• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Am I going to be dissapointed with a bushnell HDMR?

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
I'm in the process of building a match rifle and this came up on a whim and I need some glass but I don't have enough funds allocated for another PMII. I can get a HDMR ERS pretty damn cheap through work and was considering that, but I'm concerned about glass quality, I know there is no way it'll be S&B quality but will it be at NF NXS or F1 quality? I've only looked through the HDMR briefly and wasn't able to do any sort of comparison

thank you

I have two HDMRs and compete with both of them. They are plenty good glass. Are they SB quality? No. Do I care? No. Buy one, you'll like it.

Last edited:
You will like it. I found it very comparable to the NF NXS. As said before, it isn't a Premier, S&B or Kahles, but it is a great optic.

I was very nervous even after being told by some Mil friends and other shooters how good it was. I pulled the trigger on mine. Now, I also have and XRS 4.5-30 that will go on my GAP-10 when it is complete. I can't see you being disappointed. I was happily surprised and even right next to NF, still happy. Of course for over 1k more, S&B should remain king.

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Personally, I think these scopes are a great value.

I own razors with the 2B reticle, but my one of my shooting partners runs an hdmr with the g2 reticle. It is a damn nice optic. You can't go wrong with the Bushy.

I actually picked the Bushnell over a Nightforce. I was really impressed with it and the price was great. With the sell off of the older 5 mil turret version after the new one was released I will be very happy to pick up another one soon.

I was really impressed when they were 1200 I have not seen any of the new ones yet.

You won't be disappointed. The difference in glass between that and my SB has never caused a miss.

thanks guys,

I'll probably get one ordered today

I have a 3.5x21 HDMR already and today spent some time in a local store comparing the new 4.5x30 Bushy ERS vs a steiner 5x25x56 and by a wide margin I picked the Bushy for glass, field of view and eye box size. I really liked that thing a lot.

Bushnell pros

After a ton of research I found Bushnell is far better than nightforce and for the money is hard to beat. Instead of spending the 1000 more on a S&B or like scopes I can invest in more projects. I have the 1-8.5 if I remember for my 5.56, the HDMR 3.5-21 with H-59 (it is incredible). The only thing that I had to give up was the illumination but it is a price to pay.

Hands down the best scope near their price range IMO. I am currently running a S&B 5-25 and have considered selling it to fund two Bushnell DMRs and still have cash left over. I consider the DMR a 3.5 to 18, they are nearly unusable from 18-19 to 21X, at least the two I have ran.

The strength that nightforce had going was always durability. The HDMR and ERS are built like tanks, though. TANKS. I don't think anyone has broken one yet that I'm aware of.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I just got my Bushnell ERS and would like to mount it to my Savage 10 PC. I am 95% sure I want to use A Spuhr mount, and would like to get the Hide's recommendation on which model and height for this round receivered, accustocked, rifle. I also need a Picatinny rail to mount to said receiver and am thinking EGW steel. Thank you for your responses. I will have many more questions for this build now that I have finally joined.

Thank you Brad for the suggestion, but as I mentioned in the previous post, (#16) I am pretty sure I would like the Spuhr mount, and was hoping for specifics to my gun/scope combo. I read the thread you recommended and it generally recommends either the Larue mount or separate rings and was not specific to my rifle/scope combo. Thanks again.

The strength that nightforce had going was always durability. The HDMR and ERS are built like tanks, though. TANKS. I don't think anyone has broken one yet that I'm aware of.

Eh, I hope so but Bushnell traditionally hasn't been known for durability and I would generally put NF over them in that category. That said, the main reason I went for an HDMR was because A). I wanted to try out an H59 reticle B.) I was mounting it on a .223. They are such a good value in a tactical scope, while the optical quality and turrets leave much to be desired, you do get a lot for your $1500. I just wouldn't mount it on anything above a .308WIN because of the lack of durability. For me personally, that's purely perceived - here's hoping it lasts.

I have been running them on 300 wm, 7 wsm, 284 win and 308 since their release and one from before the release. They may come unglued tomorrow but to date I have had zero issues. Two of my scopes have logged more rounds than I could pretend to count!

From what I've seen and read of them, they seem to be an amazing scope at that price point. Only thing that's kept me from picking one up is the aesthetics of the scope itself. I know it's shallow and shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does to me. From a functional standpoint everyone I know that shoots one loves it, and are very happy to point out how good of a scope it is without going into the S&B price range.

Bushnell traditionally hasn't been known for durability and I would generally put NF over them in that category.... I just wouldn't mount it on anything above a .308WIN because of the lack of durability.
Do you know Who makes this scope for Bushnell?

Hoping to get some response to my inquiry by bumping to the top during visiting hours. Please make suggestions or comments to direct my purchase of scope base and mount. Thanks.

People are ignoring your question because you're derailing the OP's question. His thread, he gets the answers. Start another thread with your question and you'll get your answers.

I have two of them and like them a lot.

I have a US Optics SN3 for my Larue OBR and have been thinking of selling it to get another HDMR and possibly a Vortex PST for another build I am currently putting together.

I don't have any s&b scopes but I do have NF, SWFA SS, Vortex PST brands, I currently have three bushnells, two of them the new 4.5 x 30 XRS scopes. For the money they are great scopes. I'd have no problem recommending them. Unless you have 3500 to spend I'd say you won't be disappointed.

Who? Could you please post your #1 reticle choice for LR and 1st or 2nd FP. Thank's......
In a NF I like/have the MLR2.
In a euro scope I like/have the Klein and the new (to us here) MSR.
In the Bushnell DMR/ERS I like/have the G2.
For a two-way range I like/have the Gen II XL.

Thanks, Ultraman. I figured the floor had opened to more general questions regarding this scope since the O.P. had likely made the decision a month ago,("thanks guys,

I'll probably get one ordered today") two weeks prior to my inquiry. But being a noob and all, I didn't fully realize the importance of starting my own thread in order to get helpful responses to my "out of order" questions. (Those that were "derailing" the O.P.'s question (that he/she had likely decided upon two weeks prior to my derailment)).

Last edited:
I do.

Light Optics Works, the same Japanese factory building the Nightforces.

I've tried to find a single report of a DMR failing. Nothing's turned up yet.

Joe

An ERS went down on the first day at PTS this weekend, or at least had some problems. The owner may jump in here and fill us in on the actual problem.

An ERS went down on the first day at PTS this weekend, or at least had some problems. The owner may jump in here and fill us in on the actual problem.

That was [MENTION=80377]Adam[/MENTION]B

Perhaps he'll grace us with his presence...?

In a NF I like/have the MLR2.
In a euro scope I like/have the Klein and the new (to us here) MSR.
In the Bushnell DMR/ERS I like/have the G2.
For a two-way range I like/have the Gen II XL.

Thank's for getting back....I have an HDMR with H-59. I am learning how to use it and think it's a HOOT. I like the layout of the G2 and was wondering what you find more usefull in the G2 vs. the H-59. I think the HDMR is a fantastic value. I am looking to get another one for a 6BR build I have going on and am looking for opinions on the available reticles. The HDMR I have hangs out on top of a custom 6.5 Grendel gasser and the 6BR build is a bolt gun.... Thank's again for the input......

Eh, I hope so but Bushnell traditionally hasn't been known for durability and I would generally put NF over them in that category. That said, the main reason I went for an HDMR was because A). I wanted to try out an H59 reticle B.) I was mounting it on a .223. They are such a good value in a tactical scope, while the optical quality and turrets leave much to be desired, you do get a lot for your $1500. I just wouldn't mount it on anything above a .308WIN because of the lack of durability. For me personally, that's purely perceived - here's hoping it lasts.

I've not put my ERS though the paces, but I was pretty hard on my HDMR. I thought more than once that I was having problems, but really it was an issue with my chassis.

It's repeatable, and the G2 is great. I'd high recommend it, and it should be MORE than fine on calibers above .308. As for the turrets, they click well, and are repeatable. If you want 10 mil turrets, and zero stops, then just step up to the ERS.