Not serialized where I live - you can just walk into a store and buy one over the counter. And, unlike almost everything else gun-related, they're cheap here - quality models can be had for the equivalent of just a couple of hundred USD.

The local context is what's available; only one manufacturer who uses titanium, and those come in either a fairly small (and light - 164 g or 5.78 oz) hunter model, or larger ones that aren't direct thread.

Other makers or imported models seem to use aluminium for the outer tube for weight reduction. The boss / threaded section is still stainless.

In my case, I'm running the other maker's titanium hunter models for hunting and field rifles, but just want something bigger and more effective for a dedicated night hunting rig (where first round pop is more of an issue), and for a longer-range magnum calibre build.

Yep, laws can go crazy. When they did here, nothing was "grandfathered" - it just got taken from us.

Thanks.

Not serialized where I live - you can just walk into a store and buy one over the counter. And, unlike almost everything else gun-related, they're cheap here - quality models can be had for the equivalent of just a couple of hundred USD.

The local context is what's available; only one manufacturer who uses titanium, and those come in either a fairly small (and light - 164 g or 5.78 oz) hunter model, or larger ones that aren't direct thread.

Other makers or imported models seem to use aluminium for the outer tube for weight reduction. The boss / threaded section is still stainless.

In my case, I'm running the other maker's titanium hunter models for hunting and field rifles, but just want something bigger and more effective for a dedicated night hunting rig (where first round pop is more of an issue), and for a longer-range magnum calibre build.

Yep, laws can go crazy. When they did here, nothing was "grandfathered" - it just got taken from us.
    Dobermann,
    I'm interested in this small light (5.78oz) titanium suppressor you mentioned. Primarily, how is it designed, dimensions, tubing thickness, number of baffles etc. Any help would be appreciated. Link to manufacturer etc.
    Thanks

Dobermann,
    I'm interested in this small light (5.78oz) titanium suppressor you mentioned. Primarily, how is it designed, dimensions, tubing thickness, number of baffles etc. Any help would be appreciated. Link to manufacturer etc.
    Thanks
    The manufacturer is Oceania Defence. Their site used to be public-facing with models, but is now showing as either needing an account and/or under development.

Do a quick internet search and you'll find them listed on some NZ retail sites, which have some specs.

The manufacturer is Oceania Defence. Their site used to be public-facing with models, but is now showing as either needing an account and/or under development.

Do a quick internet search and you'll find them listed on some NZ retail sites, which have some specs.
    Thanks

Here in Euroland Aluminum suppressors are quite the norm on bolt action rifles. But of course we do not have the licencing cost you have in US .

200-250$ lasts at least the barrel life and then you buy something new.