• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American sniper

Re: American sniper

Looks like it's $15 and change on Amazon, but not due in stock until 1/8 according to their web site. Someone mentioned an enhanced electronic edition with video, is that an iPad only thing or is it somehow available to troglodytes like me who still only have/use old-fashioned computers like desktops and notebooks?

Just finished it! Loved it! "1 2 3 4 I Declare a Van War" had me laughing so hard. I will read it again and again. This guy is a top notch guy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But WTF, wasn't Ventura a SEAL back in the day? Either way a good ass kicking was called for.

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

A former Navy SEAL Commander asks:
Was Jesse a SEAL or a UDT Guy?
by Bill Salisbury
San Diego Reader
December 2, 1999

Shortly after the 1998 gubernatorial elections, everywhere you looked on TV he seemed to loom from the screen: that great domed head anchored by a linebacker's neck to a professional rassler's torso. And you heard him rattle off one-liners such as, "Sure I can be a good governor for Minnesota! It's not like I'll have to transplant kidneys!"

I first saw Jesse "the Body" Ventura before the election on Comedy Central's The Daily Show. A pert young woman was interviewing him at his horse farm near Minneapolis, asking what he thought, as a former Navy SEAL, about Demi Moore's going through training in G.I. Jane.

"Demi Moore," he replied in that now-famous buzz-saw voice, "has great breasts!"

Well, I thought, Jesse certainly looks and sounds like many SEALs I'd known during my 16 years in the Teams. But I'd never known or even heard of him. Was Jesse for real or was he one of those politicians who sometimes fudge their military affiliation with elite units? I mean, maybe he'd only worked on a staff or been aboard a ship that once participated in an exercise with SEALs.

But Jesse made a comment during the interview that somewhat eased my doubts about his bona fides. "SEALs," he said, "certainly are different. We don't wear skivvies."

Only a Team guy - SEAL or UDT - and those with whom he closely associated would know this verifiable truth. Skivvies - Navy lingo for underwear - were for lesser mortals such as pencil-necked sandcrabs (civilians) or black shoes (ship drivers). Real men didn't wear skivvies. But they did wear massive Rolex diving watches with Tudor movements, just as Jesse wore during his interview.

Jesse's reference to skivvies also suggested he had pulled liberty in Olongapo, aka Po Town: the legendary city in the Philippines that had offered fleshly delights to generations of sailors who passed through the U.S. Navy base at Subic Bay until the base closed a few years ago. Frogmen from underwater demolition teams - but not SEALs - enjoyed six-month deployments to the PI during the Vietnam War and were so prized among the Po Town bargirls that the girls would sometimes "do it for love." And the girls delighted in screaming "skivvie check!," which meant every man jack and mate in the bar would have to drop his pants to verify if he was or was not of UDT. The girls would often follow their skivvie checks with cries of "big watch, little dick, bumfuck UDT!"

The bargirls had no similar slogan for SEALs, who were rarely seen in Olongapo during the war. SEALs from Team One on the Strand and Team Two in Little Creek, Virginia, deployed to detachments (dets) in Vietnam: SEAL Team Two Det Alfa in Binh Thuy (terrorizing the VC and luckless peasants in the delta); SEAL Det Bravo in various places (doing dirty deeds for the CIA); SEAL Team One Det Da Nang (running mercs up north in Nastys); and SEAL Team One Det Golf in Nha Be (helping keep the Long Tau shipping channel more or less open from the South China Sea to Saigon).

I had firsthand knowledge of all these dets, some of which would periodically shift locations, but I was especially familiar with SEAL Team One Det Golf, where I served as officer-in-charge of three SEAL platoons for much of 1967. I also knew a lot about Det Alfa from SEAL Team Two, because I was the executive officer of that Team in 1970. Both SEAL Teams were awarded coveted Presidential Unit Citations. UDTs received none.

I didn't know much about UDTs 11 and 12 then, even though they were homeported on the Strand like SEAL Team One. The UDTs rotated their platoons through a headquarters in Subic Bay, where many of the frogmen relived high school glory days playing football on base and freeballing it through Po Town on liberty. The frogmen in Subic never once lost a sleepless second to the fear of mortar rounds in the perimeter or Charlie on the wire. So was Jesse a SEAL or merely a frogman, that is, a member of an underwater demolition team?

In search of an answer from the horse's mouth, I read Jesse's blockbuster autobiography, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed. The chapter on his Navy career from 1970 until 1974 is entitled: "Navy seals." References to SEALs saturate the 26-page chapter. Here's a sampling:

"[M]y brother, Jan,had joined the Navy SEALs a few years earlier." (p. 60)

"When [Navy recruiters] found out [I was] interested in joining the SEALs, they zeroed in: 'Don't you want to be part of the most elite? The best of the best?' " (p. 62)

"One day [in boot camp] we attended a presentation by the Navy seal they showed us a film called The Men with Green Faces. In Vietnam, the SEALs were known as the Greenfaces, because they wore camouflage green and black." (p. 64)

Jesse took a screening test at boot camp to qualify for what is called Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training conducted at the Amphib Base. Those who completed BUD/S, when Jesse was in training, were sent to either a SEAL or an underwater demolition team. Graduation did not, however, authorize the trainee to call himself a SEAL or a UDT frogman. He had to first successfully complete a six-month probationary period in the Teams.

NEXT: What's the difference between SEAL and UDTs?

Page 1 2 3 4 Printer-friendly version

Click here to jump to the Cursor.org homepage.

Contact Cursor editor for more information on this story.
http://cursor.org/stories/seal_or_udt.htm

and a TIME interview:
http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,1368006921001_2103830,00.html

About 40% thru the book on my Kindle and I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I wholeheartedly suggest picking it up.

There is a nod to GAP (and George by name) in the book.
I thought that was pretty cool.

I can't afford a GAP yet, but one day I will. I honestly had never heard of GAP until joining this forum, but GAP just got a HUGE endorsement on a national (non Sniper's Hide) stage. That's just really great publicity for them.

I bought this for my Nook app on my IPad2, but can't download it. Has anyone else had this issue?

Went to the city today and Target was out. Across the street at Barnes and Noble I was told they had 20 copies on backorder but the first printing was sold out.

I hope B&N is correct and that Chief Kyle is making a lick.

I'm about 2/3s through the book, great read, dispells a lot of internet myths.

Finished it: Well worth the read, also I'm glad I got the hard copy, its gonna fit good in my library.

Anyone here taken classes from Chris? I know he has a company called The Craft here in DFW and they regularly hold precision rifle courses (and do a whole lot of other interesting things).

Parker

Obviously enough can't be said about those serving in the military, a classic example of those individuals is Chris Kyle.

Enough also can't be said of Chief Kyle (and his wife) for taking the time to share what they have.

Overall the book was a great read. Going through it in detail, I found some interesting stuff:

Pg 100 Mk-12, "... the US Navy Mk-12 Special Purpose Rifle, this gun has a sixteen-inch barrel ..." . Most everything I have ever seen on a Mk-12 has it built as a rifle with an 18" barrel. I have heard some lengthy debates about all of the changes that the rifle went through in the development process and how the finished product was not what it was supposed to be. Not sure if Chief Kyle actually had a 16" version or if it is just a typo?

Pg 100 Mk-12, "... I took the lower receiver off my M-4 and put it on the upper receiver on my Mk-12 ..." . Makes sense as he points out this gave him a collapsing stock and full auto capability. What I wondered, is how did this shake out for a trigger? Not sure if his Mk-12 would have had a 2 stage / match trigger, and the M-4 would have had a standard single stage? Not sure if Operators like Chief Kyle would even care?

Pg 101 Mk-11, "... the Mk-11 had a bad reputation in the field because it would often jam ..." "... We eventually figured out that something to do with the dust cover on the rifle was causing a double feed ..." . I followed the trials & tribulations of the Mk-11/SR-25/M-110, and there were many reports of problems, but this was the first I heard of a Dust Cover - Double Feed issue?

Pg 104 Scopes, "... Overseas I used a 32-power scope ..." Found this very interesting because I always hear about how 10x is all that you need anything above that is a waste. IMHO the trend seems to be that the military is actually requesting and using higher power scopes.

Some of the "technical tidbits" I caught, still going back and looking for more.

Anyone else have anything you picked up on?

Thanks again to Chief Kyle.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Pg 100 Mk-12, "... the US Navy Mk-12 Special Purpose Rifle, this gun has a sixteen-inch barrel ..." . Most everything I have ever seen on a Mk-12 has it built as a rifle with an 18" barrel. I have heard some lengthy debates about all of the changes that the rifle went through in the development process and how the finished product was not what it was supposed to be. Not sure if Chief Kyle actually had a 16" version or if it is just a typo?

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

He is probably talking about the Mk12ModX also known as the Navy Recon Rifle. It is a hybrid... Kind of a full on Mk12 mating with an M4. It has a 16inch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought this for my Nook app on my IPad2, but can't download it. Has anyone else had this issue? </div></div>

I bought @ app store for my ip2, loaded no problem and I don't know squat about these things.

Got the book on my iPad2 with no issues.

I have to say that its been an enjoyable read so far. Very well written and Chris comes off as a super humble guy.

Never admits to being the best at anything or better than anyone. Yet clearly he was.

I am about half way through the book, so far I am really enjoying it. Chris comes across as a real humble , tell it like it is kind of guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought this for my Nook app on my IPad2, but can't download it. Has anyone else had this issue?</div></div>
I didn't have that issue - can you try getting it for the Kindle app? If so, you will not be disappointed. I can't '+1' enough of the comments on here - the book comes very highly recommended. It's like 'Lone Survivor II'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to it. Hoping an audiobook is out soon. </div></div>

The audio version is already out. Downloaded it last week and am about 5 minutes from finishing it. The reader took a while to get used to, as his country accent sounded a bit fake at first, but I got used to it.

After having read "Seal Team 6" and " Lone Survivor" I was wondering what this book would bring to the table. I enjoyed his wife's perspective and his experiences were certainly different than that of the other books. Certainly worth a read. I'm going to have to check out a physical copy of the book to see if there are any pictures I'm missing out on.

Bought it yesterday on my iPhone. Just finished it. Been reading it during slow times at work. Great read!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jollyrancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also for all of you " Night Force is the eyes of god" people out there, That's a good ole Leupold MK4 he made that 2,100 yard shot with. I don't wanna start any scope wars, just saying " Leupy still has her moments" </div></div>
+1

I must be different. I wasn't impressed that much with Trigger Men. It was good ok but nothing compaired to American Sniper.

I guess I was more into the personal side of the book. The feelings and thoughs of him and his wife, during and after deployment.

I know its been a long time since I came back from Vietnam, but I swear Kyle has been reading my mail.

Don't know how to explain it.

This book more then the others brought back memories.

As to weapons, I'm the sort that believes its the man that makes the rifle, not the rifle that makes the man. Like Carlos Hathcock I believe Kyle would have been pretty much just effective with a M1C or M21.

To those who got the electrionic version, I'd highly recommend getting the hard copy, then when it warms up, go to the mountains or praire, find some shade, build a fire, put on a pot of coffee and read it again.

I've found I can concentrate better that way, getting more out of a good book.

What I did pick up about the weapons was the M4, he seemed to like it, which dispells a lot of internet myths about it being a piece of shit.

In the book he says even with a 25 power scope he couldnt make out the target so that would mean he made the shot with the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25.

You are correct he made the shot with the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25
Page 348 under EXTRACTED at the bottom of the page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone here taken classes from Chris? I know he has a company called The Craft here in DFW and they regularly hold precision rifle courses (and do a whole lot of other interesting things).

Parker </div></div>

I've taken numerous courses with him and Mark as well as acted as there shadow for others. They are great courses and great instructors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the book he says even with a 25 power scope he couldnt make out the target so that would mean he made the shot with the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25. </div></div>

I don't want to say that isn't possible, but where was the 2100 yard shot made with the Leupold MK 4? I ask because his elevevation above sea level would obviously dictate how much the bullet dropped and it would be pretty hard to have the required comeups for a shot that long.

I know with a MK 4 on my 338 Edge, at 2000 yards, with a 20 MOA base I was still out of elevation on my turret and holding appx. 1.5 mils high to hit. That was at 2300 feet above sea level, so if he was in Afganistan he easily could have been much higher than that.

It would be much more likely that he was using a NF, or another optic with more comeups. It's why I switched to a SWFA 5-20 HD for the 338. Haven't read the book, just real world experience.

Well he says in the book it was a 25X scope and no nightforce is 25X. Someone else said he switched out the leupold and put a nightforce on it but that isnt mentioned in the book, although it is mentioned that as a Navy SEAL he uses Nightforce scopes and has a 32 power one but i think that one is on the 300 win mag. Here is what is writen under the picture of the McMillan tac 338 with the Leupold Mark 4 in the book.

"A close up of my Lapua .338, the gun i made my longest kill with. You can see my "dope" card-the placard on the side contains the comeups ( adjustments )needed for long range targets. My 2100 yard shot exceeded the cards range, and i had to eye ball it".

I agree with you about nightforce being more logical in ELR shooting, I sold my Mark 4 and now have a Nightforce, But im just going off the evidence in the book. The shot was taken in IRAQ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the book he says even with a 25 power scope he couldnt make out the target so that would mean he made the shot with the Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25. </div></div>

I don't want to say that isn't possible, but where was the 2100 yard shot made with the Leupold MK 4? I ask because his elevevation above sea level would obviously dictate how much the bullet dropped and it would be pretty hard to have the required comeups for a shot that long.

I know with a MK 4 on my 338 Edge, at 2000 yards, with a 20 MOA base I was still out of elevation on my turret and holding appx. 1.5 mils high to hit. That was at 2300 feet above sea level, so if he was in Afganistan he easily could have been much higher than that.

It would be much more likely that he was using a NF, or another optic with more comeups. It's why I switched to a SWFA 5-20 HD for the 338. Haven't read the book, just real world experience. </div></div>

Correct. It was the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm with Mil-Dot reticle. He swapped it out in-coutry as he preferred it and it was already in use on the other Navy guns. Familiarity and spare NF scopes has it's advantages too. FYI - He also used factory Black Hills 300gr ammo.

He says specificaly 25X. Do you have any evidence it was a NF? From what i see in the pictures on the first page of him posing with the gun he used to make the 2100 yard shot is that he is using a craft int hat and he didnt start that untill he was done in the military. So did he swap the nighforce just for the pictures?

I'm not sure I'd put too much thought into the technical accuracy of the book. I mean...these were largely classified ops and he stated from the beginning that some things may have been "censored". For all we know "that shot" went down quite a bit differently than portrayed. Hell I've been out for 12 years now and I still take my clearance very seriously. From the sound of things he likely does too and in that regard we'll never really know.

That's a very good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: northern shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He says specificaly 25X. Do you have any evidence it was a NF? From what i see in the pictures on the first page of him posing with the gun he used to make the 2100 yard shot is that he is using a craft int hat and he didnt start that untill he was done in the military. So did he swap the nighforce just for the pictures? </div></div>

The NF scope belonged to the Navy so it had to be returned. The rifle and the original scope, however, were lent to him and did not belong to the Navy. He just put the originally supplied scope on it for the photo op.

Thanks for the Explanation, its always good to get some facts straightened out.

I finally got the audiobook version and listened to it. Enjoyed the hell out of it. I liked the book enough that it motivated Me to start looking for a new rifle, even though I can't really afford one. I'll buy it one piece at a time I guess.

Some more pics of his Tac-338A:

CKyleTac3382.jpg

CKyleTac3383.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">video link no workie....
frown.gif
</div></div>

Ugh! I guess there was a Youtube/TeamCoco copyright claim.

Try this one:

http://teamcoco.com/video/chris-kyle-sniper </div></div>

G.A. Precision hat on national TV. AWESOME!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some more pics of his Tac-338A:

CKyleTac3382.jpg

CKyleTac3383.jpg
</div></div>

for a rifle like that what in the world is the extra rail on the sides and under and in front of the scope for??

The longer top Picatinny rail is so you can put the AN/PVS-22 night vision in front of your scope. The side rails are used to install accessories like an AN/PEQ-2 or the newer AN/PEQ-15 Infra-Red laser designators used with night vision.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxovnKY9w_8&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxovnKY9w_8&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

mmcs2p.jpg

Note the tan box (PEQ-15) on the forend of the SCAR rifle.