• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amateur Radio Ops here..

308LR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Rockwall, Texas
Are you amateur radio op as I am ??

I'm the Dallas area.

I balance the love of weapons and technology..

73-
W1JCW
John

Re: Amateur Radio Ops here..

W9***

Very into green radio and portable ops. Current "go-to" is a PRC-319 (<350 built) with EMU. A NATO special forces long range patrol set used by the UK, Australia and US. Mine is a UK SAS Veteran...

PRC319.jpg

KC9***

ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KC9***

ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag. </div></div>

Excellent point...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">W9***

Current "go-to" for portable ops here is my rare PRC-319 (<350 built) with EMU. A NATO special forces long range patrol set used at least to 2000 in the UK, Australia and US. Mine is a UK SAS Veteran...

PRC319.jpg
</div></div>

THAT is fucking sexy. I have a PRC-320, but that thing makes it look like an old POS.

ETA: how about some more pics?? Particularly a closeup of the EMU. Do you know what format it sends the EMU data in?

It "is" sexy... and it works great. Heavy but built... and the EMU adds a whole new digital burst coded messaging option. That pic is actually a friend's 319 set, what I had for a pic on hand... mine is identical but maybe a few more scratches....err.... character.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
ETA: how about some more pics?? Particularly a closeup of the EMU. Do you know what format it sends the EMU data in? </div></div>

FEC-A/ARQ-3 The 319’s modem uses a 850 Hz shift, with the tones 2425=Space and 1575=Mark. I sent more info via PM so as not to hijack the post...

I've got my technician license, studying for my General so I can use HF.

I've been talking with some guys from my first MOS - Electronic Warfare and they said it was super easy to get the HAM quals now, no morse required etc.

I'm thinking about it.

I've got an old A/N R390A lying around somewhere...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an old A/N R390A lying around somewhere...LOL </div></div>

You know those were built for the Gov't up until the last contract for the Navy (Fowler) in 1986. They were retired but a number were called back after refurb in the early 1990's when the front ends of some of the sophisticated solid state gear couldn't stand the static from blowing sand, the dry weather and dust. The R390A needs no fan, nothing to clog... and in good trim it has a hotter, quieter and generally better receiver then my P-3 Orion's Watkins-Johnson WJ8718A/MFP HF surveylance receiver.

You are right... no CW needed anymore, just some electronics background and that isn't hard up to General Class. You run into many,many ex and active military on the HF bands. Computers haven't replaced everything...

I'm have a General ticket, but haven't bought a HF rig yet. I'd like to get one soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag?

</div></div>

Yes but it is no different then using it on air. When we broadcast your callsigns on the air it is going across open communication channels. I don't like that my name and address is publicly available in the FCC database but it comes with the territory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag?

</div></div>

Yes but it is no different then using it on air. When we broadcast your callsigns on the air it is going across open communication channels. I don't like that my name and address is publicly available in the FCC database but it comes with the territory. </div></div>

Au contraire. It is different than using it on the air, because I don't talk about guns on the air.

And my license is a PO Box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag?

</div></div>

Yes but it is no different then using it on air. When we broadcast your callsigns on the air it is going across open communication channels. I don't like that my name and address is publicly available in the FCC database but it comes with the territory. </div></div>

Au contraire. It is different than using it on the air, because I don't talk about guns on the air.

And my license is a PO Box. </div></div>

Well see around here we do. Around here we carry on civil conversation about guns, state of politics and the country, etc..... It is all going across the air. As for the license being a PO that is all well and good. But it is no different because the people that see the information on the net are getting the SAME information as they would if they got my call for the air. Our calls are our calls and once someone gets them they can look us up and get the same information, no matter how they got them.

I am studying for my stuff and will test when I get CONUS. Need it for SAR operations. Now just need to figure what setup to get for a vehicle/mobile setup...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hypertex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Advanced until they decide to grandfather us all as extras. </div></div>

Go get that extra class !!

At least you don't have to pass 20wpm as I did many years ago.

By the way I don't have any issues with my call being made public. I also don't mind others who know my opinion about my 2nd amendment rights.

Have Tech license, and currently working on a FM based tracking system for disaster vehicles. I also develop ways to use FM for transmitting wide area damage assessment data to a GIS database.

We have done some really cool stuff with FM! The latest project is developing floating bouys to measure stream flow and depth in real time during floods to create flood models for the state.

I have a couple radios in my truck to include DSTAR. Even my Polaris ranger has a dual band APRS enabled radio. I guess that makes me an uber geek, but it pays well. I am not the typical ham radio guy. The last group of ham radio guys I briefed on what we were developing wanted to throw me in jail. I didnt know the FCC gave out so many amature law degrees with the radio license...

WB2...

Looking to get back into ham radio again. Have the Tec class now. This weekend I was looking at the Elecraft K2 and the VHF converter for 6 meters. Between the hobbies of guns, ham radio, and motorcycles (Harley & Ducati) I'll never be rich.

Maxwell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an old A/N R390A lying around somewhere...LOL </div></div>

You know those were built for the Gov't up until the last contract for the Navy (Fowler) in 1986. They were retired but a number were called back after refurb in the early 1990's when the front ends of some of the sophisticated solid state gear couldn't stand the static from blowing sand, the dry weather and dust. The R390A needs no fan, nothing to clog... and in good trim it has a hotter, quieter and generally better receiver then my P-3 Orion's Watkins-Johnson WJ8718A/MFP HF surveylance receiver.

You are right... no CW needed anymore, just some electronics background and that isn't hard up to General Class. You run into many,many ex and active military on the HF bands. Computers haven't replaced everything... </div></div>

My first life in the military right out of boot camp was spent at Ft Devens learning to be a 33S - EW/Intercept Systems REpairman.

It was not until I tried to reinlist that they broke my MOS up, and 33R (Aviation) had no openings so I ended up a 31V in the ArcticLight infantry..

I was the R390 man - I had 42 of them and basically brought about 30 of them online using 12 spares. THey are the most awesome AM receiver a person could want.

I had one when we disbanded the unit but like a dumb ass I sold it, for $75 (In 1986)...

I'm looking for another though.

I may have to do the CW - after I do this CISSP certification..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ETA: you guys realize that when you post your call sign on a gun board, you have just given your real name and address to any scumbag?

</div></div>

And my license is a PO Box. </div></div>

Well see around here we do. Around here we carry on civil conversation about guns, state of politics and the country, etc..... It is all going across the air. As for the license being a PO that is all well and good. But it is no different because the people that see the information on the net are getting the SAME information as they would if they got my call for the air. Our calls are our calls and once someone gets them they can look us up and get the same information, no matter how they got them. </div></div>

<nevermind> Carry on, good luck with that.