• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Amazing what custom loads do....

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Spent some time this weekend coming up with a load for my HCS m12 mod1 upper. Wasn't too hopeful when I was getting 3" groups with most factory match loads (black hills not tried) until I shot a few groups about the same as this.

Average group was 0.440" (pictured) at 100yrds with the below load.

LC brass
    25.5g 2000MR
    CCI primers
    77smk
    2.25" COAL

One of my favorite rifles to shoot now. Just need a chrono to see what she comes in at.

Sorry if this isn't surprising....I was impressed though.

Really good, I've been wanting to start reloading but I'm a little scared since I have no knowledge. Been researching before I buy equipment

I use the exact same load in my bolt gun (1/7 twist, 20" brux) with 75gr AMAXs (except seating depth). For the 80s, I bring it down to 25.3gr. Of the three nodes, I found this one (which was the lowest) my most accurate. Load works good with Federal brass too. What I love about the PP-2000MR is that it meters so nicely that I don't sweat loading up in a progressive.

Really good, I've been wanting to start reloading but I'm a little scared since I have no knowledge. Been researching before I buy equipment

Try to find a reloader who can mentor you through your range or gun club. It is much easier to learn if you see it in real life and can ask questions.

I also taught myself and only started this past January. Lots of very good reading in the reloading section.

In 1970 after I was discharged from the Navy a friend taught me and talked me into getting A RCBS turret press like his and used it until 1993 when I bought a Dillon XL-650 with all the goodies which I still use. I reload my .223s with CCI BR4 primers with 69 gr Sierra MKs and Varget. I will probably be using the Varget for many years to come because back about 2 years ago I could only find 8 pound jugs of it. So I have plenty.

I tried to do a ladder test and loaded 20 shots starting at 24 grains and increased each by 1/10 th. grain up to 26.grains. The first 5 shots ( after fouling the barrel with 6 shots with another weight bullet ) went into less than 1/2" group then I shot 3 more times with the first 2 almost touching. Then I shifter my weight in my plastic chair and broke one of the legs. The rest of the test went in the pooper because I couldn't hold steady any more.

This was with my new 18" WOA varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist that is full length fluted to save some weight. It is on top of a Colt LE 6920 M4 lower which I installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

I think I got a shooter. If you want tight groups reloading is the way to go.

PS: The scope is a Bushnell AR/223 with 4.5-18x40mm zoom with Nikon P-SERIES split rings that are a little low for my liking. I may change them for Vortex 1" that measure 1.5" from top of rail to center of the scope tube. This will give me a perfect cheek weld.

Attachments

• dillon xl-650 .JPG
      dillon xl-650 .JPG
      308.4 KB · Views: 13
    • new upper .JPG
      new upper .JPG
      394.5 KB · Views: 13
    • 5 shots less than .5 inch .png
      5 shots less than .5 inch .png
      48.3 KB · Views: 19
    • WOA BARREL END .JPG
      WOA BARREL END .JPG
      557.2 KB · Views: 17
    Last edited:
    I did a round Robin ladder at 200yrds in .5 grain increments. Took the upper node rounds and branched a few loads out by .1 grain at a time and did 3 round Robin groups at 100yrds with the above as the result.

Gained a bit more confidence in my findings the round Robin methods.