• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

Does anyone know if any of the Mausingfield actions can be fed from double-stack AW/AX mags in APA bottom metal?
Mausingfield actions cannot be fed from AW mags. I have never felt comfortable with the AW mags for two reasons. The necessary cut leaves only a sliver of steel between the ejection port and the mag well. And two, feeding can be more problematic than it would otherwise be when using a center-feed mag. That might not be a huge issue for the single user but it can be for the guy making many rifles or actions. As reliability decrease, customer service requirements increase. AW mags were designed for AW rifles which did not have cylindrical receivers.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: rydah and clyancey
Mausingfield actions cannot be fed from AW mags. I have never felt comfortable with the AW mags for two reasons. The necessary cut leaves only a sliver of steel between the ejection port and the mag well. And two, feeding can be more problematic than it would otherwise be when using a center-feed mag. That might not be a huge issue for the single user but it can be for the guy making many rifles or actions. As reliability decrease, customer service requirements increase. AW mags were designed for AW rifles which did not have cylindrical receivers.

Ted
Hey thanks for the detailed reply, Ted. One last question; How long is the forearm section of this new chassis of yours?

Regards
Larry

Hey thanks for the detailed reply, Ted. One last question; How long is the forearm section of this new chassis of yours?

Regards
Larry
My guess: ~12.66 inches

(6 m-lok slots @ 1.26" each, 5 spaces between each slot @ 0.315" each, roughly two slots-worth of space between the slot closest to the trigger and the magwell, and then about an inch between the slot furthers from the trigger and the front of the Xylo)

Reactions: AEROMechanic
My guess: ~12.66 inches

(6 m-lok slots @ 1.26" each, 5 spaces between each slot @ 0.315" each, roughly two slots-worth of space between the slot closest to the trigger and the magwell, and then about an inch between the slot furthers from the trigger and the front of the Xylo)

Good guess. 12.5 inches as measured from the bolt face.

Ted

You ever figure out what the issue was?

My guess is the 35 cocking piece is causing cock on open on an already cocked bolt. In other words, the striker is dropping onto the trigger sear as the bolt closes. I think end users placed so much importance on "bump free" closure that ARC is using and extra short cocking piece to create easy closing. You will never notice cocking the fired action so it makes sense. Based on my own experience, hand fitting a 55 cocking piece is the best solution. As far as ARC is concerned, they have no control over the triggers used so they're making an educated guess to which cocking piece will work best for the widest sample and shipping out the action. In comparison, my TL3 had .035" of cock on close with a TT Diamond and I had to cut the cocking piece back to get zero cock on close.

My guess is the 35 cocking piece is causing cock on open on an already cocked bolt. In other words, the striker is dropping onto the trigger sear as the bolt closes. I think end users placed so much importance on "bump free" closure that ARC is using and extra short cocking piece to create easy closing. You will never notice cocking the fired action so it makes sense. Based on my own experience, hand fitting a 55 cocking piece is the best solution. As far as ARC is concerned, they have no control over the triggers used so they're making an educated guess to which cocking piece will work best for the widest sample and shipping out the action. In comparison, my TL3 had .035" of cock on close with a TT Diamond and I had to cut the cocking piece back to get zero cock on close.
Excellent reply and true in every regard so far as I can tell. Nice job and thank you.

Ted

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Just picked up my Archimedes Magnum Long Action. I'll be putting it into a Manner's stock with CIP mini chassis. Neither the action or the stock came with action screws, what do you folks recommend for action screws?

Just picked up my Archimedes Magnum Long Action. I'll be putting it into a Manner's stock with CIP mini chassis. Neither the action or the stock came with action screws, what do you folks recommend for action screws?
The stock should have included the screws, but since yours are missing you’ll have to find some 1/4-28 shcs and fit them up. It’s not hard to do on your own.

Also, the stock screws should be a standard length. They should not need to be cut but if you do make sure to put a nut on it before cutting the bolt so you can make sure the threads are in spec. Cut the bolt, grind the end smooth then turn the nut off. That should put the threads back in spec and remove any burrs that might damage the action.

Also, the stock screws should be a standard length. They should not need to be cut but if you do make sure to put a nut on it before cutting the bolt so you can make sure the threads are in spec. Cut the bolt, grind the end smooth then turn the nut off. That should put the threads back in spec and remove any burrs that might damage the action.
not uncommon to have to trim action screws. everyhting has different tang thicknesses or larger bolts for example both cause it.

I'm new to all this. So are you saying that there isn't enough clearance between the trigger and the bolt? And as such there's contact made when closing the bolt?

Edit- I sent my trigger in with my action so shouldn't that have prevented this issue?

No, you have negative cock on close. Call ARC and I'm sure they can explain it to you. Your action is never going to be timed perfectly unless the cocking piece is hand fit to your individual trigger, ARC is just getting you close. You may like the 55 cocking piece better though.

Reactions: RogueTanker
The new bushing and Arm/Lever came in the mail. It feels like the lever engages the receiver sooner just in the hand. ARC was quick to get the parts out and they were easy to swap.

Nice. I got mine yesterday as well. I'll get it installed this weekend. Glad to hear it seems to have made an improvement. I've got some brass fired in another barrel thats a little too big for my current chamber so I can cram it in there and have to rip it out to test.
-Dan

@karagias PLEASE make a set of aluminum direct mount rings for the Mausingfield. The new rail setup places the scope REDICULOUSLY high. X-low M10 ring mounts and I could drive a truck underneath the scope bell. Could probably run a 56mm objective. A svelte little hunting rifle as this build was intended looks like Rube Goldberg put the scope on.

While I think the rings would look better with a wood stock and slim hunting scope it doesn’t look out of place with an NX8 and carbon fiber stock using medium rings.

1B53F4E3-94DD-4033-B1BE-043BB4391C72.jpeg

Reactions: Chesapeake
From that angle no it doesn’t. Mines in an eh6 with a light Palma chopped to 18” and an LRTSi....and in my mind looks like a monkey Effin a basketball

Got the new update parts installed today and it dramatically increased leverage of the bolt handle. I don't have to smack the bolt handle with slightly oversized brass now, I can just leverage it out easily. That was the first time I took the bolt apart. So many steps! Hoping I don't have to do that very often. Very happy with the way it turned out.

-Dan

Reactions: Dooby
I'm very pleased with how this action has turned out. I swapped the 0.055" Cocking Piece for a 0.045" piece during the bolt-mod turnaround and noted a significant improvement in how the bolt feels on close. I think there was no small amount of cock-on-close occurring with the 0.055" piece and my TT R700 Special. With the 0.045" it closes like butter. I've got about 120 rounds down the tube and easily 8x that in dry-fire.

I've also noted that the helical relief cut has made the action feel much, much better on close. A coworker of mine has a Nucleus, and to be frank I've never really liked it, as when closing the bolt it is very much a push forward, then down action. I didn't like that it felt like two distinct actions when sending the bolt home. Habit with previous bolt guns has me pushing forward and down when running the bolt, so I found that I could very easily lock up the action with the Archimedes before the helical cut mod. No so anymore.

IMG_0701.JPEG

IMG_0709.JPEG

For those of us with freakish LOP will there be spacers available for the Xylo. My LOP is almost 16.5"

Got my lefty long action magnum in today.

How do I determine in it has had the modifications done to it? Or should I just assume it has?

Attachments

• 20191105_172045.jpg
    20191105_172045.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 82
Got my lefty long action magnum in today.

How do I determine in it has had the modifications done to it? Or should I just assume it has?
Assume the mods have been done. Only a few got out that had to be modified, the rest were held until the modifications were done.

Assume the mods have been done. Only a few got out that had to be modified, the rest were held until the modifications were done.
Perfect.

If I go with a BixnAndy tacsport pro, will I need to swap out the cocking piece. Or should I just send both back to be timed.

Perfect.

If I go with a BixnAndy tacsport pro, will I need to swap out the cocking piece. Or should I just send both back to be timed.
I would ask them. I know a few of us sent in triggers so that they could be timed by ARC when the bolt issue first popped up. I sent in a BixnAndy Tacsport. So they probably already know what cocking piece you will need.

I too sent mine in with a TT Diamond, and i think the the cocking piece was changed from 780/55? to 780/45. I have no idea what those numbers mean :D

2019-09-20 22.03.56.jpg
Does anyone know the reason behind the washboard looking rear tang? Is that feature on SA and LA?

BnA Tacsport and Tacsport Pro will need an 035 cocking piece AND a low top sear (https://www.bulletcentral.com/product/bixn-andy-tacsport-top-sear/). At least both of mine did. It's difficult to lift the bolt with a standard/medium sear.

Anybody else running a BnA TacSport Pro finding that a low sear is needed? I am picking up an Archimedes on Tuesday (thanks Ruskin) and will go ahead and order the low sear if I need to. They are in stock now, but were out the last time I looked.

What seems to be the right cocking piece for the TriggerTech Diamond?

Hmm. Mine is 480/035. It does run really smoothly with no barrel on it...

There's no guaranty any other trigger will function like yours. ARC can only control their own production and even that has some tolerance. I have a 35 and 45 cocking piece, my advice is to get the 55 cocking piece and hand fit it. You may get lucky and one of the others will be perfect but more than likely not. Or, you can live with a little cock on close because it's pretty meaningless in general and way over blown. Your choice.

So I've never had this experience before and it doesn't impact the performance of the action for but if you have too short of a piece is it possible to end up with a tiny bit of negative cock on close?

So I've never had this experience before and it doesn't impact the performance of the action for but if you have too short of a piece is it possible to end up with a tiny bit of negative cock on close?
1573530437150.png

Basically, the cocking piece drops on the sear a bit. Generally speaking, too much negative cock, and you may have ignition issues.

Last edited:
There are variations between the two TT diamonds I tried in my Archimedes. I sent the action back with both triggers, with an 035 and 045 cocking piece, to let them figure it out. It came back with the 035 installed but with both cocking pieces the striker would fall when using a TT and cycling fast.

Before I sent it off the 035 let the cocking piece drop .018” onto the trigger. The 045 dropped it .008”. I probably need an 055 and stone to get it perfect but I am going to try a different trigger first.

How are you guys measuring these movements of the cocking piece?

I measure at the rear of the bolt. I measure with the cocking piece fully cocked then I measure again after I put the bolt handle down. I measure the distance from the cocking piece the the housing it is in.

Can someone help me understand if I ordered the right setup.

I went to my gunsmith and asked for help with ordering the right McMillan stock. He hadn't ever played with a Mausingfield before, but took some bottom metal out of a drawer that was Hawkins Precision CIP.

He lined it up and said that's what we would put on it. I said sure.

Anyway, I am sort of browsing some black friday deals and seen MDT is having a chassis sale. I read that on there that CIP is 3.850". I also read that the Mausingfield action is 3.78".

Does a Mausingfield take a 3.850 CIP bottom metal and magazine? This is for a .338 Norma.
If the Mausingfield doesn't take the CIP stuff is that what I really want for a .338 Norma?

I submitted the order form to McMillan already, but I can call Monday if I did it wrong.

Pretty basic stuff I know, but I am lost. Thanks for any help.

Inside vs. outside length.

3.850" outside is usually 3.750-3.780" inside (max C.o.a.l.).

Nuke L/a is compatible with CIP length mags.

Reactions: gnochi