• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ambi-Cheek Rest for Tac A1? Does one exist?

Tim_WNC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2014
Western NC
My google-fu is weak.

I'd like to find a replacement for the factory cheek rest on my Tikka Tac A1 that is more ambi friendly. Does such a thing exist? If it matters, mine is a left handed action.

Sorry, you want to switch your cheek rest over to the other side? It is reversible with some tools. Or you want one cheek rest that could easily suit both lefty and righty shooters? The only way I know of is to replace the stock, apparently it will take any standard AR stock.

one cheek rest that could easily suit both lefty and righty shooters?

This.

My kid is right handed, I'm left. It would be sweet to have an ambi option.

I tried replacing the stock with a PRS and it just didn't work out.

Got it. So what wasn't working? Removing the stock is explained in the manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200204-123557.png
    Screenshot_20200204-123557.png
    674 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20200204-123808.png
    Screenshot_20200204-123808.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 101
Got it. So what wasn't working? Removing the stock is explained in the manual.
switching back and forth WITHOUT removing and reinstalling

though id imagine riser height would differ between OP and his kid, but maybe not

I'm asking what specifically about the PRS didn't work. It's ambidextrous, and yeah riser height is easily changed wihh thumbwheel. So I assume it's an issue with adjustment range. I've seen people claim that both PRS LOP is too long and riser height is too low to work for the Tac A1.

I'm asking what specifically about the PRS didn't work. It's ambidextrous, and yeah riser height is easily changed wihh thumbwheel. So I assume it's an issue with adjustment range. I've seen people claim that both PRS LOP is too long and riser height is too low to work for the Tac A1.

Have you tried it yourself? Or just going on the 'it ought to work" premise?

I tried it, it didn't work out. There is no provision for an 'end plate' on the Tikka. So, putting an AR receiver extension on requires drilling/tapping a hole for a set screw to limit rotation of the stock.

The riser height on the PRS really doesn’t work for any bolt gun except the Ruger Precision Rifle where the bolt travels through the axis of the stock mount. It’s too low otherwise.

Haven't tried it, and my googling hasn't turned up anyone who has, people generally like the stock. Would one of XLR or MBA stocks attach?

Last edited:
Haven't tried it, and my googling hasn't turned up anyone who has, people generally like the stock. Would one of XLR or MBA stocks attach?
I believe you can attach any AR stock to the Tikka. I just wouldn’t recommend the PRS.