• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes American Rifle M3 Rings - experience thus far

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">American Rifle - Generation 1 Rings, Xtra High.</span></span>

P7066948.JPG

<span style="font-style: italic">Fig 1 - Assembled ring and exploded view</span>

As many shooters around here know, it's not uncommon to see a scope that has clamping marks on it. These marks are attributed to several things ranging from out of spec parts (rings or bases), to misaligned rings, or to over tightening. I have seen this firsthand on a couple of scopes that I have had in the past, one of my Nightforce NXS's still bears ring marks from the first owner. Ring lapping kits, ring alignment gauges, etc have all been proposed solutions to remedy this problem.

I did some googling to see what other ring systems might be available since the split clamp style ring is relatively unchanged for the past 50 years or more. Some companies have refined the design and they indeed provide a very high quality product, but at the end of the day the design still creates 2 "pinch points" on each side of the scope. This is driven by the fact that the deformation of the scope tube is funneled towards the tangency point at each side of the tube and a slight "bubble" is formed in the split ring. The clamping force of the ring crushes this and you get a ring mark. (see http://americanrifle.com/scope_rings/ for their full disclosure)

Rather than split the ring at the horizontal tangency point, American Rifle keeps the clamp setup so that an optimal contact is maintained and ring marks are eliminated.

OK, so that's the sales pitch anyway. I'm generally pretty incredulous when a company makes claims that involve the words "eliminate" and "never". For those that don't know, I work as a stress analyst in the Aerospace industry. Helicopters are my primary repsonsibilities now, but I've done composites, military jets and commercial transport aircraft. I'm also incredulous when snapshots from Finite Element models are shown because they're quite easy to massage until it looks good. I specialize in computational mechanics (aka FEA/FEM and analytical solutions) so I've made my fair share of them in the past few years.

I did take a closer look at the stress footprints shown and I think they're pretty close. The high pressure areas shown on the standard split ring mimic the worst cases of ring marks. Likewise, the redesign shows a significant reduction in high contact stress regions but an improvement in overall contact.

The rings are advertised to have a convex surface on the contact regions for mounting to the Picatinny Rail. This is supposed to improve the return to zero capability and the overall mounting integrity on the ring base.

P7066955.JPG

<span style="font-style: italic">Fig. 2 - Convex rail contact surfaces </span>

Another feature is on the cross-bolt nut/washer. They are machined with convex/concave matching surfaces to self-center when the rings are torqued to the base.

P7066952.JPG

<span style="font-style: italic">Fig 3 - Convex/Concave cross-bolt nut arrangement</span>

Initial impressions upon opening the box were great. The fit and finish is top notch and they flat out look cool. I really like that you can completely disassmble the lower portions of the rings. This makes it much easier for a colored coating to be put on by a gunsmith to match the rest of the rifle's color scheme or camouflage pattern.

The instructions are well detailed and clearly setup for everyone. There are detailed instructions for mounting with a torque wrench and detailed instructions for "finger tight, plus 1/4 turn" style assembly.

The machining is very nicely finished, there are no tooling marks, cutter marks, the AL parts fit well in the steel pieces, and the cross-bolt fits very snugly into the recess for the head. All in all, it's a high quality product that I've come to expect from somewhere that is focused on the quality and reliability, not on shoving junk out the door just to make a buck.

I put them on my DPMS LR-260 and snapped a few pictures to show the quality of the manufacturing. They zero'd out without an issue, in fact, I must have some minor offset in the previous rings I had on here because it was much closer to optically centered, the last set needed about 15 MOA left to zero.

P7076959.JPG

<span style="font-style: italic">Fig 4 - Rings doing what they're supposed to do</span>

I shot the rifle off and on through the day, took the rings off the base, put them back on and fired to check the zero return. I was pleasantly rewarded with no appreciable change. The rifle shoots in the 1/2-5/8" @100yd and I saw about 1/4" of change in zero on the first round. One click down and it was back in place. I was satisfied, it's very possible that I didn't drive the rifle as well as it could have gone because I ended up returning the rifle to my marked zero before the end of the day.

The last test I did was not planned. On Friday afternoon before a saturday morning match I tripped over the dog and fell into the rifle which was leaned up to my reloading bench. The rifle slid sideways and landed smack on an ammo can and thumped the forward ring. Since the match at 830 am allowed for no zero check and the first round was 600yd on paper for score I couldn't let it go. I drove back out to the range on Friday evening and fired 5 rounds. No change.

Not only was I relieved that there was no zero change, but I have quite a bit of respect for a good set of rings now. I'm definitely pleased with these things. I didn't take any pictures during the match since it was a torrential downpour and I had no intentions of subjecting my camera to those conditions. The rings had no issues whatsoever. I did have a catastrophic failure on the charging handle which cut the match short for me, but I hit the CBS and 8/9 of the movers at 300yd. They stood up to me mortaring the rifle, using a 2x4 to smack the charging handle open (this is what bent it). I took it back out to the range this morning to see how the rings stood up to being tipped, smacked, bumped, etc and the first round hit 6" steel at 500yd. I think that's enough for me to consider them "sufficiently tough"

The downside that I see is the rings are pretty expensive at first glance. When compared to something like the Burris XTR line these are much more expensive (4x's the cost) but let's think about the relative cost of what we're dealing with. Many shooters are using EGW, Near Mfg, Nightforce, et al. ring and base sets. A set of NF rings is 140-150 bucks. They are still capable of marring up that $1600+ scope that's on there. I looked at it this way: I have $3200 in my LR-260 including the glass, would I have not bought it if I put 3200 into the rifle instead of 3150? Nope, however, if I decide to part it out and sell it, not having ring marks on the scope will easily keep the resale price 50 bucks higher, so I chalk it up as a wash in cost outlay.

In features, I think these are a huge win.

I will be ordering more rings from them as I have a 7mm BAT build coming in the near weeks, I think that American Rifle has a great product.

Re: American Rifle M3 Rings - experience thus far

did you check for alignment?

can you lap these rings?

You can lap these rings if you want to but if mounted to a straight rail, lapping should not be necessary as the rail interface and the scope interface are cut during the first machining operation. The accuracy and precision of the rail/scope interface is limited by the machines accuracy and precision which is generally very good. The ring's are anodized with a type 3 hard coat which is very hard, something like 70 Rockwell C. An anodized surface is basically aluminum oxide so lapping it would require either considerable effort or the use of a much harder compound, like diamond.

Thanks for posting about these Bohem! Great to the point product report.

I like the concepts used and your right,they do look cool,I'm gonna have to get pair.

Just a bump on this one for an update. I ordered a set for my 7mm BAT recently and spoke to the company owner (Ted Karagais, from above).

He's updated the website with the Gen 2 version of the rings, as good as the Gen 1's were he found ways to reduce weight and improve the overall package. I should have a set in the next few days, when the rifle is complete I'll do an update to this review. The new ones look pretty sexy.

MainScope-Gen2.jpg

I saw these rings in person and I will have to say I like the design and concept behind them. Ted also uses the best materials so that is a bonus for sure.

Wanted to bump this thread. I had a chance to play with these at shot and they are amazing. I have already ordered a set and will be running them on my new rifle.

Tighten the bolts finger tight and you have to struggle to get the scope to budge.
Crank them to 55 inch lbs, beat on it, repeat, and you still have zero ring marks when you remove the rings.

Great product and Ted is a good guy to boot.

These are interesting. Anyone know if these will work with an Accuracy International AE MKII looking to mount an S&B PMII 5-25x56.

Great info. thanks for the review.

Info and images from their site for those that did not click on the links above and dig around:

m3-1-00_tangent_screw_axis-Gen2_L.jpg

Unique to the M3 patent pending design is a hinge on one side and an overlapping interface on the other used to secure the scope. The hinge minimizes the number of screws used to clamp the scope. The overlapping interface stems from the placement of those screws, which is critical to securing the scope without damaging it. The screws are tangent to the scope tube so that when tightened, the ring cap is pulled down over the scope tube without bending in a way that will damage the scope

The bottom part of the ring saddles the scope along 180 degrees of its circumference preventing the scope from moving laterally within the ring as the screws are tightened.

American Rifle used finite element analysis (FEA) to engineer a scope ring that optimally distributes clamping forces over the scope tube. A force of 500 pounds* was applied at each screw location during the analysis to simulate the forces imparted by the screws. As depicted in the resulting stress plots below, the M3’s tangential scope clamp evenly distributes the clamp forces over the tube. As a result, no significant stress concentrations are present on the scope tube.

offset_screw_forces_rev_B_S.jpg

arc_iso_with_cap_S.jpg

pri_iso_with_cap_S.jpg

In stark contrast, all other rings use screws which are offset from the scope tube by some distance. FEA was used to visualize the stress within the scope tube caused by forces imparted by these offset screws. Again, a 500 pound force was applied at each screw location during the analysis. The resulting stress plots show the stress concentration (red) present within the scope tube near the joint between the upper and lower parts of the ring assembly. The forces imparted by the offset screws drive the proximal corner of the ring cap into the scope tube causing the stress concentration. This can indent the scope tube or mar its finish. Furthermore, when the rings of these mounting systems are misaligned with respect to one another, the stress concentration can be further intensified.

--------------------
Our customers have been very pleased with these rings. It is refreshing to see someone design and make a set of rings from the ground with so much engineering behind them.

It is like an engineer from another industry that has never seen scope rings was presented with the task to make a clamping device that holds a scope to a base the strongest way possible without damaging the scope. Then was provided all of the best resources needed to achieve this task.

http://swfa.com/American-Rifle-Mounts-C3443.aspx

I've got a set of these rings (in low) on my AI AE MK I holding a USO SN3. I'll get some pictures up tonight for you but they should work on any standard pic rail.

Ted's was great to work with and the rings are top notch.

There isn't a better grip-to-tension ratio in the market. I saw these get cranked down to 50-inch pounds on a test 30mm coated tube about 30 times and not a single mark or dent in the tube. Tried to do the same with Badger and Leupold and the tube was marked.

Nothing better on the market and from here on, nothing else will be hold my Hensoldt.

I must say that I really appreciate the kind sentiments within this thread. Thanks guys and a special thanks to those of you at Shot who found the time to swing by the booth. Shot went really well. We had a steady stream of interested shooters who wanted a closer look at the design as well as some scope manufacturers who welcomed a design that would not damage their products. With the continued support of the shooting community, I hope that designs currently on American Rifle's drawing board can be brought to market as innovative products.

Thanks again...

The rails supplied with the AI MKII rifles will not accommodate American Rifle's M3 Rings. The underside of the rings exhibit two recoil lugs and must therefore engage rails with slots spaced 10mm apart. The slots of the rail supplied with the MKII rifle that would otherwise coincide with the receiver screw holes have been omitted. American Rifle has provided rails for the MKII in the past and at least one such rail is currently in stock.

The reason we use two slots is because we use two screws for clamping to the rail. These rail screw holes are actually drilled and tapped into the recoil lugs in order to get them as close to the rail as possible which maximises the clamp force imparted upon the rail. If the screws were higher, the rail clamp would actually impart more force on the ring base and less on the rail. All of this is important because our aim is to securely attached heavy scopes to rifles with high recoil accelerations. Incidentally, powerful lightweight rifles impart the highest accelerations and therefore the highest forces on the rings. A big 38 pound 50 cal is actually much less severe than a 7 pound 325 WSM. Felt recoil actually has nothing to do with the highest forces realized by the rings.

I hope this explains some of the considerations that led to the design of the M3 rings.

Theodore,

Bohem turned me on to these when we were talking about a new project I have in the works. I must say that I really like what I see. Very "form follows function". Well done.

John

I've been using the Gen 2 rings now for about 3 months and I'm very impressed, even more so from the G1's which I wrote about above.

They are exceptionally light, I have a set of 30mm "low" rings holding my Nightforce onto a 300 WSM hunting rifle and it's been stellar so far. The complete pair of low 30's weighs like 4oz, a huge improvement over the last set of rings on there in weight alone.

For those of you who actually care what I write on product reviews, I've been in contact with Ted to pickup a set of his 35mm rings for the new Vortex Razor HD's that I have coming. I'm getting rid of all the "current technology" rings that I have in favor of the American Rifle stuff. It's hard to ignore a product this good and one where 100% of it is American made, American materials, and American machine equipment.

I am posting because I am another very satisfied customer. I picked up a set of the Gen II in extra high for use on my AR-10. They are holding my NF 5.5-22x56 on and they have functioned flawlessly. I have had to take the scope off and on the rifle a few different times to get some work done on the rifle and the zero has never moved. I will definitely be buying another set of rings, this time in low, to replace the rings on my bolt gun.

Thanks Ted for the awesome product and thanks Bohem for opening my eyes to a great product.

Weaver rings (the old style) clamped the same way....and, even though they don't look "cool" anymore, they did (and still do) the job VERY well, with no ring marks.

I realize these are much more refined and a better product but I have to ask the question...

When you tighten these down, do they slightly twist the scope like the old Weavers?? They are very aggravating to try and level the scope.

I realize this will also depend on the flatness of the base, obviously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver rings (the old style) clamped the same way....and, even though they don't look "cool" anymore, they did (and still do) the job VERY well, with no ring marks.

I realize these are much more refined and a better product but I have to ask the question...

When you tighten these down, do they slightly twist the scope like the old Weavers?? They are very aggravating to try and level the scope.

I realize this will also depend on the flatness of the base, obviously. </div></div>

Yes, sometimes this happens. I have 4 Nightforces with these rings on them. 1 of them rolls slightly. It happens to be at the high end of the tube diameter tolerance.

The way around the rolling issue is to mount the rings via Lowlight's feeler gauge method, when the gauges are left under the scope during tightening I didn't get the scope to roll anymore.

The feature that isn't talked about much yet is the return to zero properties that come from his "Crowned Rail Interface". I've tested it a few times myself and Ply1951Guy was with me, he's seen how nicely it works too.

I've been shooting 2 sets of these rings for about a year now. I have a 30mm set on my Big Horn 260 match gun and a 35mm set on my TRG. I love these things.
They are my go to rings and all builds will have a set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver rings (the old style) clamped the same way....and, even though they don't look "cool" anymore, they did (and still do) the job VERY well, with no ring marks.

I realize this will also depend on the flatness of the base, obviously. </div></div>

The scope does rotate slightly when the screws are tightened, however what is truly perplexing is that occasionally this does not happen. That's a good thing because it suggests it may be possible to completely eliminate this behavior with further development. The instruction set published for the rings indicates that is important to alternate between all four screws (two on each ring) while tightening them gradually. Also, the feeler gage (or Joe block) method discussed by Lowlight, Bohem, etc is helpful.

It is a bit of a misconception that a hinge is responsible for said rotation. In fact, so long as there is relative motion between the ring and the scope caused by tightening the screws, the cross hairs may rotate with respect to the firearm. This is inescapable and I trust that nearly all of us have experienced this with conventional split ring designs.

In lieu of gentle but extremely effective scope clamping and a low profile design allowing for a clear view of the scope's turrets while in the shooting position, I figured that a slight amount of scope rotation while tightening the screws was acceptable especially if one could compensate for it. Additionally, the fact remains that had I gone with a conventional split ring design, the scope would still undergo rotation while tightening screws and would also lack the other benefits offered by the current M3 design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RayDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting 2 sets of these rings for about a year now. I have a 30mm set on my Big Horn 260 match gun and a 35mm set on my TRG. I love these things.
They are my go to rings and all builds will have a set. </div></div>

Ray,

Are you running these on your match rifle and if so could you give us your opinion on these rings and what experiences you have had with them. Also, if you have had any experience with removing and remounting the scope, Im sure we would be interested to hear your thoughts on the design which helps to facilitate a better return to zero.

Thanks.

American Rifle Co. rings on an AI MK I (these are the low rings).

AI003.jpg

AI010.jpg

AI006.jpg

The images doesn't do justice to the fit and finish of this product. The base was also made by America Rifle Co.

I love how slimline these rings are. Absolutely no obstruction of the turrets whatsoever. Good job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bubbajoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">American Rifle Co. rings on an AI MK I (these are the low rings).

AI003.jpg

AI010.jpg

AI006.jpg

The images doesn't do justice to the fit and finish of this product. The base was also made by America Rifle Co.

</div></div>

I'm more concerned with the purple anodizing on the scope.

What's wrong with purple? Both my parents were hippies! The purple is just from the flash.

I absolutely love both my sets of ARC rings. I have a set on my tactical set up and really like how strong they are. Obviously becuase the materials are the best available. I also have a set on my long range hunting set up. They are much lighter than a set of "weaker" steel rings. I am happy, thank you ARC.

jake

I have a set of the ARC rings and must say that I am very impressed with them. I recently sent my rifle in for some work and took my scope off. So I decided to run it on my AR while my main rifle is in the shop. I had to move the front ring back in order to engage the rail on my AR. When I took the front ring off the scope looked good as new. You couldn't even tell there had been a ring attached to it.

They are a very nice set of rings.

Good afternoon,

I purchased a set of the ARC rings due to the design theory (I'm a structures engineer) and the amount of engineering that went into them.

However, I'm having a really hard time keeping the scope from rotating. In fact, I cannot. I've tried for 3 hours today using the feeler gauge method but no matter what, the scope rotates. If I use the # of feeler gages to prevent rotation, they cannot be removed after tightening the screws. When I remove a few thousandths of an inch of feeler gages, the scope rotates again. I've tried every combination imaginable, and all I've ended up with is a rotated scope and finish wear on my base trying to remove the damned feeler gages.

Does anyone have another solution(s)? I really want to like these rings. They're extremely well made and provide incredible clamping without marks, but I'll be buying something different on Monday if I can't get it right. Wasted a half the day today, but I hate to give up a good fight.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Warmest regards,
Rob

Rob,

since you are into engineering anyway, why not try to kind of reverse engineer this problem?

Your description sounds like the scope rotates in one direction when tightening the top "clamp", and this rotation should be more or less repeatable. Try to get the scope leveled with the feeler gauges before tightening the screws more than necessary to keep the scope from rotating, remove the feeler gauges and tighten the screws to spec (using a torque wrench should help with repeatability). Now the scope ist clamped down but of course it will not be level any more because it has rotated.
Now measure the amount of rotation with the feeler gauges by determining how much minimum clearance there is between the scope and the rail, loosen the screwas and rotate the scope by the same amount, but into the opposite direction. Should be pretty easy to do by just placing the feeler gauges with the thickness you have just determined under the scope and rotating it until it stops. Now if you remove the feeler gauges and tighten the clamp, your scope will rotate and eliminate the "negative cant" you have introduced deliberately - in theory. Check with the feeler gauges.

If the amount of rotation is not repeatable, this will not work straight away, but it may be worth a try to see if you can win this battle with a little unorthodox tactic.
wink.gif

Rob, I agree with the above post just rotate the scope the other direction so it ends up square. I dont think it should take any where near 3 hours.

By the way where in Maine are you, I live in Lewiston and am always looking for more people to shoot with. If intrested shoot me a PM. I also have a set of these rings and am waiting on my new scope.

best of luck, Jesse

The ring rotation issue is not unique to ARC rings. I and many others have had this to contend with along with rings screwing up the scope so if this is all that ARC rings do wrong then that's fine by me!

Personally, because tightening the clamp's 2 screws is so much easier than messing with 4 or even 6 screws as per the other rings, I just keep a finger on the scope while tightening the side screws. No rotation, no problem.

Good morning, guys,

Thanks for the input and advice. I can't thank all of you enough for your time, interest and thoughtfulness to help! I ended up getting a precision level and as David S suggested, installed the scope and tightened the rings, measured the angle, then loosened them to the same point as I started, rotated the opposite way, and tried again. After the second try, everything was fairly square.

Hi jbell, I'll drop you a line...good to know of a "local" (2 hrs) fellow (I'm in the Bangor area)!! I shoot USPSA Limited and Production in Hampden and occupationally Augusta. Yes, I was getting frustrated after all that time. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I've mounted about 10 scopes and never run into this. I must admit I was being especially careful to get them oriented correctly since I read here on the forums the importance of this, especially when adding corrections at very long range which I hope to do when I am in an area that I can. Please keep in mind that I have NO experience shooting beyond 300 yds or so, and never with a scope at that range. My scopes were on hunting rifles and here in Maine (jbell can attest to this!) a LONG shot is 100-200 yds and most are in the woods at 25 yds. I am completely new to this from a precision standpoint, and have been depending heavily on a friend who is experienced and this forum (thank God for both...he told me about the forum, too). Perhaps I'm being too picky with alignment? It was about 3-4 degrees of twist. I am known to be a bit anal-retentive with my stuff.
frown.gif

I had tried holding the scope to prevent rotation early on in the process, however I had underestimated the amount of torque the rings could exert. I guess I shouldn't have been since it would wedge the shims underneath it so tight you couldn't remove them. I hadn't run into this with normal split rings if I tightened them evenly, but remember, I haven't done significant numbers of scope mountings...perhaps 10 total. But in the past it had always taken 10-15 minutes. I'm no expert and never will be...I'm always learning. Even after 20 years at my job I'm constantly learning!

I agree wholeheartedly that these rings are a different animal. I've never had scope ring marks, but these rings provide more clamping force and I can say after "many" removals and re-installs
smile.gif
that these rings don't leave a mark. The quality of the machining is also first rate. I really want to like them. The concept and execution is excellent..they really are fine rings but boy was I frustrated!!

By the way, here was the setup:

Savage 10FCP HS Precision Stock, 5R rifled barrel w/ threaded muzzle and flutes
Weaver 800363 3-15x50 mil dot / mil adjustments
Badger Ordnance Base

Once again, thanks to all for your input.

All my best,
Rob

Great that is worked out for you! Your next thrill is going to come from taking that scope off with the rings attached, placing them back on and having a return to zero...!

Interesting new design. I love seeing innovation!

Have any of you had issues with using a torque wrench and straight bit to torque down the ring screws? I'm wondering how much clearance is there to work with.

If anybody can throw up a pic, it would be much appreciated.

I don't have a handy picture, but they were no trouble to get in there and torque them down. I've got a couple of sets now on an AR15, AR10, and several bolt rifles. No issues getting the wrench in there.

I think flounder has a few up close pics of these rings on his 284, I'll send him a PM and see if he can post something.

I got my new scope this weekend and had i installed in the ARC M3's in about 10-15 min and Im fussy. I do like the rings alot. Ill try to throw some pics up soon. I would definately recomend them.

I just installed a set on my rifle, I really like them. Just waiting on my scope. I used a hex ball socket, no issues with getting in to torque them. I don't think you could use a Borka on the cap screws.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Borka Tools MG3-SRA, as currently shipped, includes Autolock bit holder and 2 7/8" magnetic bit holder, which can be used as an extension for Autolock, elongating the driver spindle to at least 4".

Ive got a few sets of these rings now and really love them. No issues at all!

Has anyone tried to mount this with Borka torque driver?? What i was thinking of is that the screws are underneath and it can get tight to get that thing in there.

Thank You!

I have a Borka and it there is a small work-around under certain setups from what I've heard.

I have a Borka and had no problems installing the Gen 1 or Gen 2 rings on my AR15, AR10, and several bolt guns.

The work around I've heard of is to put a small extension on the Borka and then it handles the job nicely.

The latest generation of rings (Gen 3) has no issues whatsoever with any toque screwdriver. The screws are located with lots of room around them.

IMG_4806.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karlj86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone tried to mount this with Borka torque driver?? What i was thinking of is that the screws are underneath and it can get tight to get that thing in there.

Thank You! </div></div>

Current MG3-SRA kits includes 2 3/8" long Autolock and 2 7/8" long magnetic bit holder, whch can be combined together for longer reach. I think it should work just fine, although I have no first hand experience.

This is a picture of such elongated spindle setup from excellent review by 762slinger:

100_3144.jpg

thanks guys for fast replies. I'll give it a shot
smile.gif

Edit: Fitted like a glove, i attached a bubble on the tower to check how much it rotated. Compensated for that and wollah
laugh.gif

5975791778_daf8c4064b_z.jpg