• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Americas cup yachts

Re: Americas cup yachts

I love and grew up sailing and have even crewed for a AC skipper.

But the day these boat were no longer monohulls the sport died to me. Yea, I get it, the 12m was never an efficient design but it was sailing.

Bring back the gaff-rigged cutters I say.

AC yachts died the day it was decided that they didn't have to sail to the race venue on their own hulls!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you guys but hell this is an awesome machine 40 plus mile per hour Im told</div></div>

I dig the engineering and technology involved, but the thought of it being part of the AC makes me nauseous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. . . But the day these boat were no longer monohulls the sport died to me. Yea, I get it, the 12m was never an efficient design but it was sailing. . .</div></div>
Mike, I agree here - bring back the monohull. I was recently watching a preliminary elimination featuring the cats and shook my head in disgust remembering "the old days". The cats are faster and I guess makes for "better TV". BTW, I used to race a J-30 (and others), and had an opportunity to sail on "Logica", a 2000-2001 BT Global Challenge yacht while they had a layover in Boston before heading south.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LngRngShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-Class,... RAINBOW was just finished and 4 more slated to be built

http://www.jclassyachts.com/

Greyhounds all of them, go racing..

John</div></div>
John, Great site! Around 1990, I had the opportunity to see Endeavour "up close and personal" while she was tied stern to in Gustavia, Saint Barthélemy (St. Barts). Have photos around somewhere. Earlier in the day we saw her at sail. We were sailing SSW from Tintamarre to Barts while Endeavour was south of us beating toward Gustavia - beautiful boat at sail or tied up. We didn't it was her until we went ashore for customs. It was cool that I had just read an article about her restoration.

Bottom line, I guess technology prevails. I remember when the "revolutionary" winged keel hit the AC. Within a year, high performance cruising boats had them.

Kevin

Technology and innovation...great for the sport
Why Kevlar Wing sails and not old canvas....progress is painful...commercial spinoffs from this experimental technology can have great potential benefits