• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes AMG glass vs the Razor Gen 2 glass

ArmyJerry

fukallyall
Banned !
Nov 22, 2012
Kicking Ass Somewhere
Does anyone have eyes on experience between both. I own a bunch of PST's and am looking to help my old eyes compete a little longer so am looking to move up a class in glass but dont really want to spend more than $2,400. Looking for a experienced compare and advice, thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: ken226
I own both, I've had the gen 2 4.5-27 mrad ebr2 for awhile... the AMG I've had since September. The glass in my opinion are the same in regards to clarity, color, brightness, very little yellowing. Zoomed all the way in both hold their own in regards to maintaining clarity and shadowing. There is some slight shadowing in both very very very slight that can almost be eliminated with eye relief adjustment. I personally prefer the EBR-2 reticle b/c it has an open center, and like dots instead of hashes for 0.2 mil marks. Its probably b/c I have competed with the EBR-2 though and have little time with the EBR-7 reticle.

In regards to eye box and rapidly acquiring sight picture, they both have large eye boxes.
They are essentially the same in my opinion except for the reticle and weight. If weight savings is a big issue for you b/c you have to haul your rifle around over miles of terrain then look at the AMG. Just an FYI the AMG is still 4-6 months out at many retailers. I know b/c I called cameralandny whom gets these scopes in probably faster than most and that's their last estimate 2 weeks ago.

If you post a WTB ad on this site you might get lucky there was someone selling an AMG in mrad recently.

Others may have a different opinion than me on glass vs glass.

Moving up from a PST you will be looking at a HUGE improvement in the glass department, and every other aspect of the scope as well. As was already mentioned, the glass in these two is very similar. Both are fantastic! I've had a really hard time trying to decide if one these scopes has an optical advantage over the other. In this price range I don't think people should really get hung up on the glass discussions, pick the reticles and ergonomics that are important to you instead. Understandably, many people want a comparison between the AMG and the G2. I was one of them a few months ago, and I'm sure many more will have this same question in the future. My experience/advice regarding these two scopes:

1. Does weight matter to you? i.e., Will you be backpacking/hunting with it? AMG would be best suited for trekking
2. Pick your favorite reticle: EBR-1c, EBR-2c, or EBR-7 I personally think the EBR-7 is THE PERFECT reticle for fine wind holds, moving targets, and PRS matches
3. Are you one of those people who gets all worried about scope color? I personally really like the G2 color, but if you need to color match everything the black AMG might be best for you.

Love the Gen2 ,I have had it for a year.It is nice to hear they are about equal in glass and eye box.My next build will be lite weight and the AMG is sounding good. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: TCG76
thanks for the info gents, I thought the AMG were out for sale already. Guess I will have to start my search now.
They are for sale already, I bought a couple of them in the last three months w/o waiting time, MOA though. The last one from sportoptics.com, one of our sponsors.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I actually just traded a guy my Gen2 for his AMG. The glass I would say in identical. The AMG might not be quite as bright at max power as the Gen2 but it's not dark by any stretch. I like the ebr7 over the 2. The closed center shoots better for me than the open.

Now, I was out shooting groups for load testing this last weekend at 200 yards. 5 different rifles. AMG, NXS, and PST scopes. The mirage was very heavy! For whatever reason, the old NXS scopes were giving me a much better image of the target. It was about mid day and sunny. I turned down the AMG to 22x to match 2 of the NXS and the nightforce was better these were 50mm objectives. The 56 wasn't any better though. The 12-42NXS I turned down until I got a clear image of the target; it ended up being damn close to 22x also. The PST was the worst of them all.

I wished I would have had a ATACR F1 with me to check in those conditions, but sadly I didn't. I'm not saying the AMG is a bad scope at all. Just giving a direct comparison in the same conditions from an unbiased person.

I own both and they are my primary scopes on my two primary rifles (diff calibers). I often shoot them back to back (waiting for barrels to cool). Please note that these are only representative of one example of each.

If you're nitpicking and look closely at distance (anywhere past 600), the AMG is noticeably better in the resolution department.

The g2r is noticeably better than the AMG in terms of eyebox size/ease of getting a clean sight picture IMO. You'll get it as normally as you would any other scope on the AMG (good actually), but the g2r is practically a heads up display for the magnification you're getting. Helps during positional shooting.

With the difference in objective size (25% more glass on the g2r), the brightness is not as pronounced as you might think, that is one area Vortex really did some magic with the AMG (though Kahles 624i is brighter IME, while the AMG resolves slightly better).

I think the FOV is slightly larger with the g2r, but only slightly. I recall doing the math in another thread and they were almost identical. Maybe the magnification markings on my scopes are off, but at the same mag the g2r FOV looks slightly wider... barely worth mentioning.

The reticles are both very good. The AMG reticle is designed for PRS competition IMO (ie. movers), with the center floating crosshairs a nod to hunting usage. If you require .2 spacing, it's your reticle. If you like an open center and prefer a very usable but cleaner reticle, the g2r reticle is your reticle. They're both very good and it's just personal preference. I prefer the cleaner g2r EBR-2C myself.

For the greater eyebox flexibility (which I value highly on my list of priorities) & reticle, I prefer the g2r overall between the two even though the AMG resolves better.

If weight is an issue, consider the AMG or Kahles 624i. If not, the g2r is an amazing optic in its price point and would be my recommendation over the AMG for general shooting. g2r also has greater elevation if you shoot ELR.

Compared them again side by side. g2r has more color pop, AMG has better resolution

Last edited:
I actually just traded a guy my Gen2 for his AMG. The glass I would say in identical. The AMG might not be quite as bright at max power as the Gen2 but it's not dark by any stretch. I like the ebr7 over the 2. The closed center shoots better for me than the open.

Now, I was out shooting groups for load testing this last weekend at 200 yards. 5 different rifles. AMG, NXS, and PST scopes. The mirage was very heavy! For whatever reason, the old NXS scopes were giving me a much better image of the target. It was about mid day and sunny. I turned down the AMG to 22x to match 2 of the NXS and the nightforce was better these were 50mm objectives. The 56 wasn't any better though. The 12-42NXS I turned down until I got a clear image of the target; it ended up being damn close to 22x also. The PST was the worst of them all.

I wished I would have had a ATACR F1 with me to check in those conditions, but sadly I didn't. I'm not saying the AMG is a bad scope at all. Just giving a direct comparison in the same conditions from an unbiased person.

The NXS scopes have good optics but lack contrast compared to some other scopes. It may be that this characteristic makes the mirage less prominent. That can come in handy...

I was a bit surprised to say the least. I kept checking to see if I had the AMG set up correctly. I did.

One thing I noticed about my AMG was the picture might be clear so you assume the parallax is dialed out of it but not so. The forum owner mentioned this himself, the scope is really friendly as far as moving from 100- 300 yards where the picture is still clear which I always kinda assume the parallax is gone. I can see why this is a great scope but the one thing I am starting to really pay attention to when I am moving from one target to another. I am using it right now with a PVS30 and really happy with the scope, no shift in impact with the NVG hanging off the front of my rifle.