• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Am I calculating this group right?

Kuayara

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2017
Went to the range today and shot this 3 shot group. The grey square is 1 square inch. I measured this group to be 0.489" in largest dimension and then subtracting 0.308" for the caliber of my bullet gets me 0.181" grouping. Is this correct? This doesn't look that tight to me.

Attachments

• photo53053.jpg
    photo53053.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
Went to the range today and shot this 3 shot group. The grey square is 1 square inch. I measured this group to be 0.489" in largest dimension and then subtracting 0.308" for the caliber of my bullet gets me 0.181" grouping. Is this correct? This doesn't look that tight to me.

If you put a quarter (for reference) then hopefully someone with Ontarget software will measure it for you. For me looking at it I am going to question the .489.

Still the group is well under .25 and if you can replicate those results with five shot groups then you have a very nice rifle, and you are using it very well.

A quick calculation in Ballistic AE says 0.263". Try measuring with calipers from the gray edge of the holes as opposed to just the missing paper.

Attachments

• photo53065.png
    photo53065.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
there is an app called range buddy that will help in measuring groups and i believe it is free. pretty simple to use as well.

nice group by the way!!!

Thanks for the responses. Here is a photo with a quarter for scale if anyone has Ontarget. I will check out the range buddy app too!

This is from my first time shooting from a bench unsupported in a seated position so I'm pretty happy with the result.

Edit: Rifle is a Ruger Precision Rifle Gen II in .308 with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope. This is only my third time shooting it and I couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

• photo53086.jpg
    photo53086.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
using the range buddy app I got a measurement of 0.260 inches or 0.25 moa
pretty much th same results as LRnovice