• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle's M5 Bolt Action, The Mausingfield

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
American Rifle Company, M5 Bolt Action, The Mausingfield - YouTube

Hi all,

I’d like to introduce the American Rifle’s M5 Bolt Action, dubbed the Mausingfield. I designed this for custom builders who desired an action with a Rem 700 footprint. If you are at the Shot Show, swing buy booth 2701 to have a look at it. I’d also like to thank Mark Gordon of Short Actions customs for building the rifle on display at our booth and for his collaboration during design.

Externally the action is the same size as the 700 SA. Long actions and left hand versions will also be available. The action is compatible with triggers, bottom metal, and chassis systems that work with the M700. In is designed for use with AICS mags and not the AW mags. I don’t recommend fitting an AW mag to the M5 Mausingfield or a Remington 700 clone because doing so butchers the bottom of the action. At some point, I plan on making double-stack center-feed mags that will be more compact that the AICS mags but for now, AICS mags will have to do.

The rail is not M700 compatible nor is it an integral part of the receiver. It can be swapped out in order to change the inclination. The rail is secured to the receiver by way of five 8-36 x ¼” long standard socket head cap screws and a tapered key that eliminates the possibility of slippage.

The recoil lug is an integral part of the receiver.

A Mauser style bolt and extractor is used because Mauser system offers the best chance of extracting a case stubbornly stuck in the chamber. A toroidal bolt lug bearing surface engages a corresponding spherical bearing surface within the receiver so that the bolt lugs can only properly contact the receiver. Lapping is unnecessary as is a floating bolt head or any other scheme for establishing proper contact between the lugs and the receiver. As always, the best solution to a problem is the elimination of the cause of the problem. With this lug design, I could predictably control contact and therefore stress which allowed me to reduce the size of the lugs making room for a Mauser style extractor that can snap over the rim of a case already in the chamber. Most of what has been published on the internet and in many books about bolt lugs shearing off is incorrect. This is not the failure mode that one should be concerned with when designing bolt action. I’m not going to get into the details of this but modern FEA techniques offer us the ability to really understand the interaction between bolt and receiver.

I incorporated a 1903 Springfield style ejector because it is an extremely smart, robust, and reliable design. It is completely passive, forcefully driven into engagement with the case by the reward moving bolt without pins or springs to get stuck, corrode, or otherwise fail.

I don’t like to discuss metallurgy and heat treatment but rest assured that I am only using well controlled steels commonly used in aerospace. I don’t like the aerospace buzz word because it is over used but these material really do offer significant piece of mind and advantages especially in regards to manufacturing.

The barrel thread is 1.090” – 16.

I like the action more than I thought I would while I was designing it. Its development consumed valuable bandwidth I would have otherwise used for the development of the M2 but some of the M5’s attributes were incorporated in the M2. In the end, I think this is now the best M700 clone available because it is not really a clone while most others are. I cherry picked the best designs and solved the lug contact problem using modern engineering techniques. I regard lug lapping and floating bolt head as Band-Aids on wounds that shouldn’t exist. So, for your next build, please seriously consider using the American Rifle’s M5 Mausingfield.
Enjoy…

Some images:

M5actionrender6_zpsca43eb01.png

M5actionrender3_zps02ae78a5.png

M5basicdims_zps94100c6a.jpg

M5actionrender4_zps7c476697.png

Ted, any word on pricing or availability for dealers at this time? Looking forward to getting a short action lefty for myself immediately

Last edited:
Dang that is really nice! To bad I probably can't afford it, but I think is it a great design. The lug idea is quite nice, never would've thought of that. I'm a mauser fan, and this is just the ticket for a dbm rifle.

Well done!

I'm digging it. When does yours arive Bohem? :D

t

When Ted makes me a lefty... HINT HINT ;)

I've talked to him, with some family traveling into my AO we may be able to get together for a day for me to get some hands-on with both platforms at my club. I'll be sure to provide pics and feedback to both Ted and the users here when it happens.

I've always been a big fan of crf actions and this one sure does open a lot of options with the 700 footprint.

When Ted makes me a lefty... HINT HINT ;)

I've talked to him, with some family traveling into my AO we may be able to get together for a day for me to get some hands-on with both platforms at my club. I'll be sure to provide pics and feedback to both Ted and the users here when it happens.

I hear you brother, I'm a south paw myself so... x2 on the HINT HINT :D

Looking forward to your range report.

t

If this action had threading for a savage barrel, it would be the greatest action ever devised and you could have named it Mausingfieldage. However, it is still an awesome design, I would love to have one. (or three)

I'm worried the scope rail may come off since there's only 5 bolts holding it on there :) Really though, looks pretty cool.

Ted you are a lyrical wordsmith! Haha cant wait to see one of these in person, I expected nothing less than genius design from you man, finally someone thinking outside the Remington (yet keeping the best part of it, accessory compatibility).

My favorite part of the M2 video is that you know the center of mass in relation to the bore centerline of the rifle with an S&B 5-25 to the thousandth of an inch.

Last edited:
In the pictures, it looks like the sear notch on the cocking piece is designed for square or 90 degree engagement instead of the ramped or angled engagement of the Remington. Am I just dreaming or will this be a production feature?

For my personal Mauser/Springfield/Winchester M70, dinosaur tastes, this is the best thing to happen to rifles in a damn long time.

Thank you.

How did I not know that American Rifle Company was in Washington? I'm happy to see good stuff being made in this state.

I was thinking about getting my first center fire bolt action. I was thinking about the FN SPR/TSR/PBR, but decided against it because it limited my stock choices. The Model 5 looks like a great idea.

Can the rifle be top fed or single fed?

Last edited:
Dang nice Ted, looking forward to running a couple of these left handed models as my match rifles......

(yet keeping the best part of it, accessory compatibility).

Hahahaha, you just made my day.

[MENTION=56960]R.O.U.S.[/MENTION] - The port you see on this action is too small and when I talked to Ted over the past couple days he's already aware of the issue and it's been updated for the production receivers. I asked him about single-feeding with it, as the Springfield and some of the Mauser have issues with it, he confirmed that it was going to be fine for running a round into the chamber that way. I was concerned with it as well since it would put a major damper on certain stages in a match.

Last edited:
I don't think a small ejection port is an issue. The Bighorn Arms TL2 is the same way, and people see that as feature because it increases the stiffness of the action for heavier barrel weights.

I don't think a small ejection port is an issue. The Bighorn Arms TL2 is the same way, and people see that as feature because it increases the stiffness of the action for heavier barrel weights.

That's true insofar as you can still easily get the cases in and out of the action without pinching fingers. Even if the case ejects there is still a point where the port can be "too small"

ETA: And I have 2 of the TL2's, they're great actions. The port on that is bigger than what you're seeing here.

Last edited:
I’ve been wondering for a while how a Remington style trigger affects a Mauser style bolt. I believe the Mauser trigger sear is 90*, and the Remington trigger sear is 45*. In benchrest literature, I’ve read that a Remington sear pushes upwards on the back of the bolt. Is that even a concern with the toroidal bolt lugs?

Woops, never mind. The answer was in the video in the original post. The lugs will always have proper contact.

Last edited:
I really want to buy one of these, but not sure why. 700(ish) clones are not my thing.

Want to build a light short action magnum hunting rifle.

If you donot like the AW mag , then maybe look at the M14 mag , thats what the old Parker Hale M85 uses , and it feeds well ( its basically a square topped reinforced Mauser 98 ) .

A brief update - Last weekend (August 23, 2014), Ted Karagias dropped by the "6.5 Guys" studio for a brief interview/visit and gave us an update and a closer look at M5 Mausenfield action which we got on video. The good news is that the M5 is now in production and available to order on the ARC website. The video is below and also posted on the 6.5 Guys YouTube channel.

S1 - 09 - A visit with American Rifle Company - YouTube

I'm looking forward to getting the first production articles in hand and my lefty action eventually. There is no small amount of thought put into them and I'm looking forward to running one hard

Have DL Sports building me a 6.5CM now using the ARC M5, PDC Chassis, 24" Bartlein, Timney CE Trigger and NF MIL-R BEAST. Can't wait to shoot this baby!

I just picked up my action today, the fit and finish is outstanding.
My build is a 6.5 Creedmoor, Huber trigger, Thunder beast suppressor, and a lot of unknowns.
I have been using TRG's for years and really didn't have any interest in coming back to the Remington platform until I saw this in person and spoke with Ted.
I'll keep you all posted when I get the new rifle up and running.
Scott

Last edited:
Scott, I can't wait to see your new rifle with the M5 action. Ed and I had a chance to spend some time with Ted at the range and put a few rounds through his 6.5 Creedmore using the M5 Mausenfield and it's a truly Impressive design and the fit and finish were top notch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see some actual photos of the action. Seems that ARC may have given us all the best features wrapped up all in one package. Thinking this would be the perfect foundation for a "do all" type rifle.

My only concern with any new action is if there is any bolt bind. There is another Co's action out there that exhibits this which I consider a huge fail on the Co's part. Scott, does the Mausingfield pass in this respect?!

I am considering the ARC as well as the Bighorn and the BAT, although this one seems the most innovative by a good margin.

Steve, the bolt binding issue was addressed in the M5.

Im looking forward to getting the actions I have on order. I've used bighorn actions almost exclusively and I plan to continue using them. The M5 is likely to put a dent in them though.