• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Am I crazy?

Voltron

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Rexburg ID
I recently bought a Steiner 3-12x56 and I have an SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD. I have been looking through the scopes and trying them on various powers comparing them, and the glass seems to be equal. I also have been playing with the turrets and all the other stuff and I like the way the turrets feel while turning a bit better on my SWFA scope. I will say this as my caveat, I've had 3 of the SWFA 5-20 scopes and the one I'm comparing has the best turrets of the 3 and the glass is better than one scope and just barely better than the other. The turrets also are stiffer than the other 2 on the one I have. I feel the current SWFA scope I have is a prime example of the SWFA 5-20 scopes.

So am I crazy thinking that my SWFA scope is equal in glass quality and build quality to my Steiner?

I love both the scopes; I like the extra features the Steiner has such as the windage rotation limiter, zero stop, daytime bright illumination, second rotation indicator, etc.

In any situation I am very pleased with both scopes and feel fortunate to own them.

What are your thoughts of the Steiner scopes vs SWFA 5-20?

I recently bought a Steiner 3-12x56 and I have an SWFA SS 5-20x50 HD. I have been looking through the scopes and trying them on various powers comparing them, and the glass seems to be equal. I also have been playing with the turrets and all the other stuff and I like the way the turrets feel while turning a bit better on my SWFA scope. I will say this as my caveat, I've had 3 of the SWFA 5-20 scopes and the one I'm comparing has the best turrets of the 3 and the glass is better than one scope and just barely better than the other. The turrets also are stiffer than the other 2 on the one I have. I feel the current SWFA scope I have is a prime example of the SWFA 5-20 scopes.

So am I crazy thinking that my SWFA scope is equal in glass quality and build quality to my Steiner?

I love both the scopes; I like the extra features the Steiner has such as the windage rotation limiter, zero stop, daytime bright illumination, second rotation indicator, etc.

In any situation I am very pleased with both scopes and feel fortunate to own them.

What are your thoughts of the Steiner scopes vs SWFA 5-20?

Interesting observation, I've been thinking about saving up for a Steiner. But was thinking about getting a swfa in the meantime. You now kinda have me wondering about the whole situation. It will be interesting to see the other responses to this post.

I don't know about the Steiners but I think my 5-20 SS is a really impressive scope for the money. I compared it to a friends NF Mil Spec that everyone was buying a couple years ago and we both felt the glass was easily as good to our eyes and I think the build quality on the SS is exceptional. Maybe not up to NF standards for durability but we weren't freezing them in buckets of water or hammering nails into boards with them and seeing if they held zero. My 5-20 makes me have serious reservations about paying more than double the cost for another scope.

The only things I'd want in the SS and be willing to pay for is a fully illuminated reticle and possibly reticle options. Imagine it with a G2 or H59 or something like that.

I've been lusting after an alpha scope for awhile now, so given the price of the 4x Steiner scopes on EuroOptic I took the plunge and bought the 3-12. It's a great scope and you can see why the price was once double the price I paid. I've had the chance to shoot with other range go'ers alpha scopes and I've been impressed. With that being said, I feel the SWFA 5-20 is an amazing scope for the money. The glass is excellent, tracking is solid, built like a tank, turrets feel good, etc. I'm sure that the big dogs like S&B, Hendsoldt and other alpha manufacturers have features that beat out the SWFA 5-20, but I'm starting to realize that what the SWFA gives up I don't need. I am a paper puncher and steel ringer, now if I had bullets flying back at me I'd probably like the extra features given the situation. I feel very content with my scopes that I own and think they aid me in shooting further more accurately. I could be wrong, but for my needs and budget I don't think there is a better scope on the market for the price than the SWFA 5-20. They also have a solid warranty on them and they offer great customer service. If I had the ability, I would love to have S&B scopes on my rifles, but as a college student budget that's not going to happen anytime soon. As I mentioned in my first post, I feel fortunate to own the Steiner & SWFA scopes that I have. Both companies make great scopes at good prices.

I'm sure the SWFA IS just as good as the others. The proof is in the pudding. So if you like the flavor, it must be good pudding. Lol. Good glass is a must to be a successful marksman. But you don't have to sell the house to get good glass. I'm sure a lot of the huge price tags are based on longevity in business and reputation just as much as features, materials used and warranties. From how you and others speak of the SWFA's, I think I'm going to give them a try. Partly because there cost new is still very reasonable. And because they offer a wide selection of scopes/options. I looked over gunbroker for used scopes, but everything was either too expensive or had .25" adjustment increments. I'd prefer .10.

If swfa offered differant reticles would be great. I also think the 5-20swfa get the job done at a great price. Does it beat my USO sn-3? No. Buts its half the price and works great id buy another anyday. I personally think to my eye the swfa 5x20 is a better glass than my nxs. If they offered a gapmil type reticle id buy another. The new steiner is on my list