• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Am I crazy? 1-4 power on a meat-gun

idahowitzer

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
Boise, ID
I'm looking at getting a lighter bolt gun with perhaps a Vortex Viper 1-4 PST for hunting mule deer and elk. I have a fixed 10 power on a budget "precision" build (SPS tactical, SS10x42, Bell Carlson Medalist Tactical). Last year, when a buck that was shot by a friend trotted in front of me at 25 yards, it was tough finding him, and then it was tough finding what part of his body the scope was on. Needless to say, he was put down, but so often we spot them up close.

It seems entirely possible to make, 400, yard shots on game with 4 power and a .308. I enjoy taking long shots, but while hunting, I rarely find those shots ever being presented, nor does it match how I like to hunt.

-Phil

Re: Am I crazy? 1-4 power on a meat-gun

It really depends on the ranges you'll be using it at. A 1-4 really seems more at home on a brush/drive gun tho, I personally think a good ole 3-9 is about perfect on 95% of hunting rifles

mount a small offset red dot? Might take some adjusting, but should be cheaper to mount than a new PST

2-10x

I run a fixed 6x.

Never found 1x to be enough to satisfy. Sure it worked if i HAD to, but...

4x seems even more lackluster. Especially on animals where you want to make that perfect shot the first time. An acog works on people because you arent trying to eat them.

Lowest I will go is a 2.5-8, 4 power just isn't enough for me especially at 400 yards.

My #1 rifle I use in Alaska, wby340 with Leupold Alaskan FXII, fixed 3 power. Not once over 35 years I have used this combo have I ever needed more magnification. Longest shot was just over 400 yards in unit 20, 250 was average in unit 15, 16, 13 and 24.

Remmy 700 ADL 06 had bushy 3-9, sat mostly on 4x

Wby 7mm mag had VXII 3-9, used mostly on 4x

Wby 300 had VXII 1-4, used mostly on 3x, swapped it out for VXII 3-9 and was always on 3-4x

I came to my opinion after years using the above when I picked up my Wby 340 that I wanted a fixed 3x or 4x, I went with the 3x and have never wanted or needed more.

Opinions vary but for big game meat in Alaska, my opinion and experience is and has been 4 power is plenty.

I have a 1-4x on one of my main hunting rifle(.45-70 guide gun) but thats primarily for brush and some small fields. I love it as I can swing the gun to my shoulder and acquire my target almost immediately. You know you capabilities more than anyone here....If you feel comfortable using 4x at 400 yards then I say go for it. You'll be happy as hell you did when that next buck walks by at 25 yards.
smile.gif

For years I used Leupold 1.5-5 scopes on all my rifles. Learned to shoot tiny groups at 400 with my . 308 and 7mm magnums. They work find if you are not shooting crows. BTW, I always used them at 5x. Never turned them down.

I have the pst 1-4 on my AR and I have no problem, consistently printing minute of deer groups on steel at 400 yards.

Go for it they are great scopes for the money, and they are versatile.

Crazy is hunting deer with a fixed 10x.
0-400yds is what a 1-4x optic is designed for. If you are worried about that not being quite enough magnification, look into some of the 1-6x, 1.5-6x, or 2-7x optics out there.

I run fixed 6x on a 25-06, 1-4 on everything slower. One exception is my main hunting rifle, 30-06 fixed 2.5x leupold. Lots of antelope, deer, and elk in last 45 years. Farthest shot taken 250 yds. I would have taken farther shots,just never needed to.

I've got a 2.5-10 Bushnell 4200 and love it. I've shot hogs at a few feet away all the way to 300(about as far as I'm going to shoot at an animal). Personally I like a little more mag. Personally it makes me more confident in a clean kill and not wounding an animal. I also mainly shoot at animals with a smaller kill zone than an elk or big mulie.

Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 illuminated. 30mm tube. I have one on my AR and love it. Great for mid range or close in.

Lee.

It seems that a lot of guys like the 4 fixed power for a stright fixed power scope. and a lot of guys that use a variable power scope use it mostly on 4 power as well. If I were building a light weight rifle for deer hunting (Meat Gun) I would use a Loupold 4x12. The VXII would be pleanty enough scope for a rifle like that. Just keep it set on 4 power and it will do well for most of your shots at a Deer. But when the oppertunity presents its self for that long range shot at a trophy Buck at 400-500 yds, You will have time to crank it up to 12 power and put one in the boiler room. Less might be OK. But its nice to have a scope with 12X at that range. jmo. 12x is nice at the range too.

I like the 1-4 or 1.5-5 and think they work just fine for hunting out to 400+ yards, so do fixed low power scopes.

My dall sheep hunting rifle is a mauser 30-06 with a 1.5-5. It is 6.5 LBS with scope and sling and a joy to carry in the Alaska Range.

I think you are on the right path. a light weight .308 rifle with a low power scope is a fantastic tool.

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 1-4 or 1.5-5 and think they work just fine for hunting out to 400+ yards, so do fixed low power scopes.

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110 </div></div>

Absolutely but a large obj high mag scopes looks so much better!

Fashion overrides function!

Light is right, lighter is righter.

Well,

coming from a totaly different scope culture than the US one, a 1,5-6x42 is the standard for a "any rifle" that does include some driven game hunts and all other tasks as well,

a 1-4x straight tube is a pure driven game deal and the next most common and my favorite is a 2,5-10x 42 or larger, that is a scope capable of all tasks from driven game, stalked game to extended ranges game.

IMAG0059.jpg

That is what a decent driven game/mountain rifle should look like. the 9,3x62 hits like a hammer 325 grain or 250 grain load depending on the job at hand.

/CHris

1-4 on the hunting rifle here, at least the one I like to carry around lol.

If you are hunting a big open field from a hilltop, then you may not like it, but if you are in "woods" like there is a lot of around here then I think it would be very handy to you as well. The 1-6 of course or a 2.5 to 10 ballpark would be great too.

I grew up with a 4x fixed Leupy on a .270 and it served me well in the thick timber in Montana. I have to say I am a glass snob now and I run my "match-gun" scope on my deer/elk gun during hunting season, my small scope is 3.8x17 USO and my big one is 5x25x58, I simply can't go back after looking through such amazing glass...even though you pay a weight penalty for it! I carry a lever action marlin 30/30 for a brush gun with open sights in case I trip over one, but the rifle is in the pack for the longer stuff.

DSCF2037-Copy.jpg

DSCF2020-Copy.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

taken with my model 770 30/06 with my current "match gun" scope with was a Night Force 5.5x22x56 in Montana

DEERHUNTINGPICTURESV.jpg

taken with my 30/30 "brush gun" with open sights at about 50 yards in Northern Nevada

barrettfirstkillII.jpg

Taken with my "match gun" scope at the time a Leupold 8.5x25x50 with BORS on top of my Barrett 50 BMG at 650 yards in Dillon Montana....maybe overkilled him a touch
smile.gif
Got him in the throat and didn't waste any meat though!

I think that a light weight gun is great, but my dumb ass never learns and I always punish myself in the mountains every year, but I have never been looking through my "match gun" scope and wished I had LESS magnification, though it does come with its weight penalty and on top of that I feel the need to bring the other rifle with me so I can shoot on the move, off hand, etc... and still have the ability to set-up which is my preferred method of hunting is to find a high spot and glass and then try to get into position for a shot, but as you all know that sometimes "shit happens" and that buck or bull comes out of no where and gives you seconds to react. My hunting buddy thinks I am mental, and I can't argue that with him, but I have to have my golf bag! Some times you need the driver and some times a pitching wedge will do!
smile.gif

Leupold vx6 2-12 may be right in your wheelhouse, Bushnell 2.5-16 as well.

Personally, I shoot a sightron SIII 8-32x56, of the last 5 or 6 coyotes I've shot, only one has been more than 30 yards away. Most were on the move too.

Use what you like, you have to deal with it, people had me worried, telling me 8x on the low end is way to much, you'll miss everything close.

The one coyote was about 10 feet away when he saw me, turned and trotted towards standing corn, he was dead at about 15 feet.

I like the scope, it was what I wanted, you'd be smart to get what you want.

I guess like everyone says it really has more to do with your personal preferences. I have always hunted with the lightest rifle available and have never had more than a 4x fixed power scope.

I hunt both afoot and off horseback. This type of rifle lends itself well to both a carrying strap and a saddle scabbard. Small objective fixed power scopes are way handier in a scabbard than scopes with big objectives.

I have never found this type of scope to be a hindrance when shooting. It is really quick in the timber but no disadvantage in open country.

I have made accurate shots to 400 yards and beyond with this setup. Not something I like to do but I have been on the edge of starvation once or twice.

I think the low magnification fixed power is the real deal in the timber. Quick and natural to point!

I didn't think a 1-4 or similar scope would be good for hunting until I looked through Donovan's 1-6 Swaro Z6. I ran out and bought one to run on my 3-gun AR. It's so good that I plan on using it some to kill coyotes in a couple months. The BRT reticle is great for shooting out to 600 yards. Each horizontal hash line below the cross-hair is 1 mil.

Just chiming in with the rest, 1.5-6x42 on a 30mm tube is a serious piece of glass. Next choice would be a 2.5-10.

I've just gotten into the Accupoint scopes, the 1-4x24, 3-9x40 and the 2.5-10x56 all reside on my "go to" guns for nuisance/predator control. If you shoot low light the 30mm tubes on low power are amazing.

Cheers,
Breze

Just as a side note; when prey is too close for the fixed power of my scope or if you don't have time to adjust magnification- I've had good success with keeping both eyes open during initial target acquisition then going to one eye if need be. Just my .02 cents.

It might be an Alaskan thing but I concur with .45.308 on the seldom need for magnification.

I really like the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25x4 with the triangle reticle on my 375 H&H. I have made shots from 20-350 yards with it. The reticle is amazing. I also have a 1x6 Swarovski on another 375. It is a great scope, but I really prefer the light weight and reticle of the Trijicon.

I am of the thought 1-4 or 1-6the is about perfect for hunting unless its prairie dogs or long range. Now if you're going to punch paper then you might need more magnification. Look at the new vortex razor it looms about perfect for a hunting rifle scope to me.

2.5-10x50 for me. Love the low power for spotlighting coyotes at night, but nice to be able to dial up on those further shots.