• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I stupid for doing this?

Prison Mike

Staff Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Wilmington, NC
I recently bought a SPS T .308 a couple of months ago. I havent shot it and its still sitting in my safe. I initially started to build a M40A5 clone, but have since decided to just make a rifle that fits me personally instead. I have already got a MCM A4 stock, timney trigger, bipod, and base. My question is am I stupid for going ahead and ordering a Schneider barrel, having it chambered, crowned, and trued to my action and having my action blueprinted even though the stock barrel hasnt even been shot? In my opinion, If Im going to spend money building a good, dependable precision rifle then I should just go all out, right? If I do decide to do this what is a good contour and legth to go with? And should I just keep the stock recoil lug? Opinions please....

Re: Am I stupid for doing this?

If you've got plenty of cash - go for it.

If you have a budget, buy a couple cases of ammo and practice the fundamentals - Natural point of aim, breathing cycle, don't drag wood, followthrough, run the bolt.

Unless you are hell bent on an M40 Clone inc action,why not sell the rifle and start from scratch with a custom action ? You are going to replace everything on it anyway,esp if you get an oversize bolt from PTG and fit it to your action.Your money and your rifle in the end,do what makes you happy.

On second thought,you might want to put some good glass on that SPS and just shoot it while you have a custom built,if you've never done one before,they can take a loooong time,ask almost anybody on here.Another option is to see if a good builder has one on the shelf from someone that backed out last minute,another reality with today's economy.Some great builders on here.

Yup.
You buy a 700 receiver for $350 at Academy.
Of course it's attached to the rest of a rifle at the purchase.

hi
keep your stock barrel and look how it shoot before you change it.
i have a sps varmint on mcm a5 bedded with badger m5 and when i made my job it shoot about a half MOA at 400 meters.
i will change this barrel for a custom barrel when it will be burn!
but if you have the money change it directly for a custom barrel..

GAP said they had a few of the Shneider #7 30 cal barrels in stock. They quoted me $665 to send in my action and then have them chamber, crown, true it to my action, and blueprint my action. Is that a pretty normal price? I also got a good quote from Mark at SAC as well. I have been reading on a good twist and have read all kinds of mixed reviews. Part of me wants to go with the 1:12 and then part of me is thinking 1:11.25. Im also thinking 24". UGH!! Too many choices.... This is exactly why I love this site so much. If someone is in need of good advice they get it! Thanks for all the replies.

O and the price quoted included the actual barrel or at least that what I gathered from the email sent to me.

Before you spend all your money, why not see how it shoots first? You might be dumping cash for no real gain other than knowing you spent the money.

Yeh its a little crazy if you ask me but could always keep the barrel in the safe and shoot the crap out of the stock barrel.

If the gun has been in your safe for that long, send it to GAP and let them do they're magic. You'll be happy with it.

Well do u guys think having an aftermarket barrel will even make the rifle that much more accurate than the stock barrel? This is a step in my build that I really wanted to do but maybe it's just not the smartest move right now. Maybe I'll just shoot the stock barrel then order the aftermarket one and then have the mcm fitted for the schneider.

Do what you wanna do. If you want a custom barrel go for it. You won't be sorry. Sell your stock barrel to help offset the cost of the custom barrel

I have a SPS 26" varmit at gap getting a bartlein 11.25 twist barrel installed. I recommend this twist if you are looking to shoot 175g bullets out to 1000 yards. the 1 in 12 twist works with 168g bullets well out to 600 yards well but not great to 1000yds. ( at least my experience) Hence the only reason I am getting new barrel.

So you really have to ask your self what are you really looking to do with the gun.
If you aren't really talking about long range then there is plenty you can do to get a SPS to shoot really well without a new barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SPS 26" varmit at gap getting a bartlein 11.25 twist barrel installed. I recommend this twist if you are looking to shoot 175g bullets out to 1000 yards. the 1 in 12 twist works with 168g bullets well out to 600 yards well but not great to 1000yds. ( at least my experience) Hence the only reason I am getting new barrel.

So you really have to ask your self what are you really looking to do with the gun.
If you aren't really talking about long range then there is plenty you can do to get a SPS to shoot really well without a new barrel </div></div>

Is there a big difference in Schneider and bartlein? Price, Quality, etc?

both top notch barrel makers price about same, not sure about lead times I know bartlein lead times of 6 months or more unless you get lucky

Right on,,, another one hooked.
Be careful about spending a bunch of money on a stock action, because there is a good chance you will be selling in the future for a custom one. (thats the way this sport works).
Let me really muddy the waters, if you plan on shooting comps, you might consider making a .260, and keeping the .308 in the mean time while your rifle is being built, then sell it here when you get your new one in your hands???
Ya gotta love this addiction.
SScott

My suggestion is to drop the SPS-T into the McMillan stock and shoot it.

If you find that you are able to outshoot the rifle, then it's not going to cost you anything more to rebarrel than if you sent the rifle off to start with.

However you may find that you are not able to shoot the factory barrel to it's accuracy potential. In this case you would be just wasting money putting a custom tube on it. Save that cash for when you burn out the factory barrel.

However there is a type of personality that just has to have the "best". If that's you, then send it off and have GAP or another smith barrel it up for you.

Regarding barrel profile, that is going to be totally dependent on you. I prefer lighter barrels because I don't always shoot prone or bench. If you only shoot supported, then a telephone pole won't be an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
However there is a type of personality that just has to have the "best". </div></div>

Isn't that most of us on the hide.... <points at PM> Guilty

What are you going to use this rifle for?? Just punching paper for fun or competition or what? I you are just going to be shooting paper for fun.. why not just get a good stock and shoot the factory tube out as others have said? But then again.. if you have the funds.. do her up if that is what you really want. But my guess is if you are already wanting to jump up to a new barrel w/o even shooting it.. you will not be happy with the stock action/stock either in the long run. So sell it to someone here and just go order a custom build or buy a good used one off the forum.. lots out there for decent prices.. and no wait.

Whatever you do.. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Do it right once and be done if you have the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">both top notch barrel makers price about same, not sure about lead times I know bartlein lead times of 6 months or more unless you get lucky </div></div>

Yes, the lead time at Bartlein (for that matter most barrel makers) is long. But places like GAP that make their living at this stuff probably keep a standing order for barrels and may very well have what is needed in stock. You cannot go wrong having GAP work the R700 over and put a top notch barrel on it.

Stupid?
No, but you could have done the same thing cheaper by buying a bare bones, sporter weight barrel ADL.

I concur with what has been said already, install it in your stock, shoot it with quality ammo.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with upgrading it before you shoot it, you should be able to sell the take off barrel, since it is unfired, for about 100 bucks, thus defraying your costs slightly.

As it is right now, it should be a decent shooter, take the money saved and put it towards good glass.

You WILL end up upgrading your rifle. It is a sickness.

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. You haven't even shot it yet and you're looking to do a ground up rebuild.

I think that you need to shoot it first so that you can make an informed accessment of what it is that you need. You won't know that until you are shooting your present rifle to the best of its ability.

If you get to where you can hold your groups where 90% of your groups are MOA and you can't get any tighter with your current setup, then it might be time to upgrade something. On the other hand, you may find that your rifle is capable of 1/2MOA accuracy or better, in which case, you don't NEED to upgrade anything. At that point it would be a matter of preference rather than performance.

All of the best equipment in the world isn't going to make you a better shooter.

Of course, if money is no object to you, go ahead and get the "best of everything." There's certainly nothing wrong with it. Just keep in mind that the law of diminishing returns is ever present. If by chance it turns out that you have a 1/4MOA rifle, then all of the proposed "upgrades" aren't going to get you much, except for bragging rights.

That was my plan, to sell the stock barrel but I didn't want to draw any unwanted attention to myself since I have not yet reached the minimum number of posts to sell. But on to the subject at hand... I guess this is something I'm going to have to sit and think real hard about. I was just going to stick with the stock action. I dare not shoot a custom one because I know I'll end up getting one and having all that work done over again. The way I think, I know I'm going to eventually buy another barrel so why not just go ahead and do it. Yea I could just keep the stock one, shoot the piss out of it, then order a new one. Now might actually be the best time because like mentioned I could sell tge stock barrel, trigger and all that good stuff and make a little money back. Of course I plan on shooting a little paper and doing a little hunting with it, but this rifle is going to end up being my sons first rifle when he gets big enough to shoot it and I'll move on to the next project. I've been hunting and shooting since I was knee high and my dad has always been an avid gun collector and I want to pass the tradition down to my son. Thank everyone for the advice and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. Please feel free to keep adding if anyone wants.

Well, I "upgraded" my SPS Tactical with a Krieger barrel. I really didn't get any noticeable increase in accuracy. What I did get was a barrel that cleaned up much more easily. I'm not getting any copper fouling at all either. With the stock barrel, I could see a decrease in accuracy at around the 40 to 60 round mark. The new barrel also got me a good bit more velocity too, probably due to the tighter chamber.

I think I'm just gonna stick with the stock barrel for now And then upgrade once I see a decrease in accuracy. Just going to bed my stock for now. I already put on a Timney so I'll see where I'm at after I bed my stock.

Sounds like your on the right track. Shoot it and learn your rifle.

I do konw some people that feel if they dont have the best equipement they are not going to shoot to their potential when a lot of them dont have the ability to outshoot the gun. I guess that piece of mind is worth it.

Learn your gun and how it shoots and behaves and you will be better than 99% of the shooters out there.

I was in the same dilemma for a while. Ended up keeping my 5R and i still have it but as soon as i complete my SPR and finish my 14.5 BCM. I'm ordering a bartelin 5R m40/m24 contour to replace it. Not that my factory remington 5R wont shoot it's the fact that my rifle was intended to be custom from the get go and i want a bigger contour.

Manimal,

I am in the same situation as you. New Rem 700 SPS .308, never been fired. I have ordered a JAE 700 stock, and badger rings and base. Still deciding on glass (either NF NXS 5.5-22x56 or Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp. I am going to shoot it and see how well it/I can shoot it. the JAE stock is $1500, glass $1000-$2000, new bbl, action, muzzle brake and trigger work $1000. In the grand scheme of things the $100 I might make by selling the unfired stock .308 SPS bbl won't be a make it or break it deal for me. If the stock bbl shoots good I'll keep it until accuracy degrades.

Regards,

Rick

yes, you are stupid just like the rest of us for letting the long range tactical bug bite you and suck the life out of your bank account...

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion is to drop the SPS-T into the McMillan stock and shoot it.

If you find that you are able to outshoot the rifle, then it's not going to cost you anything more to rebarrel than if you sent the rifle off to start with.

However you may find that you are not able to shoot the factory barrel to it's accuracy potential. In this case you would be just wasting money putting a custom tube on it. Save that cash for when you burn out the factory barrel.

However there is a type of personality that just has to have the "best". If that's you, then send it off and have GAP or another smith barrel it up for you.

Regarding barrel profile, that is going to be totally dependent on you. I prefer lighter barrels because I don't always shoot prone or bench. If you only shoot supported, then a telephone pole won't be an issue.</div></div>

+1 LoneWolf always has good advice. Put it in the MCM stock and shoot that barrel smooth then upgrade.

Good advice. I think that's what I'm going to do. Put on stock, bed it, mount scope base and scope and just shoot it like it is for now. I'll upgrade soon, but just not right now. Thank u all for helping me reach a decision.

Agreed,
A little touching up and sometimes the factory rifle will really run. See what you have first before you make the big jump to custom, especially just starting out. Sometimes they will surprise you. Good luck.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

I like to Final Finish if I'm going to run a stock barrel.

One of the things to consider if you haven't shot your SPS yet is to sell it. and up grade to a Mil spec 5r. The 5r already has a the 11.25 twist barrel and 5r rifling. Its a few hundred dollars more but if you are changing stocks anyway you can sell the HS stock it comes with for $200 to $250 on this site. I have both the SPS and 5r. Even though I bought a new barrel for my 5r, I elected not to put it on yet as is shoots so well. All i did was to put a good trigger and bed a Mcmillan a5 stock and it was GTG

It just sucks because I just bought tge sps from the factory and if I got the 5r I would have to turn around and sell the sps at the depreciated value. The 5r sounds gtg but would it even be worth the trouble and the money to upgrade to a 5r? If I would have thought about it I would have bought the 5r to begin with... If I traded the sps Or sold it what would b the payout on my end?

good choice, alot of sps shoot great from the factory.

Ive been going down this road as well but I would opt for the AAC version of the SPS for the 1:10 twist. shoot it and see what happens and the stock and BM you buy for this rifle will work on a custom 700 action down the road.

good luck with it

Im new to tge whole gunsmithing thing and am very eager to learn! Should I get the stock action trued for better accuracy or is that a waste of money? Like I mentioned I already have a mcm stock, badger m5, bipod and all that. Just shoot factory or have it tried up?

After looking around some, an accuracy job on an action with a factory tube only saves you about 100 bucks from an accuracy job with a new barrel.
Might as well just have a new tube put on.

It is a bit labor intensive to use a factory tube.

I would just shoot it as is, you can order your Schnieder barrel and wait for it. Then you can schedule work with a gunsmith during his slow months to keep your wait time to a minimum.

O ok, gotcha
wink.gif
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It just sucks because I just bought tge sps from the factory and if I got the 5r I would have to turn around and sell the sps at the depreciated value. The 5r sounds gtg but would it even be worth the trouble and the money to upgrade to a 5r? If I would have thought about it I would have bought the 5r to begin with... If I traded the sps Or sold it what would b the payout on my end? </div></div>

If its new and you haven't shot it try and sell it for about $50 to $75 less than you paid. You just hit your 100 post try to sell it here