• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Am I missing anything by not having a 6.5CM?

Southwind

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
Wellington, KS
Pls help talk me into or out of a 6.5. I currently have a .243 and .308. Both are set up similar with B&C stocks and Weaver Tac 4-20 optics. With the .243, I am pushing the Hornady 105gr BTHP to 2960fps with 4451. With the .308, I can shoot the 155gr TMK to 2815fps or the 175gr SMK to 2650fps all with single digit SD's. Before moving back to KS, I had access to the family farm where I could shoot steel well past 500yrds. I was only able to shoot to 500yds before we moved. I only have access to 100yd ranges so far in KS.
With hopes of finding some place to shoot 800-1k yards, and with the set ups I have already, is there any need to invest in a 6.5 set up? Or would I be better off putting that coin aside to rebarrel the .243 down the road?

thx, Steve

No. Your missing something if your not shooting 6.5x47 ?
A 243 with 105's will hang with any caliber on steel to 1000 and likely best most of the 6.5's in elevation.

Last edited:
Reactions: bjay
Being a big fan of the Creedmoor and one of the earliest shooters to shoot it in matches I would say shoot what you have now and then rebarrel down the road.

That's kinda what I figured, and thanks for the responses. To be honest, I am such a fan of the .243, that when the time comes to rebarrel, I will probably just stick with it unless I rebarrel in 6mm Creed.

Keep both and get another in 6.5.

If any rifle sits for more than a year without being fired then run a function check and put it back into storage or sell to upgrade other gear.

All 3 calibers have their place. I have a 6.5 creedmoor now but really want to get 308 and let her chomp through some varget. I’d also love a 6mm cartridge rifle but just not willing to deal with the barrel life at this point in time

your fine with your current setup. the 308 and 243 will get you where it is needed as long as your not trying to take game at those extended distances.