• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amax or Berger?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug Don't Care
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Louisiana
Trying to pick a bullet. Thinking of the 80gr Amax, 80.5gr Berger, or 82gr Berger.

Which of those do you prefer and why? Also, if you have a different preference, I'd like to hear that too.

Going into a Krieger 223 Wylde 24" with 1:7.7 twist.

In my experience the amax is a little cheaper, the Bergers are a little more accurate.

Each gun is unique and it's hard to say that a given bullet will shoot good for your particular gun.

The amax is reasonably priced, so grab a box of them and try an OCW test.

The Berger's can be had in 12-bullet sample packs from Brownells...I suggest you go that route to save some cash.
BERGER BULLET SAMPLES | Brownells

Once you determine what shoots the best, buy it in bulk. You will then be blessed with good shooting ammo. ;)

80gr Amax is roughly 60% the price of 80.5 Fullbore, has a great BC, are accurate, and have good terminal effects on game up to deer in my experience.

That said, if I was competing, I'd probably run the Fullbores.

22" 1:7 223AI

I should probably add my backgroun in longrange shooting...

None. Lol. I'm just getting started so maybe it isn't worth the extra cost for the Bergers.

Good advice above but don't think because the AMAX is less expensive it will be less accurate and not perform. Ben shooting them in competition since 2006 and never been let down or lost a match due to a Hornady bullet. Have beat many using other bullets. ;)

Good advice above but don't think because the AMAX is less expensive it will be less accurate and not perform.

Definitely this.

My experience with Bergers is limited to 6.5mm 130gr VLDs, but they were more consistent than the 6.5mm 140gr A-Max/BTHP and .224 80gr A-Max I shoot on a regular basis.

That said, there's only a small handful of people that could probably shoot the difference. I'm not one of them, so I switched to Hornadys because they are still very accurate and $10/box+ less expensive. That translates to more rounds downrange...and practice builds skills & accuracy more than a bullet type.

Thanks, guys. I'll give the A-Max's a try. I'm sure it will be a while, if ever, that my skills are being hindered by my bullet selection. That said, I could probably shoot cast bullets to start, lol.