• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

BLASPHEMY!

Haha, I know right!? Thankfully I got most of my bases covered with a TacOps in .308, A Mausingfield build with 6BRA and 6.5 creedmoor barrels, a Defiance Deviant build in .300NM, and I also have an unused barreled action sitting on my work bench (perhaps future truck gun build project??). I also just got a 6BRA Lone Peak Fuzion precision rifle build for the wife.

I have to tell myself that the stable is full so I don't keep hemorrhaging money haha. Perhaps a better term would may be "temporarily no vacancy in the rifle stable".

Reactions: Tunnuh
I had a Nucleus but ended up selling it for various reasons to fund an Impact build. Mainly it was just that I found what I wanted most was a lighter bolt lift rather than a shorter one, though not having to concern myself with keeping the firing pin spring area as clean was another. I really liked the extractor and ejector on the Nucleus though, in addition to the nitrided finish that made it slick as snot. I'll also miss the bolt knob, since the stock Nucleus/Mausingfield knob is my favorite of anything on the market.

The Archimedes has me curious though, with the design of it. I probably won't pre-order since I just dropped a large sum, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out if anyone locally has one to get my hands on and see what it feels like. It definitely sounds interesting since it's the most radically different bolt action of the bunch on the market.

Last edited:
We can switch out the recoil lug to a conical one. (There may be a small upgrade fee) Send an email to [email protected] they will add a note to your order.

The SA Nucleus barrel will fit perfectly on the Archimedes LA.

Contact PVA on your order with them. not a problem on our end.

I’m a bit confused. If we want to run a shoulder Barlock, would we need this setup?

Wow,
I just watched the video. Ted do you ever sleep?
I have a Mausingfield rifle with 3 barrels that is a super rifle and a Nucleus action that I have not built on yet. Now I have to have a Archimedes action and I defiantly want a Xylo Chassis . Ted you get me every time with your well thought out and functional products. I love your open mind to design it truly is a gift!!! Keep up The good work and best of luck at shot you are going to be super busy!!

I’m a bit confused. If we want to run a shoulder Barlock, would we need this setup?

Not necessarily. You can still use the flat face recoil lug withe conical ring, collar, and conical ring (this ring interface with the barrel shoulder). ARC's *.PDF description attached.

Attachments

• 1650.pdf
    239.4 KB · Views: 113
Not necessarily. You can still use the flat face recoil lug withe conical ring, collar, and conical ring (this ring interface with the barrel shoulder). ARC's *.PDF description attached.

So basically you’re eliminating a washer by using the setup on the right instead of using the setup on the left that goes onto a regular flat recoil lug?

So basically you’re eliminating a washer by using the setup on the right instead of using the setup on the left that goes onto a regular flat recoil lug?

Yes it would combine one the conical ring as part of the recoil lug. One less piece and also less tolerance stack up.

ARC needs to bring a toothbrush to market so some of you guys can scrub the sand out of your vaginas.

I don’t know of too many small companies that can become as vertically integrated in the time they have to keep up with demand. Were there bumps.....yep....and Ted and co. made the changes they needed to in a damn timely fashion.

I pre ordered an Archimedes just like I did a Nucreus....it gets here when it gets here.

I am guessing it is the same as the nucleus where the firing pin assembly threads in but can anyone confirm if it? Wondering if you are able to swap bolt faces without the use of tools (bayonet style)?

Yes it would combine one the conical ring as part of the recoil lug. One less piece and also less tolerance stack up.

Thank you! Sorry, I’m a barlock noob. Isn’t that the same thing as ordering the barlock with recoil lug and scope tab for $120 that ARC lists on their website?

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/barloc-10?category=7

Or would you just order it with the coned recoil lug if you already have a barlock so you don’t have to order this part too

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/barloc-recoil-lug-43?category=8

Good job on this design Ted! I hope that there is no infringement issues with Teds design and the design from the Ascalon Rifle. It supposedly has a patent pending. It uses a very similar method:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/11/2...tion-system-from-dutch-gunsmith-pim-de-waard/

https://www.dutchlongarms.com/the-ascalon/the-details

Ascalon_prototype-1_1-2678f2bb.jpeg
img_9655.jpg
img_9654.jpg
img_9653.png

Good job on this design Ted! I hope that there is no infringement issues with Teds design and the design from the Ascalon Rifle. It supposedly has a patent pending. It uses a very similar method:

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/11/2...tion-system-from-dutch-gunsmith-pim-de-waard/

https://www.dutchlongarms.com/the-ascalon/the-details

View attachment 7008763View attachment 7008765View attachment 7008764View attachment 7008766
and that's where i remember seeing this concept before

Reactions: BlueVFRank
One year in to the nuke an pre orders are still not filled, plus they are still trying to get it right..... I'll pass on anything arc from now on

I did. On their website it says recoil lug timed with rail. If that is accurate ime disappointed.
So you read the updates, direct from the source, and still asked the question as if we, who have no affiliation w/ the mfg, would know better?

I did. On their website it says recoil lug timed with rail. If that is accurate ime disappointed.

Yup, and also the website says its nitrided (instead of DLC) and the rail no longer uses their lug design. Those were three features that justified the $1600 ($300 over similar actions), so I hope this isn't true. Sounds like they are trying to integrate/simplify manufacturing across three actions with shared parts.

Here's the listed "improvements" on the website. Only thing I'd be interested in is a bolt upgrade with the bayonet and the 83* throw. Otherwise, I'm glad I got my LA Mausenfield last year.
Improvements
  • $1600
  • Short action weight 2.25 pounds, long action weight 2.5 pounds
  • 83-degree bolt rotation improves knob to scope clearance and shortens bolt cycle.
  • Bolt-lug guide rail improves anti-binding performance.
  • Dual cocking-cams and reduced cocking-cam pitch eases bolt lift.
  • Bump-free bolt closure improves the feel of the action when closing the bolt.
  • New bolt stop design improves durability and functionality.
  • Enlarged ejection port improves manual access.
  • Heavier striker improves ignition reliability.
  • Rem 700 style mag well accepts AICS style mags and supports BDL and Wyatt bottom metal.
  • Pin-less interchangeable scope rail secured by five conical-head, Torx-drive screws.
  • Pin-less recoil lug is clocked by the scope rail.
  • Machining in the hardened condition improves final form.
  • Salt-bath nitride finish improves corrosion resistance and reduces friction.
And:

INTERLOCKING SCOPE MOUNT AND CHOOSING THE INCLINATION ANGLE OF THE RAIL (Obsolete, 2019 major upgrade)

Last edited:
Yup, and also the website says its nitrided (instead of DLC) and the rail no longer uses their lug design. Those were three features that justified the $1600 ($300 over similar actions), so I hope this isn't true. If so, glad I got my LA M-5 last year. Sounds like they are trying to integrate/simplify manufacturing across three actions with shared parts.

Here's the listed "improvements" on the website.

Improvements
  • $1600
  • Short action weight 2.25 pounds, long action weight 2.5 pounds
  • 83-degree bolt rotation improves knob to scope clearance and shortens bolt cycle.
  • Bolt-lug guide rail improves anti-binding performance.
  • Dual cocking-cams and reduced cocking-cam pitch eases bolt lift.
  • Bump-free bolt closure improves the feel of the action when closing the bolt.
  • New bolt stop design improves durability and functionality.
  • Enlarged ejection port improves manual access.
  • Heavier striker improves ignition reliability.
  • Rem 700 style mag well accepts AICS style mags and supports BDL and Wyatt bottom metal.
  • Pin-less interchangeable scope rail secured by five conical-head, Torx-drive screws.
  • Pin-less recoil lug is clocked by the scope rail.
  • Machining in the hardened condition improves final form.
  • Salt-bath nitride finish improves corrosion resistance and reduces friction.
And:

INTERLOCKING SCOPE MOUNT AND CHOOSING THE INCLINATION ANGLE OF THE RAIL (Obsolete, 2019 major upgrade)
Yes that is why I was questioning this. I was hoping someone may have talked to them and maybe they made a mistake on their website. For me this is not a upgrade. Ime also glad I got my la m5 last year as well

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
Will these be the same barrel spec as the Mausingfield and Nucleus? Already have a couple of shouldered Nucleus prefits.
Yes, ARC actions use Savage small shank pre-fit compatible barrel thread.

Yup, and also the website says its nitrided (instead of DLC) and the rail no longer uses their lug design.
If I'm being entirely honest, I think the nitriding is an upgrade over the DLC. I had a Nucleus and have felt a few Mausingfields and the Nucleus was hands down slicker every time. Even Impact Precision, which a lot of guys think is about as good as it gets, uses nitriding over DLC.

The experience of myself (and those I've talked to) has been that DLC treatment works better if you do it after the action is already broken in, just because it's hard to pinpoint exactly what thickness the coating will come to and manufacture precisely around that. Breaking it in first gives the action a bit of slop so that the material added by the coating doesn't accidentally make things a bit tighter (since DLC isn't something that really wears down or breaks in all that well compared to a bare action).

Nitriding doesn't change the dimensions of the part, which makes it easier for manufacturing to the exact tolerances you wanted from the onset.

Will a folding stock be available for the Xylo? Makes for easier storage/transport.

Can anyone tell me about Ted finding the improvement on the closing of the bolt on the nucleus action? Did you just email and was the improvement noticeable?

Reactions: Robby0931
Can anyone tell me about Ted finding the improvement on the closing of the bolt on the nucleus action? Did you just email and was the improvement noticeable?
Sometime after SHOT show when they're not crazy busy they've said they plan to introduce a bolt head replacement program. From the photos of the old vs new bolt heads side by side in another thread it looks like they just adjusted the lead-in cut on the bolt lugs to make it a more gradual transition into locking the action closed compared to the original design.

Yes, ARC actions use Savage small shank pre-fit compatible barrel thread.

I was more concerned with overall dimensions than specifically thread pitch for use with shouldered barrels. Think it has been answered that they are the same spec. Appreciate it though!

Id like to know as well? Gen2 Bolt heads?

Interested in the impressions of those who get to play with the Archimedes at SHOT. The design makes perfect sense, and I'm sure the cocking is smooth and there's a lot of leverage available for extraction-- but I'm not not sure how that little bit of bolt handle pivot will feel when running the action. My mind wants to say that bit of "wiggle" in the bolt handle will probably feel weird... but you might not even notice it when actually running the action.

I've had my 223AI Nucleus together for about a month and 600 rounds now and really, really like it. My action is running the original design bolt head and also has 0.025" overcocking with the CG Mod 22 trigger, and a slight bump on close that some people talk about can be felt when running the bolt very slowly on the bench-- but it isn't noticeable when running the action normally, it feels super smooth when prone and actually shooting it. The rev 2 bolt head will only improve on that feel once ARC gets the exchange program going. The Archimedes is very interesting from a design standpoint and should be even smoother-- I'm tempted to order one (or two) even though I still have a bare long action Nucleus sitting in the safe for a future 7 SAUM build.

Still have 9 days to decide at the preorder price... I'm sure some of you posting impressions from SHOT will make up my mind for me.

Last edited:
Archimedes is slick, you don't notice the pivot. If you can swing the extra coin, the straight pull extraction is absolutely worth the premium over the nuke.
Having said that, the real winner the chassis, that thing is a marvel.

Reactions: dghboy315
I'm going to try and bubble this question back up:

Any info on which triggers exhibit the "a slight bump may be felt depending on the trigger used "vs which do not?

I’ve only run Trigger Tech in my Nucleus. I have about 300 rounds down mine with a Special. I only notice the bump when I’m pissing around with it on the bench. I just dropped a Diamond in it from the Black Friday sale and I really don’t notice it at all now. People have REALLY blown this issue out of proportion, although I cant speak to other triggers and the severity.