• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Inventory software update and ??s

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys I've had a little time to work on the ammo inventory software someone was asking about/for a week or so ago and this is what I have so far but before I send out a few beta copies for testing I wanted to see what else people would like to see in such software before I spend anymore time on it or see if anyone is even interested anymore. This version has a few more hours of work left moving stuff into various classes and a little error handling but everything works and is pretty much ready to go as is (at least as a beta version).

2nge8t2.jpg

35lu9t4.jpg

Re: Ammo Inventory software update and ??s

I'd love to have a copy.. I already use a few apps for the iPad so would have some comparison data for you.

thanks
Gary

Same here. I'd love to beta test the software for you if you are willing to provide a copy to me. This program would save me a lot of headaches with keeping inventory. Thank you for your work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't mind a copy of it also. When it is talking about the bullet does that mean the bullet specifically or is that supposed to be a loaded round?

Walter </div></div>

Well my thinking was this version was going to be for loaded (finished) bullet inventory as that's what somebody a week or so ago was looking for but I can make changes to this one pretty easily and my thinking was to expand it to into a reloading database. So it would keep track or your loaded rounds as well as your reloading components and the load data associated with it. Really this is at it's infancy so I'm looking for feedback and ideas as well as a few people to run it though its paces and report any bugs and the like. It's not a big program yet but with the addition of a reloading database it would get pretty big and that's when I'd expect to see a few bugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotcha that is what I was thinking, just wanted to clarify that.
I do not keep too much ammo on hand but I wouldn't mind testing it out.

Walter </div></div>

10-4. My primary goal is to make it a reloading program as that's of far more use to myself than a simple inventory program. So we'll touch base on that as this progresses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GarySpradley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to have a copy.. I already use a few apps for the iPad so would have some comparison data for you.

thanks
Gary </div></div>

That would be awesome! I'll shoot you a PM with details when I get closer to a full beta version for you to download.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zepheris.hk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same here. I'd love to beta test the software for you if you are willing to provide a copy to me. This program would save me a lot of headaches with keeping inventory. Thank you for your work! </div></div>

10-4 let me know if you think of anything you'd like to see added and I'll get it in before I shoot you off a beta copy or I'll get it in the next version which will be along pretty shortly (already have a lot of the code written for the reloading side).

Never gave it much thought, as I tend not to accrue large quantities of ammo on hand, or to pay much attention to specific costs. But I can see how others might, and what I see here looks pretty valid.

BTW, the title font makes the header appear to me to read "Ammo Tax". Old eyes; disregard me...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never gave it much thought, as I tend not to accrue large quantities of ammo on hand, or to pay much attention to specific costs. But I can see how others might, and what I see here looks pretty valid.

BTW, the title font makes the header appear to me to read "Ammo Tax". Old eyes; disregard me...

Greg </div></div>

LOL, didn't even catch that. Well at the going rate we may all need an program to calculate our ammo tax. I'll change all of that before I roll it out. I'm not even sure if people are interested in keeping tabs on the cost. I just threw the whole cost part in because it was already in the code I had for another inventory program I wrote. If nobody cares about the cost I can take that part out??? but I was going to include some form of it in the reloading portion of the program because I like to see the aggregate costs of things.

This is looking pretty promising! I'd definitely be interested in working with this once the reloading component section is incorporated. I find that tracking reloading components is more problematic for me than tracking loaded ammo but I do keep track of both. I do like the idea of including a cost listing as well. I don't think the RC section would need to be terribly complicated but should allow you to include info on batch #'s of products such as powders and bullets. Might want to allow an additional data field for loaded ammo for notation of seating depths or D.O.M. for a batch etc.. I'll take a look through my records and see just what all I have recorded and let ya know if anything stands out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> batch #'s of products such as powders and bullets.

I'll take a look through my records and see just what all I have recorded and let ya know if anything stands out. </div></div>

Good idea on batch/lot numbers, I didn't even think of that one.

Please do, look for anything else you might want. Thanks

This is looking good. I might have missed it, but a field for source (vendor) is one I use in my current Palm ThinkDB.

That sounds like a winner. Where do I sign up for tghe beta? Oh, right here! Well look at that, who'd a thunk it?

Lol, seriously I'd like to try this out and give you some feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbqncigars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is looking good. I might have missed it, but a field for source (vendor) is one I use in my current Palm ThinkDB. </div></div>

Like Cabelas or Midway or the like? That's a good idea. I'll add something like that in this version or the next one if it doesn't make the user interface too cluttered or I'll throw it onto a new tab or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolfish365</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like a winner. Where do I sign up for tghe beta? Oh, right here! Well look at that, who'd a thunk it?

Lol, seriously I'd like to try this out and give you some feedback. </div></div>

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a PM when I get ready to roll it out.

I'd be interested in doing some beta testing as well, let me know what I need to do to get on the list, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CEGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be interested in doing some beta testing as well, let me know what I need to do to get on the list, thanks! </div></div>

Will do.

This looks very promising, I would be in for some beta testing. If there is still room for another tester please add me to the list,

I record batch/lot#s of components along with OAL measurement for all of my loaded rounds, # of firings on the brass and I notate which specific firearm they are built for. Could possibly use folder names for the guns and perhaps a MISC. field in the loaded ammuntion section to allow for OAL notation or whatever someone else might want to track. No need to get too complicated as it's intended as an inventory program, but a few perks over the norm will be nice. If there's anything other input you'd like, drop me a line. Definitely drop me a line when you have an update though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I record batch/lot#s of components along with OAL measurement for all of my loaded rounds, # of firings on the brass and I notate which specific firearm they are built for. Could possibly use folder names for the guns and perhaps a MISC. field in the loaded ammuntion section to allow for OAL notation or whatever someone else might want to track. No need to get too complicated as it's intended as an inventory program, but a few perks over the norm will be nice. If there's anything other input you'd like, drop me a line. Definitely drop me a line when you have an update though! </div></div>

10-4, good info thanks. As you mentioned it's currently an inventory program but I intend to finish adding additional features such as keeping track of all of your load data as well as your reloading components. My thinking was to make it so that you select a previously inputted bullet from a list and the program then gives you all the details on the load and on a separate tab would be all the inventory and details of your unloaded components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timesublime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks very promising, I would be in for some beta testing. If there is still room for another tester please add me to the list, </div></div>

Will do. Thanks!

High Binder,

Unfortunately, there are some of us out there/here who have "short-term-memory issues". An example of that problem is that I for one, learned how to reload about 34 years ago. As such, while I don't know everything about reloading, I do have the 'general intent' down pat. BUT since the accident, and my newfound/newlost memory game, I can't remember if I reloaded yesterday, let alone what I reloaded and what-all I did while doing so.

Which ends up with me 'going over everything' for about 20 or so minutes, so that I can continue from where I left off, to finish the task. Hence why I can't live now, without little 'post-it notes' everywhere, and whatnot.

To make a short story very long, right now I think something like what you are doing is fantastic. Now, whether there's anything out there like this or not, I've no idea. But for what you're doing, if it works on a standard PC tower, I'd be interested in it. Or at the very least, trying it out.

Bear with my lack of 'technical terminology', but I'm thinking that having a "drop-down" menu for a total list of whatever information category columns, would be the best way to go. This way, each individual end user can tailor the program to whichever fits their needs.

Some will want "supplier, charge weight, powder type, primer brand, bullet cost, Over-all-length, and/or whatever", and others won't. Just by checking or unchecking boxes in the drop-down menu. If you want to have 'running totals' of these columns at the bottom, then that's another possibility too.

What do you think your 'end result' will cost? I don't know how many 'beta testers' your wanting, but I for one would be interested is something like this. The more 'detailed' and precise, the better. As I said, one could 'uncheck' the box if they feel they don't want that column or category. But for those who do..... have it in there.

I'll shut up now, as I'm sure others will weigh-in on this, too.

Merry Christmas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High Binder,

Unfortunately, there are some of us out there/here who have "short-term-memory issues". An example of that problem is that I for one, learned how to reload about 34 years ago. As such, while I don't know everything about reloading, I do have the 'general intent' down pat. BUT since the accident, and my newfound/newlost memory game, I can't remember if I reloaded yesterday, let alone what I reloaded and what-all I did while doing so.

Which ends up with me 'going over everything' for about 20 or so minutes, so that I can continue from where I left off, to finish the task. Hence why I can't live now, without little 'post-it notes' everywhere, and whatnot.

To make a short story very long, right now I think something like what you are doing is fantastic. Now, whether there's anything out there like this or not, I've no idea. But for what you're doing, if it works on a standard PC tower, I'd be interested in it. Or at the very least, trying it out.

Bear with my lack of 'technical terminology', but I'm thinking that having a "drop-down" menu for a total list of whatever information category columns, would be the best way to go. This way, each individual end user can tailor the program to whichever fits their needs.

Some will want "supplier, charge weight, powder type, primer brand, bullet cost, Over-all-length, and/or whatever", and others won't. Just by checking or unchecking boxes in the drop-down menu. If you want to have 'running totals' of these columns at the bottom, then that's another possibility too.

What do you think your 'end result' will cost? I don't know how many 'beta testers' your wanting, but I for one would be interested is something like this. The more 'detailed' and precise, the better. As I said, one could 'uncheck' the box if they feel they don't want that column or category. But for those who do..... have it in there.

I'll shut up now, as I'm sure others will weigh-in on this, too.

Merry Christmas!
</div></div>

Sean, I'll send you a beta copy for sure so no worries there. I read your post a few times and I want to make sure we're thinking along the same lines. My take on what you're looking for is a program where you can enable/disable certain features according to what you like/dislike, is that more or less what you're getting at? The way I have it designed right now would already sort of work that way but you'd see an empty field where you didn't add any info instead of just not seeing the field at all (see below) and all of the reloading stuff would be on it's own tab whereas the finished inventory is on another and so on so it's pretty well segregated by activity. As it's designed right now when you select a bullet from the list-boxes or from the drop-downs the info associated with that item is automatically brought up and made readable or editable but if you leave out a piece of info about a specific bullet or whatever, it still works but just shows up as being blank until you add some info to it. Does that sound like what you're looking for? If not let me know 'cus I'd like to make it work in a way that makes sense for you.

34njhvo.jpg

If there is still slots available, I would love to beta test for you as well.

If there is still slots available, I would love to beta test for you as well.

Hello,

Is this Reloader's Invetory program still being developed?

I woud love to take a peek at it.

I, too, am looking for a database for keeping inventory tracking, etc.

Thanks,

Dan

Guys, I'm getting a ton of PMs about this so let me just give you guys an update. Right off this thread is VERY old and the program you see above is a Windows (.net) based program that I stopped working on but is for all practical purposes finished. I got a lot of interest in this program so I decided to scrap the windows only .net format and do it instead in Java/Python so it would run on any platform. I'm still working on it and brought in a friend to help but I'm also finishing up another Masters degree so time is a little lacking.

As an update, I'm thinking about making it so that you can store your data in the cloud and access it from your PC/Tablet/mobile device but there is a lot involved with doing so, so...

Call me paranoid, but I wouldnt want to put my inventory up on the Cloud....

You can save it on your local machine too and skip the cloud part all together. A lot of people want the ability to remotely check what they have on hand, i.e. if they're at the store and don't know if they have enough F215 primers/etc.

To your point though, chip makers have been putting back-doors on computers for at least 10 years so anything on your computer is fair game already. I.e. they already know what you have and even if they didn't, they have access to all of your financial transactions anyway so it wouldn't be hard to track down what you have...

Last edited:
Has there been any progress on this program? I know that there are several existing firearms inventory programs but a standalone ammo tracking program that is accessible from mobile devices would be golden.