• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I being an idiot here?

CEO10KaDAY

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2023
Denver
I’m looking at a couple different chassis options. All based on the Rem 700.

Came across a couple I thought were neat - there’s this Akila brand I found that seems pretty sweet and then found a much cheaper option. The Sharps Bros Heatseeker which goes for only $430.

I’m building on a coup de grace action which I know is optimized for AW mags, but wasn’t sure if that chassis would take AW.

So I asked, I wrote them a quick email asking if the chassis would take AW mags and the owner of the company wrote me back and all he said was “AW?”…. Is it wrong of me to assume that he ought to have know what I meant?

I gave him an explanation I found online that differs the two mags out and all he told me was that his chassis is meant to work on AICS magazines… duh… but I don’t think I want to go with that chassis anymore since I was only given a one word response.

AW (meaning arctic warfare) is the same dimension and the mag catch is in the same spot as an AICS mag?

Cheers and merry Christmas.

I’m looking at a couple different chassis options. All based on the Rem 700.

Came across a couple I thought were neat - there’s this Akila brand I found that seems pretty sweet and then found a much cheaper option. The Sharps Bros Heatseeker which goes for only $430.

I’m building on a coup de grace action which I know is optimized for AW mags, but wasn’t sure if that chassis would take AW.

So I asked, I wrote them a quick email asking if the chassis would take AW mags and the owner of the company wrote me back and all he said was “AW?”…. Is it wrong of me to assume that he ought to have know what I meant?

I gave him an explanation I found online that differs the two mags out and all he told me was that his chassis is meant to work on AICS magazines… duh… but I don’t think I want to go with that chassis anymore since I was only given a one word response.

AW (meaning arctic warfare) is the same dimension and the mag catch is in the same spot as an AICS mag?

Cheers and merry Christmas.
No, the catches are in different spots effectively. The AW is lower. Some chassis and actions will take both either incidentally, or because they have adjustable catches. Fortunately you can modify the catch for the AW mag easy enough, by shortening it.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
Most chassis that accept AICS mags will accept AW mags, it’s just a matter of what your action is cut for. But here’s a better question…

Why are you buying a good, well made, custom action and then shopping the cheapest, no name chassis’ you can find?

Most chassis that accept AICS mags will accept AW mags, it’s just a matter of what your action is cut for. But here’s a better question…

Why are you buying a good, well made, custom action and then shopping the cheapest, no name chassis’ you can find?
That’s a fair question. I’m just saying I came across that chassis and thought it looked pretty slick, just personal opinion. I’m absolutely not going to buy it now that the owner wrote me back saying “AW?”.

Big red flag

Reactions: Stag556
ARC Xylo will work with my CDG with AW magazines and can be swapped to my Nuke 2.0 with AICS without change to the mag latch.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Those sharps chassis are junk. If you want a cheap chassis buy a KRG.

With a screen name like that I wouldn’t think you’d be looking at peasant level rifle components.

Haha. I’m looking at all options just because I’m new here. I’ll admit it looks kinda swate, but I mean it’s obviously junk once you get the magnifying glass out.

If you want to run AW mags, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a chassis with an adjustable mag catch. Every action is a bit different, and every mag. Being able to tune the fit in a few seconds is extremely beneficial, especially when the action needs all the help it can get to strip rounds out of the mag reliably.

Aero has their Solus chassis on sale right now for ~$520. I have one. I’d say it a fantastic value at even twice that price. I have an ACC Premier and an Elite, and had a MPA BA, so I’m very familiar with what the top chassis are like, and I’ll still recommend the Solus chassis to anyone looking for a higher value option.

Last edited:
Aw mags to function properly usually need to ride hight and tight to the action for enough case head presentation to efficiently strips rounds into the chamber. This means you want an adjustable mag latch, or a chassis manufacturer that has multiple length mag latches that you can file to fit. Adjustable latch is much easier! I tried to utilize aics with my CDG in a mdt elite and it just didn't seem to want to work very well. I set that up to run aw anyways.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
1703616393999.gif

If you like the look for the sharps bro stuff but want a quality product get something from XLR, and with a 2K budget you can get pretty much anything they offer.

The XLR also has an adjustable magazine latch system that I believe now comes standard and is available as an upgrade for older chassis that don't have it.

Reactions: King_beardsly