• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Am I nuts to say no?

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
I have a Schmidty PMII 5-25 with the GenII XR reticle mil with MOA knobs. My buddy has a Schmidt PMII mil/mil standard mil dot and BORS unit. He wants to trade me for my scope plus I add 600. I love that Gen II XR reticle so much for hold overs I'd hate to get rid of it. I'm just wondering if this is some sort of a killer steal/deal I shouldn't say no to....

Re: Am I nuts to say no?

I would do the trade, but I would tell him no to the 600 bucks and absolutely do not want that BORS. The GEN 2XR is no longer produced, but the mil/mil would matter more to me than the GEN2XR

I have no idea if they work as advertised, but this I do know, they do the same thing that any ballistic calculator will do. The unit retails for around 1150.00 bucks. My Ballistic FTE Engine which is roughly the same is 19.99.

The BORS adds weight and isn't a game changer in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on the scope trade OP?

I'd rather have the PM II with mil knobs and a mil reticle than the PH in MOA with a mil reticle.

I have no desire for a BORS

If you like your PH, then roll with it. If you want mil knobs, trade it for another PH with mil knobs or contact them and see if they will be willing to convert it for you. Life is too short to run equipment you don't like.

I would keep your setup because the JBM ballistic calculator can tell you your elevation and windage in MOA but still measure in mils. I love the Gen 2 XR reticle too.

It depends on what you are doing now, and want you want to achieve with the new setup... both of which you failed to mention.

Without knowing either one, I would say keep the Gen II reticle and don't bother hampering an otherwise good scope by mounting a BORS.

For less than the $600 you should be able to convert it to mil.

Its actually 900 bucks per knob for mil coversion. I called Schmit and when I heard that I nearly keeled over.

When did you check? Last I was told it was around $450.

Trade, sell the BORS, make your $600 back plus a little boot, everyone wins...

If'n your OK with the Mil-dot. Personally I would rather have a mildot scope with matching turrets than a more desirable reticle with MOA turrets... That's just me though. Plus, with what you make off the BORS, you can have the reticle swapped if so desired.

I checked with S&B a few months ago. I found a 5-25x56 PM II with MOA knobs and P4F reticle for cheap. They quoted me $435 plus shipping to convert the knobs.

i checked about 2 months ago. Maybe I'll call them again today n see what they say for a reticle swap or get another quote for a mil conversion

I just checked wiyth Mark at the S&B service center in NH and here is the pricing for services:

Turret change from MOA to Mil or Mil to MOA includes both Elevation and Windage: $550

Reticle change to stock reticle: $550

Reticle change with a Horus reticle: $900

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trade, sell the BORS, make your $600 back plus a little boot, everyone wins...
</div></div>

With everyone's fondness for the BORS......well, best of luck.

thanks Rob01 for the check. I didn't get to make the call. Sounds like that's what I'll be doing.

I get the impression that people aren't too fond of the Bors, is that correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks Rob01 for the check. I didn't get to make the call. Sounds like that's what I'll be doing.

I get the impression that people aren't too fond of the Bors, is that correct?</div></div>

It just doesn't do enough for most people to justify the price. Much of what it does can be done manually or with a ballistic calculator which you can even get on any smartphone, but it just takes a little longer.