• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I reading something wrong? Data for 6.5 Creedmoor and H4350

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Went to the Hodgdon site and used their reloading data; 140 grain round, 6.5 CM, H4350.

Says the max load is a compressed 40.0 grains. Only difference here is that I'd use the Berger 140 VLD instead of the AMAX.

So I go and look in the 6.5 Creedmoor reloading thread here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/98041-**6-5-creedmoor-loads**.html and there's people mentioning they are using for a 140g anywhere from 41.5 - almost 44 grains of H4350. I understand everyone's rifle is different and one guy's data may not work for me and to start safely, etc

But how can this be quite a bit off? Hodgon lists 40 as a max where people are going 10% over without pressure; is Hodgdon's data just severely on the safe side or am I missing something here?

I was planning to start at 39.0 and move up at .4 increments but also didn't want to start too low and waste my time/powder.

"Too low" is rarely an issue if you follow any book. That said, remember that Hodgdon won't give any specs on "their" powder...
    Current Hodgdon data shows 760/414 loads in the Creedmoor, Hornady #9 has a start load of just about current Hodgy max.... My particular lot follows Hornhead data, not Hodgy.

Just start and test.

I thought the hornady boxes were labeled with the powder charge and type?!

I know it was more than 40. I was thing 41.r or 42.5 was listed on te factory hornady creedmoor boxes.

They are VERY conservative on there numbers. And yes the loaded ammo is stated at 41.5 and is always somewhere around that up to 42.2ish. I run 42.2 in the hottest times of summer in az and I've never had pressure signs even after 10rd strings. A couple guys at my club run at 43 or a little higher but I don't ever venture above 42.5. I wouldn't shoot a creed if 40 was the max. Also I load the amax and bthp at 2.800 with 42.3gr and it is no where near compressed.

I started at 41.0 and have worked up past 43.3. I found my sweet spot at 42.3, which is about where many others dial-in.

I thought the hornady boxes were labeled with the powder charge and type?!

I know it was more than 40. I was thing 41.r or 42.5 was listed on te factory hornady creedmoor boxes.

I saw that too and that's what made me even more confused. I didn't know if there was something super crazy like the bullet profiles making that much of a difference between the AMAX and whatever else.

Seems its just super conservative; just didn't want to take a risk and it made no sense to me as to why 90% of everyone's loads exceeded the posted max.

German I had the same confusion on this exact topic. Went ahead and did some latter tests ended up with my load ending up being 42.1. The box of ammo says 41.5 and the Hornady book doesn't even go to that with a 140. Proceed with caution and hope this helps.

42.4 grains matches the "old lots " of the 140 amax ammo in terms of speed and pressure. This is the 2012 stuff. But IMHO 42.4 seems to be about where most people end up or very close. Amax or Berger.

Went to the Hodgdon site and used their reloading data; 140 grain round, 6.5 CM, H4350.

Says the max load is a compressed 40.0 grains. Only difference here is that I'd use the Berger 140 VLD instead of the AMAX.

So I go and look in the 6.5 Creedmoor reloading thread here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/98041-**6-5-creedmoor-loads**.html and there's people mentioning they are using for a 140g anywhere from 41.5 - almost 44 grains of H4350. I understand everyone's rifle is different and one guy's data may not work for me and to start safely, etc

But how can this be quite a bit off? Hodgon lists 40 as a max where people are going 10% over without pressure; is Hodgdon's data just severely on the safe side or am I missing something here?

I was planning to start at 39.0 and move up at .4 increments but also didn't want to start too low and waste my time/powder.

Brass makes all the difference in potential size of charge, and like you, people seldom mention what brass (and barrel) they're using. For example: Hornady brass might reach to 43.0 grains without compression depending on seating depth, while Nosler (or reshaped Lupua) may only reach 41.0 grains. Additionally, in a custom barrel that's been lapped you won't need as much charge as a factory barrel that hasn't been lapped.

They are VERY conservative on there numbers. And yes the loaded ammo is stated at 41.5 and is always somewhere around that up to 42.2ish. I run 42.2 in the hottest times of summer in az and I've never had pressure signs even after 10rd strings. A couple guys at my club run at 43 or a little higher but I don't ever venture above 42.5. I wouldn't shoot a creed if 40 was the max. Also I load the amax and bthp at 2.800 with 42.3gr and it is no where near compressed.

^^^This^^^

I saw the same discrepancy between Lyman and their sight for .223 reloads. The Lyman starting load was only a few tenths under what Hodgdon indicated as the max load. I had a few thousand rounds loaded (DOH!!!) so I ran a few down the tube. No signs of overpressure so I've decided not to pull the bullets and start over. YMMV