• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I forgetting any essential components?

USN_Sam1385

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Hey guys,

First time re-loader, just getting into the hobby. I selected the following components to get my toes wet on reloading for my .308.

I tried to go as budget as possible, and will probably only be churning out about 200-300 rounds a year.

Here is the starter list of components I have thus far. Am I missing anything that I will need to fully get started???

Thanks

<span style="font-weight: bold">List:</span>

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kit Includes:</span>

Challenger Breech Lock single stage press,
3 Breech Lock die bushings,
Lee Safety Scale,
Perfect Powder Measure,
powder funnel,
lock stud and cutter,
Lee chamfer tool,
primer pocket cleaner,
large and small Safety Prime
tube of sizing lube.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Other Components I found I will need:</span>

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 308 Winchester

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller

Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 308 Winchester

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case 308 Winchester

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual

Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz

Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #5 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester 50-Round Blue

<span style="font-weight: bold">As for my first loads:</span>

Brass: I am going to use match grade .308 brass I have from Match HSM, FGMM, and Hornady ammo that has been fired.

Powder: IMR 4064 Smokeless Powder 1 lb (how many rounds can I make with 1 lb, approximately? I know it will vary some.)

Bullet: Sierra MatchKing Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 168 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100

Primer: What do you guys recommend for good starting primer for .308, with the 168 grain?

So, that is my list thus far.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Total Cost: $260, including tax.</span>

Am I forgetting any essential stuff? What would you guys change, remove, or add?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Re: Am I forgetting any essential components?

Fortunately, you have done well getting almost everything. Unless I missed them in the list, I would suggest a case mouth brush (nylon ones last best), and a deburring tool for the case mouths. The deburring tool makes it alot easier to slide the bullets into the case without buggering up the base or boat tail.

The number of loads out of a pound of powder will depend on how many grains of powder you use for each load. The amount of powder will be determined by the bullet weight, and results of your accuracy testing. Each pound of powder has 7000 grains, and if you figure you will use between 40-48 grains of powder, you can just divide 7000 by the grains used in each case to find out how many per pound. 7000 divided by 44 will yield about 159 rounds per pound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fortunately, you have done well getting almost everything. Unless I missed them in the list, I would suggest a case mouth brush (nylon ones last best), and a deburring tool for the case mouths. The deburring tool makes it alot easier to slide the bullets into the case without buggering up the base or boat tail.

The number of loads out of a pound of powder will depend on how many grains of powder you use for each load. The amount of powder will be determined by the bullet weight, and results of your accuracy testing. Each pound of powder has 7000 grains, and if you figure you will use between 40-48 grains of powder, you can just divide 7000 by the grains used in each case to find out how many per pound. 7000 divided by 44 will yield about 159 rounds per pound. </div></div>

Thank you. I added a "30 caliber case neck brush" to my cart. As for the deburring tool, I believe that is what the "chamfer" tool is that comes with the starter kit. Correct me if I am wrong please. Thanks again. :)

It looks like you are trying to get started without spending a fortune. I can respect that as it can get really expensive as you move into "precision" reloading. The one thing I might change from your list is the dies unless that set uses the collet die. Maybe get a set from RCBS or Redding or Hornady. Not the Competition sets just the basic ones, they should not cost much more. But if you do stay with the Lee dies at least get some locking rings to go with them. Those Lee rings with the rubber lock will drive you nuts and you will need to adjust them often. This item will help

Locking Ring

You are correct the Lee Chamfer tool does also deburr. I think for a budget setup you are headed the right way.

I started with basically the same set up you're looking at... first thing I wanted and bought was a digital scale, I got a chargemaster combo, but I think even the Frankford Arsenal one, for $30-$40 IIRC, would be an improvement over the lee scale.

I would actully save up for a while longer and buy all the good stuff right off the bat, that way you don't end up buy'n a bunch of crap that will collect dust in the long run. I have 3X as much stuff as you listed just lying around not being used because I started off small and cheap and then did massive upgrades. Thus I ended up spending 2-3X as much as I would have if I had just done it right from the get go.

I would get a press with comp dies
three way trimmer
chargemaster 1500

That's all you really need and you'll get much better ammo than the other method.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would actully save up for a while longer and buy all the good stuff right off the bat, that way you don't end up buy'n a bunch of crap that will collect dust in the long run. I have 3X as much stuff as you listed just lying around not being used because I started off small and cheap and then did massive upgrades. Thus I ended up spending 2-3X as much as I would have if I had just done it right from the get go.

three way trimmer
chargemaster 1500

That's all you really need and you'll get much better ammo than the other method. </div></div>

3x as much stuff lying around huh... wanna sell some of it? ;-) What u got?

I generally buy once, cry once. However, I think for the minimal amount of reloading I will be doing, just for one gun, this set up should get the job done.

What are the difference between competition dies and regular? I assume the comp. dies are much more precise, and something I should get off the bat..

Lee has excellent customer service too if you break anything. You'll eventually upgrade some stuff as you go. I think the most important on your list is change to the collet die, and get the redding body sizer. I like the Lee neck sizer and use the redding body sizer when I need to. (the Lee FL sizer sucks!) The seater that the collet dies comes with is pretty good too. I thought it was one of the best and got really good result. I upgraded recently to the Redding comp seater and getting even better results. It seems to be more consistent so far. Oh... Swith out that stupid Lee scale. Mine held zero once, sent it back, still did'nt hold zero and threw it away. For $30 more you can get a dillon one or something? I eventually broke the lever area on the press (don't remember name of part)but they replaced it right away. That's my experience with Lee reloading kit. Chargemaster, 3-way trimmer etc makes reloading alot easier for sure. Here's the .308 seater I got for a pretty good price at Midway Redding seater

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastgixxerlv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee has excellent customer service too if you break anything. You'll eventually upgrade some stuff as you go. I think the most important on your list is change to the collet die, and get the redding body sizer. I like the Lee neck sizer and use the redding body sizer when I need to. (the Lee FL sizer sucks!) The seater that the collet dies comes with is pretty good too. I thought it was one of the best and got really good result. I upgraded recently to the Redding comp seater and getting even better results. It seems to be more consistent so far. Oh... Swith out that stupid Lee scale. Mine held zero once, sent it back, still did'nt hold zero and threw it away. For $30 more you can get a dillon one or something? I eventually broke the lever area on the press (don't remember name of part)but they replaced it right away. That's my experience with Lee reloading kit. Chargemaster, 3-way trimmer etc makes reloading alot easier for sure. Here's the .308 seater I got for a pretty good price at Midway Redding seater </div></div>

So, you are saying, instead of the:

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 308 Winchester: $25.99

I should get:

Redding Competition Seater Die 308 Winchester: $94
Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 308 Winchester: $20
&
Redding Body Die 308 Winchester: $26

Is the extra $115 really worth it for a guy just starting out??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would actully save up for a while longer and buy all the good stuff right off the bat, that way you don't end up buy'n a bunch of crap that will collect dust in the long run. I have 3X as much stuff as you listed just lying around not being used because I started off small and cheap and then did massive upgrades. Thus I ended up spending 2-3X as much as I would have if I had just done it right from the get go.

three way trimmer
chargemaster 1500

That's all you really need and you'll get much better ammo than the other method. </div></div>

I generally buy once, cry once. However, I think for the minimal amount of reloading I will be doing, just for one gun, this set up should get the job done.

What are the difference between competition dies and regular? I assume the comp. dies are much more precise, and something I should get off the bat.. </div></div>

I have tons of crap (tricklers, 505 scales, deburring knives and the like) weaseled away in boxes that I need to just toss on ebay or something.

I would def. get comp dies right off the bat. They allow for a more adjustable and repeatable set-up plus you can factor in different bullets without any headaches. Also, depending on which model/brand you buy they will help seat the bullet correctly. You end up spending 60 or so bucks more but it's well worth it. The chargemaster 1500 saves a ton of time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would actully save up for a while longer and buy all the good stuff right off the bat, that way you don't end up buy'n a bunch of crap that will collect dust in the long run. I have 3X as much stuff as you listed just lying around not being used because I started off small and cheap and then did massive upgrades. Thus I ended up spending 2-3X as much as I would have if I had just done it right from the get go.

three way trimmer
chargemaster 1500

What are the difference between competition dies and regular? I assume the comp. dies are much more precise, and something I should get off the bat.. </div></div>

I have tons of crap (tricklers, 505 scales, deburring knives and the like) weaseled away in boxes that I need to just toss on ebay or something.

I would def. get comp dies right off the bat. They allow for a more adjustable and repeatable set-up plus you can factor in different bullets without any headaches. Also, depending on which model/brand you buy they will help seat the bullet correctly. You end up spending 60 or so bucks more but it's well worth it. The chargemaster 1500 saves a ton of time. </div></div>

Well, take a look at my start up list. If you have some of the stuff that is not included in the kit, and want to part with it shoot me a PM and we will work something out.

Okay, here is the updated list. Price went from $260 to $419... you guys are assholes. :)

132834 IMR 4064 Smokeless Powder 1 lb
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $22.99 $22.99 Add to Cart

136199 Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $5.89 $5.89 Add to Cart

151578 CCI Large Rifle Primers #200 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $30.99 $30.99 Add to Cart

200390 Redding Competition Seater Die 308 Winchester
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $93.99 $93.99 Add to Cart

271467 Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 308 Winchester
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $4.49 $4.49 Add to Cart

347244 Sierra MatchKing Bullets 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 168 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $29.99 $29.99 Add to Cart

417494 Hornady Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $24.99 $24.99 Add to Cart

423081 Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $91.99 $91.99 Add to Cart
Includes: Challenger Breech Lock single stage press, 3 Breech Lock die bushings, a Lee Safety Scale, Perfect Powder Measure, powder funnel, lock stud and cutter, a Lee chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, a large and small Safety Prime and a tube of sizing lube

459683 Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Modified Case 308 Winchester
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $4.99 $4.99 Add to Cart

519525 Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz
Sale!
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $6.79 $6.79 Add to Cart

536734 Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #5 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 308 Winchester 50-Round Blue
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $5.99 $5.99 Add to Cart

555614 Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 308 Winchester
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $19.99 $19.99 Add to Cart

570611 Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action
Sale!
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $26.99 $26.99 Add to Cart

620746 Redding Body Die 308 Winchester
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $25.99 $25.99 Add to Cart

758987 Hornady Case Neck Brush 30 Caliber
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $2.29 $2.29 Add to Cart

Anyone bored enough to review and tweek it?? Thanks in advance if you do.

I'm loading 168 HPBT and have been using benchrest primers for their consistency. Never had a problem out of them. Whne you buy brass, just buy winchester from bass pro or midway. Excellent brass and holds up. Hodgdon h4895 or Varget is excellent for that caliber. Look at midway at their Ogive measurer. It looks like a 1" nut but measures ogive on different calibers. Cost like $10 alot cheaper than the Hornady. Measure those round off the ogive as the Hp is not always the same. Pick you up a hand primer if you don't have one. I have winchester primers I use in my 165 HPBT and their funky looking with off colored and all. Buy some spray one shot case lube. It's makes the lubing fast and easier. Get a electronic scale and go for the Lyman Accutrimmer it's cheap and works like a charm. Did I miss anything else guys? As far as basics you have it. Try and find stuff to help speed up your process like loading in stages. I resize and deprime. Clean and trim then prime then load. Makes it better than setting at a press for 5 hours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm loading 168 HPBT and have been using benchrest primers for their consistency. Never had a problem out of them. Whne you buy brass, just buy winchester from bass pro or midway. Excellent brass and holds up. Hodgdon h4895 or Varget is excellent for that caliber. Look at midway at their Ogive measurer. It looks like a 1" nut but measures ogive on different calibers. Cost like $10 alot cheaper than the Hornady. Measure those round off the ogive as the Hp is not always the same. Pick you up a hand primer if you don't have one. I have winchester primers I use in my 165 HPBT and their funky looking with off colored and all. Buy some spray one shot case lube. It's makes the lubing fast and easier. Get a electronic scale and go for the Lyman Accutrimmer it's cheap and works like a charm. Did I miss anything else guys? As far as basics you have it. Try and find stuff to help speed up your process like loading in stages. I resize and deprime. Clean and trim then prime then load. Makes it better than setting at a press for 5 hours. </div></div>

Guy I trust told me that the BR primers are overkill for me, until I get more 'match grade' components.

Type of powder has been noted, and added to wishlist.

What is "ogive" and how does it work, what does it measure etc??

I thought the kit came with a hand primer, is it something else?

As for the lube, this stuff will work for now, I am in no rush.

As for the accutrimmer, the trimmer I am getting is $6, is the extra $40 really worth it, if time is not an issue??

I could have miss it but do you have a case trimmer. If you dont your screwed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could have miss it but do you have a case trimmer. If you dont your screwed. </div></div>

second one down

if you can find a gunshow you can get a forester or rcbs for 25 to 35 bucks its worth it

What is your budget? If its more you can certainly get better stuff. What is your goal for shooting? Do you just want to hunt with the loads or do you want to really go for the best accuracy you possible can? Are you planning to upgrade this at some time in the future?

If you want to make it so you are the weak link and not the equiptment then I would agree to a poster above, save up a month or 2 and buy the good stuff 1 time. If you were planing on upgrading as you go the same applies just wait a month or 2 and buy the good stuff first. If you really dont have a budget or its OK to spend more then we can certainly talk about better stuff.

As far as your question about the dies. Yes the dies will make a difference in your accuracy. It is a difference you can measure between lee dies (except collet) and Redding or Forster Competition dies. The runout difference (the measureable amount the bullet and case are out of round when seated) is easy to see. The less runout the better. So if your budget was lets say $1000 then you could get way better stuff to start with.

let us know.........

Sam1385 if your full time US Navy Right Now I will give you a Forster NM .308 full length die, and I may still have a Lee 308 die set you can have, PM me your address

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sam1385 if your full time US Navy Right Now I will give you a Forster NM .308 full length die, and I may still have a Lee 308 die set you can have, PM me your address </div></div>

PM Sent brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USN_Sam1385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, here is the updated list. Price went from $260 to $419... you guys are assholes. :)

132834 IMR 4064 Smokeless Powder 1 lb
Comments: 4/17/2010 Available $22.99 $22.99 Add to Cart

151578 CCI Large Rifle Primers #200 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $30.99 $30.99 Add to Cart

620746 Redding Body Die 308 Winchester
Comments: 8/10/2010 Available $25.99 $25.99 Add to Cart

</div></div>
1. Buy powder locally shipping it = high hazmat fee

2. Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip. You will hate this after just a few cases. Save up and get yourself a proper trimmer with a 3 way cutter.

3. Fid primers locally to save on hazmat.

4. Doesn't the comp die come with a full body die as well?

case lube pad to roll the cartridges on, makes it more convienant

i load the 4064 to 43 grains using 165 sst's and get around 170 rounds per pound.

keep your eye on a stuck case remover, eventually, a brainfart will allow this to happen.

primer pocket cleaner

i also like clean brass, i'd keep a tumbler and media in mind.

an extra decapping rod and shaft, keep it out of the die, to remove media stuck in the flash hole of the primer pocket.

2 pasta strainers (colender?) to pass the brass filled media back and forth. media goes out, brass stays in.

a set of calipers for measuring oal, etc. i like digital ones.

Imperial sizing die wax - don't let anyone talk you out of it. Wipe a little on each cast, just use your fingers. Paper towel or tumbler takes it off.

A little slower than most other methods, but none of the other lubes are a better lube.

Rolling on a lube pad just transfers grit and dirt from one case to another unless cases are all perfectly clean. Junk from one dirty case contaminates the whole pad.

You are certainly on the right track. Lots of good advice from other members, too.

Paul

What you got there is good! Now you'll see the full potential of your rifle. You'll be grinnin' in no time when you're hitting your targets waay down range. Don't forget your chronograph... It'll help you big time with load development.

Chrony is cheap but you'll be spending most of your time getting it to work than it's worth.