• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I the only one........

Re: Am I the only one........

Shit I just say somthing that would be perfect for you but dont remember who made it or what it was called...sorry I know that is vague and useless.

Saw them at a local shop, it was a device you install iside the rifle that allowed a very short reset when you retract the charging handle. Still have to change position but I think not as much.

Maybe based off that description sombody knows what its called...has some bungee cord attached.

I will probably be back there this week so I'll post back if nobody beats me to it.

It is a MAJOR P.I.T.A. (A = ARM)!!!

Anchor...I have never seen or heard of the device you are talking about, but I'd be interested depending on the cost/mods/etc.

It does get annoying. at least you only have to take it back a little bit to push the hammer back down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is this "dry fire" you speak of? </div></div>

It's what you do when you are a poor bastard and can't afford to dump 100 rounds a day downrange and can't seem to find the time to drive there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one........who hates dry fire practice with an AR10?

I am about to the point of cutting down an old AR15 buffer spring so my support side arm doesn't end up twice as large as my strong side. </div></div>No, it's true. It sucks. One of the reason I dry fired my OBR maybe 100 times and my AW 10,000 times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually enjoy dry firing the AI.

Going to have to do something about the AR10. I am determined to work more with it this year. It sits in the safe WAY too much. </div></div>I did the right thing with mine. Sold it. Now I can focus ALL my time on my AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually enjoy dry firing the AI.

Going to have to do something about the AR10. I am determined to work more with it this year. It sits in the safe WAY too much. </div></div>I did the right thing with mine. Sold it. Now I can focus ALL my time on my AI. </div></div>

LMFAO !!!......Thought of putting a Side Charging Upper on it ?

dryfire a double action revolver for 20 min a day, in a couple of weeks, a rifle trigger is a piece of cake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I the only one........who hates dry fire practice with an AR10?

I am about to the point of cutting down an old AR15 buffer spring so my support side arm doesn't end up twice as large as my strong side. </div></div>

I heard that one of your forearms was already larger than the other and that you squinted alot...
wink.gif

Reloading is the answer for those who don't like to dry fire practice.
Spending 6-7 months a year deployed also helps forearm strength for those who don't reload or insist on dry-firing their semi auto .308's.

something similar to an AR15 dry fire device would work?
although resetting the trigger is still a pain in the ass as you have to break position and re-cycle the charge handle(although the force required is greatly diminished)..

I also would be interested in finding out about that device for the AR-10. I have noot shot since Sept. due to a shoulder injury and after having surgery I still have 2 more months before I go back to full duty with P.D. and can shoot and about 3-4 before Doc will release me to go back to SWAT. So I have some much needed fun / work to do

I did some searching around on the "dry fire device" for the AR-10 and all I could come up with is the delrin bolt carrier insert from TMA seen here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=872223

These units insert into the rear of the carrier and prevent the hammer from falling very far or otherwise striking the firing pin. Supposedly, you can reset the trigger with less than 1" of pull on the CH.

The problem is that it is built for the AR-15 and I do not know which (if any) AR-10/SR-25/LR-308 type rifles it would work on.

Has anybody tried to use one of these units on a semi-auto 308 type rifle? If so, any reports?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is this "dry fire" you speak of? </div></div>

It's what you do when you are a poor bastard and can't afford to dump 100 rounds a day downrange and can't seem to find the time to drive there. </div></div>

+1 That's classic right there. May be the most honest thing I've read this week.

I am about to the point of cutting down an old AR15 buffer spring so my support side arm doesn't end up twice as large as my strong side. </div></div>

Funny you should say that. Just got my new LBC .308 Monolith. Wanted to put in some dry fire time before going to the range (and its cold, snowing and I'm whining). Absolute pain in the neck to dry fire. Has a Geiselle two stage trigger which is identical to the one in my 223 AR so I'm hoping the muscle memory from the smaller rifle will translate to the larger. I'd sure love a better idea than that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is this "dry fire" you speak of? </div></div>

It's what you do when you are a poor bastard and can't afford to dump 100 rounds a day downrange and can't seem to find the time to drive there.</div></div>

Ahh I see....touche

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually enjoy dry firing the AI.

Going to have to do something about the AR10. I am determined to work more with it this year. It sits in the safe WAY too much. </div></div>Guilty as well...we need to come up with something.

you'd get your feet shot off, lol. could you remove the BCG and charge handle and (ghetto) just (i cant believe im saying this) pull the hammer back with some (just say it) 550 looped around it? sure there is a better way that will cost more and require testing and delelopment, but would that work? mine is in the safe and im lazy or id mock it up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go to the range with a cup of hot cocao in my sweatpants and bunny slippers dryfiring is awesome! </div></div>Hot cocoa sounds kinda messy in the sweat pants...
I'm just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you'd get your feet shot off, lol. could you remove the BCG and charge handle and (ghetto) just (i cant believe im saying this) pull the hammer back with some (just say it) 550 looped around it? sure there is a better way that will cost more and require testing and delelopment, but would that work? mine is in the safe and im lazy or id mock it up </div></div>

I like the way you are thinking. However assuming you get the 550 cord to stay on you need to give the hammer something to impact. Otherwise it repeatedly impacts the bolt stop. This will result in a busted bolt stop, hammer or receiver.

I have an idea for a pretty inexpensive solution, but I need to flesh it out.

yeah i forgot that part, lol. use that AR15 hammer stop dry fire thing. im thinking of some sort of cap or molded or wire tie maybe a twist tie or zip tie that will hold it to the hammer. its gotta be easy or we wont use it. can you skin the 550 and heat seal the sleeving and maybe see if it will slip over the hammer? pull tight and its like a set of chinese finger cuffs. maybe? im seeing a small mesh or wire something for durability, but im just dreaming without the parts in front of me. plus i have a timney, you have a ? others will have a ?? but a wire ligature with a slide for tension. im thinking of all the crap my exwife had around when she was gonna be a jewelry designer...... anyway, lol

How about a piece of round plastic, roughly the same diameter as the BCG, that catches on the charging handle. Make it long enough that it butts up against something in the front of the upper and goes just far enough back to stop the hammer when you trip it.

That way, when you pull the charging handle back, you're just cocking the hammer and not moving the buffer.

I am in dry fire hell with an AR10, and I was wondering whether any of these ideas had gained some traction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go to the range with a cup of hot cocao in my sweatpants and bunny slippers dryfiring is awesome!</div></div>
I want to try the bunny slippers at the range maybe next time I go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelcomp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't go to the range with a cup of hot cocao in my sweatpants and bunny slippers dryfiring is awesome! </div></div>Hot cocoa sounds kinda messy in the sweat pants...
I'm just sayin...</div></div>

Hahah pretty funny.
laugh.gif

I don't think your arm gets that way from your AR-10 its more like this.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/otPL8KwKQmw&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/otPL8KwKQmw&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have no trouble with it. Put an oversized tac latch on it and use grease on the charging handle, wear points on the BCG, and the buffer tube. I barely have to pull mine back an inch and I do it with one finger. Sure...it's not bolt gun easy but its far from difficult. Plus...it will loosen significantly with use.

Well, the Sinclair dry fire thingy slides into the bolt, but the bottom dimension is not "deep" enough to engage the hammer. I think that it could be modified to work. (Another day)

I think you guys are just being a bunch of pussies. You do realize that you only have to pull the charging handle back literally less than 2 inches to cock the hammer right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys are just being a bunch of pussies. You do realize that you only have to pull the charging handle back literally less than 2 inches to cock the hammer right? </div></div>

REALLY? I thought you had to pull it all the way back until the bolt stop engaged, then push the bolt release in every single time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys are just being a bunch of pussies. You do realize that you only have to pull the charging handle back literally less than 2 inches to cock the hammer right? </div></div>

REALLY? I thought you had to pull it all the way back until the bolt stop engaged, then push the bolt release in every single time! </div></div>

well hey now you know!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you guys are just being a bunch of pussies. You do realize that you only have to pull the charging handle back literally less than 2 inches to cock the hammer right? </div></div>

REALLY? I thought you had to pull it all the way back until the bolt stop engaged, then push the bolt release in every single time! </div></div>

well hey now you know! </div></div>

Well thats good, because with every shot I have been starting in my hallway at a full run screaming "GET SOME!" jumping into a shoulder roll, stopping in kneeling positioning then yelling "Tango Down" after I pull the trigger before I go back to my start position. . . .its tiring.