• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Am I the only person who doesn't like Hornady One Shot?

So after seeing video after video of people raving about Hornady One Shot, I decided to give it a try.
Followed the directions, sprayed from all 4 sides with the cases in an old loading block that I don't use anymore. I shook it well and let it dry for about 5 minutes.
The cases had a lot of resistance, and I even had a stuck case. This has happened more than once, and I'm done with it for now.
I'll stick with my cheapo Franklin Arsenal stuff.
I do feel like I'm the only one in the hobby that doesn't like the Hornady stuff though. I guess I'm not smart enough to use it!

I hate it. I personally feel like it expires or can go bad. I had a 2-3 year old can. Stuck cases all day long. I bought a new can and it worked. I used it up. I bought a new can again from a gun shop that may not see high volume sales. Stuck cases again. I switched to an RCBS lube pad and have been happy.

Imperial sizing wax and dry neck lube. All case sizing issues go away

Reactions: Snuby642
I use One-Shot on my 9mm pistol brass. I did not like the extra effort on my 308 cases with it as compared to RCBS lube on a pad.

I use 1 shot on every thing from .556 to .338LM. For my 375ct i use Imperial sizing die wax and never had an issue with either of them.

I have tried a lot of different things over the years. For a long time I used 1 part lanolin to 8-10 parts 91%+ alcohol. Heated so they would mix well. It worked great, lasted forever and was cheap.

In a pinch I tried Vaseline and it worked extremely well too. Never stuck a case using it.

Imperial sizing wax works well too. I smear it in a magic eraser them roll the case across it.

I tried a concoction of floor wax and alcohol it was like I used glue on the cases. I quit using it after sticking several cases in a row.

Love one shot. I throw brass in a gallon zip lock, spray, roll, spray again, dump into a cardboard box before sizing. No issues.

If you're getting stuck cases you either didn't shake/mix it up or you're not spraying enough. Never had a dented shoulder from one shot.

Hello:

The reason that I went to lanolin was previously was using the Hornady one shot and almost had a case stuck? Love using it because all I did was to stand them up on cardboard hit them with spray on all four side and good to go full size and mandrel.

Spoke with Forster and they put the scare in me of One shot ( majority of their stuck case repairs were due to one shot)! Another die maker also said that they will not stand behind their die if I use the one shot? Enough said. Lanolin and alcohol mix is it. I don't want to complicate more by washing in hot water and drying...

I started out using one shot to make life easier and save some less effort for me rather than using Imperial sizing wax. With the lanolin, I stand them up in a small plastic bin, hit them with 2-3 spray cover them and shake them around and let them dry good. In fact I had to adjust my dies as it seems easier.

I toss cases into pizza box.
Spray
Shake box rolling cases
Spray again
Shake box rolling cases
And repeat 1 more time.

Or a bag will work also. I just like reasons to buy more pizza.

Reactions: lash
So after seeing video after video of people raving about Hornady One Shot, I decided to give it a try.
Followed the directions, sprayed from all 4 sides with the cases in an old loading block that I don't use anymore. I shook it well and let it dry for about 5 minutes.
The cases had a lot of resistance, and I even had a stuck case. This has happened more than once, and I'm done with it for now.
I do feel like I'm the only one in the hobby that doesn't like the Hornady stuff though. I guess I'm not smart enough to use it!
I don't like it either, I had stuck cases with it esp. 308.

Hi my name is Marty and I'm highly opinionated in my personal opinion that stuff is junk. Stick with Dillon's Case Lube and the RCBS pad. Ya can't go wrong.

I make my own now with lanolin and alcohol. However when I did use it, I got many stuck cases. Stopped using it and found the recipe for the homemade stuff.

Bringing this back from the dead.

I used to use One shot and had bad results. Then I switched to Lanolin for last couple years. Recently switched back to 1 shot and refined my method, and I seem to be getting more consistent shoulder bump and sizing than with lanolin.

Throw about 100 cases into a gallon zip lock bag. Shoot a few squirts and seal her up. Shake up and move around. Then squirt a few more shots in there and shake again. Then open bag do the chems can flash off. In about 10 mins you are ready to reload. Seems to have cut down on the gunk and mess from using Lanolin.

I think the issue was a few years back there were actually two versions on the market. The older, original version, and a newer, "green" version. The green version sucked donkey balls, but the old stuff worked fine.

I haven't paid much attention the last few years (I mostly use Imperial sizing wax for single stage reloading), but I'd guess they either improved the "green" version, or just went back to just having the older, original version.

For stuff going through the Auto-drive Dillon, 95% pure alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and PEG-75 grade (cosmetic grade) lanolin has worked really well, without all the sticky residue of lower grade lanolin.

Reactions: lash
The can I was using was an older can (maybe 5 years or so). I just ordered 2 more 10oz cans from midway so ill try them out and see if the results are different.

The stuff I am using now just says One Shot with Dyna Glide and Case lube. Nothing about Gun lube like some of the other stuff I have seen. Its identical to the pictures of the cans I just ordered.

Reactions: Baron23
The can I was using was an older can (maybe 5 years or so). I just ordered 2 more 10oz cans from midway so ill try them out and see if the results are different.

The stuff I am using now just says One Shot with Dyna Glide and Case lube. Nothing about Gun lube like some of the other stuff I have seen. Its identical to the pictures of the cans I just ordered.

Yeah, that looks like the older, original version.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount

That looks like what I use and I've not had any issues with it...and no stuck cases. Maybe I've been lucky but it beats wiping each case with Imperial on my fingers.

the dry spray lube (not the case lube) is great for rimfires and small lubrication jobs. I dont like the case lube. I am not fond of the lanolin either but i think its better. I actually use a lube pad and smear imperial wax on it then roll the cases to apply. Works good for me to provide a sparing even coat. Takes a bit to get the wax jut right for the correct coating feel.

Reactions: Baron23
I was having trouble overbumping with the lanolin mix. I started only using it when I had a couple hours to let the alcohol evaporate and the problem seemed to resolve.

I use one shot otherwise. My can says with dyna glide plus also. It has the the same SKU on the can as what PSA has called the new safe version. I am not sure when I bought it. Last 3 or 4 years anyway. I don't know if they changed sku when they changed formula.

I ran out of my lanoline/alcohol mixture and needed something in a bad way. I tried vaseline loaded into a sponge that I rolled the cases across and it worked great. I have been using that for years now.

I ran out of my lanoline/alcohol mixture and needed something in a bad way. I tried vaseline loaded into a sponge that I rolled the cases across and it worked great. I have been using that for years now.
Hair pomade works as well (believe it or not), in a pinch. Soooo...if you're a 6.5 CM shooter.... :D

And yes, I shoot a 6.5CM (guilty).

I have a few tubes of Lee lube under the bench. I am still on my first one opened in about 2010. I use it for die set up and here and there. I had success applying it mixed in water. By success I mean I didn't stick any cases. 🤣 but if the can of 1 shot were empty and all the other spray lube was gone. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: MarinePMI
Stand cases upright in rows on a cookie sheet. Spray One-Shot at 45 degree downward angle to catch the inside of the necks and allow runoff down the case sides. Rotate the sheet 180 degrees and repeat on the other side of the cases.
Lay bullets out with bases along inner edge of cookie tray and spray the seating surfaces. Wait about 30 seconds, tilt the tray gently to allow the row of bullets to rotate half the circumference and spray. I use a short piece of lath to control the roll. Allow bullets to dry about a minute and set aside to seat when ready.
After seating bullets wipe the cases and bullets with a shop towel dampened with solvent such as non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
YRMV

I put my cases in loading blocks and spray the One-Shot at about a 45 degree downward onto the cases and spray from all 4 sides. I think my current can is about 3 years old or so and have only had one issue. With 6BR the cases were so short that they were too far down into the loading blocks to get good coverage on the sides when I sprayed them so I ended up sticking a case. So I bought the Area419 loading blocks made out of billet aluminum that are extra thin so I got more of the sides of the 6BR cases and that solved that.

I get the One-Shot off by tumbling in rice for a few minutes.

A can of one-shot will lube a lot of cases if you aren't spraying too much or spraying it all over. I can put a few hundred 223 cases in my Tupperware and give them a quick spray on opposite 45 degree angles. Swosh them around some and they are ready about a minute after that.

20240613_054623.jpg

how long does a can last? Be nice if they made it non aerosol so you could put it in a spray bottle.
Supposedly Hornady case lube that comes in liquid form in a 2 oz bottle is the same stuff that is in One-Shot aerosol cans. All you have to do is mix the 2 oz bottle with 12 ounces of 99% alcohol and get to spraying like you would with the homemade lanolin lube. I haven't tested this but it is on my list of things to do once my current can of One-Shot runs out.

Reactions: Jrb572
I go thru roughly a half dozen cans of One Shot each year and I have found the smaller size cans will do a couple thousand cases depending on case size.
Also it will not hurt primers or even powder from my limited testing of spraying it in primed cases and even spraying powder before dumping in the case and shooting them a few months later…. With someone else’s rifle of course😎

• Haha
Reactions: lash and Jrb572
I put my cases in loading blocks and spray the One-Shot at about a 45 degree downward onto the cases and spray from all 4 sides. I think my current can is about 3 years old or so and have only had one issue. With 6BR the cases were so short that they were too far down into the loading blocks to get good coverage on the sides when I sprayed them so I ended up sticking a case. So I bought the Area419 loading blocks made out of billet aluminum that are extra thin so I got more of the sides of the 6BR cases and that solved that.

I get the One-Shot off by tumbling in rice for a few minutes.
I do exactly the same but use walnut media for cleaning. I have not had a stuck case using this method.

Reactions: lash and Franko