• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

America's Most Isolated Family

G

In 1980, Jimmy Carter established the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in the Alaskan Interior, cutting off 19 million acres of prime boreal wilderness from the mitts of fur trappers, oil tycoons, and would-be lodge owners alike. Only six families of white settlers were grandfathered in and allowed to keep cabins in the refuge—of them, only one still stays there year-round living off the land. His name is Heimo Korth, and he is basically the Omega Man of America’s Final Frontier.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WIzrw0jsAJw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WIzrw0jsAJw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: America's Most Isolated Family

You find some of the most interesting clips, tucker. That was a really interesting program.

I took the time to watch the entire thing. Glad I did.

It really puts things in perspective. He's right, civilization is a cancer. It allows us to be distracted from what's really important and does nothing for our physical or mental health. I liked that he built upon those points with the fact that people still need people.

Refreshing. Thanks, Tucker.

Interesting.

I disagree with how he handles the bears - there areother ways but that's just me - if you kill every human that came around, or every bear what's that do for ya?

Now if you eat the meat that's a different story, he would not have the bear problem if he handled that differently.
But that's just me.

But overall that's pretty awesome, pretty awesome. I have a certain longing to go back and do it again, I'm sure the former inlaws would not mind me building a cabin in Venatai or some such place (They all rec'd 60 acres from the state)

It's a beautiful place and absolutely NO drilling should go up there, because wherever mankind goes, he screws it up.

But you gotta have a lot of energy for it, a love for it, and not mind the cold either LOL - there is a certain dependence on mankind - noticed he had mickey mouse boots on instead of traditional muckaluks..

Couple of pics from my trips up north:

scenery.jpg

aurora2.jpg

Well worth the time to watch it. I couldn't live THAT isolated for my whole life. A couple weeks of it would be refreshing though.