• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo for AR-10 in .308

bolt56

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
West Tn.
Had a new barrel put on my AR-10. Rock Creek with 11.25 twist, 18" long, chambered for M118 175 ammo. Can't seem to get a handle on handload for it. Appreciate any advice & OAL of M118 ammo. Thanks

Re: Ammo for AR-10 in .308

M118LR is basically just 175gr SMK bullets loaded to about 2550 fps (out of a 20" barrel). Now you may hear different FPS for M118LR, but we chron'd a batch about 2 years ago and this is what we got. Use 2.80" for your OAL.

I have a standard chamber and usually go with 2.800 as well for a "typical" load, that way I can load them in any of my rifles.

What problems are you running into?

Just haven't found a very accurate load with RL15 & 175 SMKs.

Oh and BTW, the powder looks like RL15 from what I hear. I can't tell you the charge for RL15, but for Varget, to get 2550 FPS out of a 20" barrel, you will need about 42.5 gr.

Sorry to jump in your thread, but I have a GAP10 20" bartlein barrel with same twist and have a ton of 168 amax's. What loads do you guys use with Varget and RL15? Two powders that I use as well. I've got a few loaded up, just need to hit the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to jump in your thread, but I have a GAP10 20" bartlein barrel with same twist and have a ton of 168 amax's. What loads do you guys use with Varget and RL15? Two powders that I use as well. I've got a few loaded up, just need to hit the range.

</div></div>

Depends on your brass. I've loaded 178 amax with 44gr of Varget for my 18" N6 in Hornady match brass. With 168's I'd likely start at 44 and work up from there in commercial brass.

For Lapua or military brass you should certainly start at about 42 and work up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to jump in your thread, but I have a GAP10 20" bartlein barrel with same twist and have a ton of 168 amax's. What loads do you guys use with Varget and RL15? Two powders that I use as well. I've got a few loaded up, just need to hit the range.

</div></div>

42.5gr of RL15 works well with my 18.5" barrel

LC brass, Fed match primers, 175 g SMK, 43.1 grains of RL15 loaded to 2.81 is a duplicate of M118LR. The RL15 in M118LR has a flash suppressant otherwise it is a duplicate. It shoots around 1/2 moa in my LMT MWS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to jump in your thread, but I have a GAP10 20" bartlein barrel with same twist and have a ton of 168 amax's. What loads do you guys use with Varget and RL15? Two powders that I use as well. I've got a few loaded up, just need to hit the range.

</div></div>

Depends on your brass. I've loaded 178 amax with 44gr of Varget for my 18" N6 in Hornady match brass. With 168's I'd likely start at 44 and work up from there in commercial brass.

For Lapua or military brass you should certainly start at about 42 and work up. </div></div>

Thanks for your replies. I've got a TON of once-fired Federal Match Brass with the "FC ?" stamped on the bottom. I've heard it's pretty soft brass.

The other brass I have a lot of is the WCC 08 stamped brass that had the crimped primers.