• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Amateur class PRS

ClamHammer747

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
I just saw the scores for a PrS match in California. How the hell does an amateur win it?

The same way that more totally shooters (over 50% of the match) in FL managed a 80% finish than showed up to the CA match. its all jacked up...

just shoot to beat the guys at a match any given day. parity/equity across regions, matches, or seasons is long gone.

🤦
Amateurs winning doesn't bother me a bit. Match scoring being jacked up does.

So whats the difference between a pro and amateur again?

Some of you people don't understand what amateur really means.

parity/equity across regions, matches, or seasons is long gone.
What the hell does that even mean?

PRS has never had a real shooter skill classification system and an effective equipment division system. At least not by the standards of already established and successful shooting sports.

Reactions: 1moaoff
It is the way PRS does an annual classification based on the previous years overall “standing”. @velayo_0317 is classified as an AM on PRS site.

007AF7BD-287C-406E-9A8E-BEC3C7DA30BD.png

It is the way PRS does an annual classification based on the previous years overall “standing”. @velayo_0317 is classified as an AM on PRS site.

Yup. Phil shot a single pro-series match in 2020 (placed top 20 with 90-ish points out of 100), and since the standings are based on a composite of a shooter's 3 best scores (excluding the finale), for a total of 300 possible, he ended up ranked Am.

The PRS classification system isn't a measure of skill, experience, or what a shooter does for a living, only of a their success shooting PRS Pro-series matches the previous year.

It's better than nothing, but not by much. It's definitely not a legitimate classifier system like the ones used by the NRA/CMP or by pistol sports orgs like USPSA & IDPA.

IMO the use of the terms Pro, Semi-Pro, etc. are poor choices and should be replaced with something less easily misunderstood.

Last edited:
I contribute a lot of my success from listening to the Modern Day Sniper podcast, taking their online training and in person training!

I highly recommend them if you want to start outshooting the pros!
Yeah but the “keep your face in the gun”. Who came up with that? Not my favorite part of the podcast. 😁

• Love
Reactions: velayo_0317
I contribute a lot of my success from listening to the Modern Day Sniper podcast, taking their online training and in person training!

And here I thought it was all due to the haircut 😂

• Haha
Reactions: velayo_0317

Yeah, great stuff except for that Veleyo fella! Haha
Joking of course. LOL

I’ve been confused by classifications. In high power it’s pretty straight forward.

Just like the “am” who won the grind last year and he had to a of experience in NRL

Hi,

The classifications in regards to Pro vs Am in the precision rifle world is pretty simple....

Nobody does it professionally as in shooting precision rifle competitions as their "day job".

Ever hear of Jerry M working residential refrigeration when not shooting competitions?
Ever hear of a professional bowler working commercial real estate when not at bowling tournament?
Ever hear of a professional table tennis guy working yacht brokerage when not at table tennis tournament?

Everybody wants to be "pros" in a shooting discipline that is so divided that matches within a series itself are not even remotely consistent across the board.

Cannot have "pros" when there is nothing to be a "pro" at....That takes structure, consistency, across the board rules/regulations,, etc etc....NOT from the shooter but from the sport itself.

Sincerely,
Theis

That's it. I'm listening to them all