• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes American Rifle Company vs. Spuhr Scope Mount

408s10

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2014
Can't decide what scopes rings to go with. Have narrowed it down to the American Rifle Company M10 rings and the Spuhr scope mounts. Going to be using this for long range competition. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks !

Both are good but a Spuhr one piece is more than double the cost of the other rings. Do you want to spend around 180 for rings or over 400 for a 1 piece? When I go rings I stick with badger as that is what i am use to and while some have reported slipping issues with Spuhr, I have not had any issues with mine. One thing you need to think about are any attachments you may want to add as Spuhr will allow for items to be secured to the scope mount while the rings will not. All depends on what you may need and how much you want to spend.

Both my match rifle and my trainer have Spuhr mounts. I just can't go back after I got a set. They are very easy to use, and overall just a great product. I love Spuhr all the way

I've got a set of M10s, and they're solid. I don't have any experience with Spuhr.

I just got 3 sets of M10s in and boy, they are something! I wont go back....

I love the M10 rings, but am well aware that Spuhr makes an excellent product as well. You might ask yourself if there is some tangible benefit from spending more than twice the cost of what are already some very expensive rings. With the one-piece mounts with elevation I can see a benefit, on the right rifle. (And would also note that ARC makes a one-piece mount with elevation for under $300.) But for just rings, or where rings are more than adequate, I can't see a benefit to the Spuhr mount.

Disclosure: Own three sets of ARC rings, one M10, two M3. Don't own a Spuhr mount, did "own" one for two days but that's a long story. It was obviously well made.

ARC Unimounts and Rings are the only things I will mount a scope to my rifle with!!!

once again another vote for Spuhr. If you follow Spuhr on FB you will see all the cool, innovative stuff that he has made, prototyped or is bringing to production. He does so much more than just his mounts, he truly is a genius when it comes to making stuff.

ARC convert here. m10's are the best rings you can buy IMO....although the torque values will make most grown men want to cry, still not used to it.

+1 for ARC M10s, also ted is great to talk to on the phone. Don't be in a hurry when you call to order because I always end up talking for half an hour. Customer service doesn't get any better.

For the price and quality I would go American Rifle Co. Buy three sets for the price of one Spuhr.

I've always been a big advocate of Seekins, and still am, but I recently picked up a set of ARC M10s and have been extremely impressed with them. Not that scope mounting is a difficult thing to do with traditional-style clamp rings, but it's amazing how freakin' convenient it is to simply drop the scope into the flipped-open ARC rings, close the clamshells, and tighten 1 screw.

Clearly, the Sphur mounts are extremely high quality and masterfully machined. But so are the ARCs, which are way less money.

Both ARC and Spuhr make individual ring sets. No budget or want to mount accessories on the rings =Spuhr. Still need top quality and on a moderate budget or have no need for accessories, ARC. The spuhr piccatinny rail leveling tool is awesome and will work with any piccatinny rail. Its all up to you.

I have no expierence with Spuhr but love the ARC M3 rings that I own. For camparison I did have a set of Nightforce Ultralite rings that were very impressive but I think that the ARC's are in a league above the NF's. Futhermore, the initial set of ARC's that I purchased were the first gen and a couple of days after buying them the M3's came out. I contacted the owner of ARC (name eludes me right now) and he exchanged the new ones for the older gen, and didn't even ask for the difference in price. Absolutely first class rings and company, from what I've heard the exact same can be said about Spuhr. It's really a win-win and there's no way that you won't be pleased with your decision.

Installation with the ARC's is also very easy, as was already mentioned.

Can't decide what scopes rings to go with. Have narrowed it down to the American Rifle Company M10 rings and the Spuhr scope mounts. Going to be using this for long range competition. Any opinions or suggestions. Thanks !

I do own two Spuhr mounts. If I needed another I would purchase a third without a question.

I stripped one of four T screws on first mount purchased. I sent email to Spuhr asking for cost of four replacement T screws. I received an email back within 24 hours asking for my address. A few days later I received four replacement screws at 'No Charge'. Because of this I did not think twice when purchasing my second Spuhr.

Truth is because of mount cost I personally felt they should have sent without charge as they did but I offered to pay because it was 'MY' fault screw was stripped.

Because my wife has since confiscated my .223 with Spuhr mount I may have to have another custom built and, if so, I will purchase a third Spuhr.

I do not have any experience with other mount you speak of.

Just my two cents...

I'm running an M10 QD-L scope mount on my precision 6.5 Grendel and it's outstanding! I don't have any experience with the Spuhr unit - but, I'm sure it's outstanding as well. However, as stated above, I wanted to save a few bucks and buy more ammo with the savings. Therefore, I went with the ARC M10 QD-L.

The owner & brains behind American Rifle Company is Theodore Karagias...one highly educated mechanical engineer, and his works shows in his products, no question. Google his info...very impressive resume + if you watch his videos discussing his M2 Precision Rifle and all of the Patent pending features, it really is impressive.

AvsFan:cool:

As I understand it the Sphur is for mounting other stuff like red dots etc. otherwise, why go double on price for the same effect?

I'm all on the M10s.

Do they require more or less torque than usual? Just curious.

The M10s have a single 1/4-28 screw that clamps the scope, instead of 4 itty bitty #8s (or whatever size) traditional scope ring caps use. Thus, they require a lot more torque than you're used to.... about 55-60 in lb, or about the same as the ring-to-rail screws on most scoperings.

I believe the M10s are 50in/lbs... very easy to torque the rings and keep the scope level...

Last edited:
Got 2 Spuhr qd mounts and have had other non qd Spuhr mounts over the years. They are top notch and the qd is some of the best in my opinion. Having said that Ive got a set of ARC M10 Rings on the way to replace one of my Spuhr mounts. The Spuhrs are nice but they are bulky. And for this rifle slimmer and smaller is the way to go.

I know this thread is older, but since it's been resuscitated I'll throw my vote in for ARC M10 rings. I've owned 3 sets now and will own more. Cost, weight, performance, etc... There is no equal.

Older thread but my 2 cents....I've ran every high end optic mounts available...minus a ScalarWorks...I've settled to use ARC rings...makes things super easy to install and level...provides even clamping vs traditional mounts...they are a stout design...relatively well priced for the rings and you are supporting a great small business...can't go wrong...

Reactions: phlegethon
I have a pair of ARC M10 rings on a rifle and they’re pretty awesome. Super easy to mount the scope in and torque to spec without wiggling things around

What is it with all these jokers reviving 5+ year old threads.

Some Autistic level internet etiquette going on.

Etiquette? I think it is more wasteful when people do not use the search function and just open new threads about the same darn thing over and over again...I much rather save the bandwidth for the site instead of wasting it...

Reactions: Bakwa

It's one thing to resurrect a thread on something that's no longer relevant.
However, since these mounting systems are still being compared to this day with no clear superior, the more people that weigh in the better.

That is unless you would prefer the rest of us to start a new thread every 6 months on the same topic for the most updated info....

ARC M10s are still relevant indeed and every bit as quality as SPHUR at 1/3rd the cost! I often swap a scope in M10s with little or no adjustments between rifles ( all FNH SPR platforms) other than elevation. Quality is timeless!

Both are good, all depends on what you want. If you want to eventually mount things around your scope like a diving board, level, data board, the spur is the way to go. I used to be all about badger rings but once I tried my first set of M10s I was sold. Return to zero is also very good. I was able to completely break down a gun, change chassis, reinstall the scope+rings only to have a .2 shift. Mounting is easy for either. Honestly the M10s are easiest rings I've ever installed a scope in. Ultimately it's up to whatever you want.