• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ammo price jump of 11% on june 1st

RodneyDowns

Sergeant
Minuteman
I was at a small competition last night talking to a guy that works at a local gun shop. He mentioned that factory ammo prices were going up by 11% on june 1st.

Just thought I'd pass that along. I'm ASSUMING its a nationwide price hike since I dont know exactly how that works.

I'm sure some of you guys work at gun shops. Can you confirm that?

Re: ammo price jump of 11% on june 1st

What about reloading components? You know the world is ending this saturday so whatever...

Yes! I buy ammo for a shop in So. Cal., and have been told the same thing for several weeks. I believe ATK is leading the price hike movement.

What's really unsat to me is that ammunition prices doubled during and after the previous presidential election. Now, with prices still far above the pre-election norm, we're told that the new increase is necessary due to materials price increase.

Makes me glad I seldom shoot factory ammo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about reloading components? You know the world is ending this saturday so whatever...</div></div>

Ah great and I had plans on Sunday.

It's metal prices so I'd assume reloading components too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about reloading components? You know the world is ending this saturday so whatever...</div></div>
reload has already gone up.
Two weeks ago I was at cabelas and CCI primers were on sale 19.99 / 1000 from 29.99
Two days ago they have the exact same primers for sale 30.99/1000 down from 34.99

its all gone up already.

we love you obama!...../cough , gulp.. sorry, saying that even in jest made me throw up a little bit.

I was told by my local range to expect a healthy increase in rimfire ammunition costs too. You know things are bad when .22 is no longer considered to be "cheap."

I've worked in the Firearms Industry for 30 yrs now

ATK just had a 15% increase on May 1st
ATK is Federal, CCI, Speer, Lake City

Hornady went up 5% in April

Remington and Winchester will be soon

Dang! I need to find 500 or 1000 rounds of .308 or 7.62 thats reloadable for a good price before the price increases again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told by my local range to expect a healthy increase in rimfire ammunition costs too. You know things are bad when .22 is no longer considered to be "cheap."</div></div>

Yep, I quit buying .22 ammo years ago when it jumped from $7.90 a brick to 21.00 a brick. It went back down to 17.00 a brick and I've bought a few more. I dont know what I'll do when I run out again.
Unfortunatley I dont have the money to go stock up on .22 ammo and reloading supplies.

If everyone would quit demanding it, then there would be a large supply. Prices would have to fall. Easier said then done. Especially when the world is ending... I hope that Federal I ordered earlier this week get's here before Saturday.

Good thing I save all my centerfire and rimfire brass. Be makin' out gooood at the scrap yard to cover the price hike.

This one says May 1st: http://www.natchezss.com/customerService.cfm?contentID=ammoPriceIncreases

Other than reloading, I think the best solution is dollar-cost averaging
smile.gif

Ammo mfg are getting over on shooters big time. The sheriffs office here gets a case of .308 175gr federal match for less than $250.00. Same way with the .357 sig gold dot we use. But then again they order 10,000 rounds at a time. Its crazy the mark up on the products shooters ,hunters and fisherman purchase. I have quit using Black Hills for this very reason.Its Great ammo but the prices there vendors are charging are over the top.

I am not saying they aren't gouging, but fuel prices have skyrocketed, which increases the cost of THIER supplies.

Have you priced copper lately?
I can just look at the increase in copper thefts in our small jurisdiction and tell you that it has gone up considerably.

The issues with the previous election was thanks largely to hoarding, after all, supply and demand will drive prices add the scarcity of certain components due to two shooting conflicts (st the time) and it was a perfect storm for price increases.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered 500 rounds of .308. I appreciate the heads up
smile.gif

Copper and lead are driving the market. I work for a utility and copper wire was over $4.38 lb last month. It is finally starting to come down, but I don't think it will ever get back to $3.

We have a lot of copper theft going on..scrap dealers were paying $3.38 per pound for #1 and $3.00 for #2...CRAZY!

Copper, brass and lead are commodities in a global economy and the dollar's value's going down the toilet. The price of ammo will rise with the loss of purchase power of the dollar.

2agrnu1.png

I own a shop in West Tn. Winchester has jumped all prices, ammo, reloading components 10%-15%. Remington brass has increased also. Federal bulk 525rnd box .22 jumped approx $5 a box wholesale. Hornady increased their coponent bullets at the first of 2011.

PMC, Wolf and other foreign ammo stayed the same price or dropped. Makes you wonder????

Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The issues with the previous election was thanks largely to hoarding, after all, supply and demand will drive prices add the scarcity of certain components due to two shooting conflicts (st the time) and it was a perfect storm for price increases. </div></div>

I'm no Obama lover, but I have to agree. Anyone who blames Obama for the ammo/components price hike after his election is an idiot. It was due to hoarders hoarding, not anything that Obama did.

Like a recession, there's always several things at play.

- Fed running the printing press devaluing the dollar
- hippies protesting domestic mining and drilling thus we need to import raw materials
- unrest in the middle east where most of the oil is
- hoarders creating artificially high demand
- wholesalers and retailers who are quick to increase prices to reflect costs, but very slow (if at all) to lower prices when costs decrease.
- overactive lawmakers printing out laws as fast as the Fed is printing money increases compliance costs for manufacturers.
- our litigious society which requires manufacturers and retailers to insure their ass (e.g. victim of gun violence sues Walmart for negligently selling ammo
- etc. ,etc., etc., etc., etc.

- Obama is blameworthy too - he's adding to the demand by throwing lots of lead, copper, and powder into Pakistan and Libya =)

All the factors mentioned come into play. #1 is all the market will accept. Raw material prices are up but it't the biggest driver. I wouldnt expect a box of 500 175's to be up only 8 or 10 bucks based on raw materials going up. Using the raw material pricing for lead and copper. 5 year baseline.

I think I've purchased the last manf. ammo. I'm planning on starting reloading I know the components has went up as well but I just can't see paying Black Hills Gold for $42 a box!!....

Well, I stopped by Cabelas again yesterday. The primers that were on sale for 19.99 from 29.99 two weeks ago and went up to being on sale for 30.00 from 34.99 last week are no longer on sale and they jumped up to 37.99 now.

Unfortunately for me I dont have a slush fund I can use to stock up so I'll be screwed once I need to go buy some more supplies.
When I ordered my new 1000yd rifle several weeks ago I figured it was going to cost around $48.00 / 100 to reload. More that I would like but if I wanted to be able to compete......
As it sits now the same components are closer to $65.00/ 100 and the rifle hasnt even arrived yet. By the time it gets here I may not be able to afford to shoot it even with reloads.

Depressing.

Went to my local gun show this morning and it looked like all that was moving was ammo.People were walking out with loads of it.

I got 30,000 primers delivered a few months ago....

I aint worried

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NEW SHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to my local gun show this morning and it looked like all that was moving was ammo.People were walking out with loads of it.</div></div>
Unfortunatley thats the sort of thing that drives prices up even more.
Price goes up a bit. people get scared and start hoarding which increases demand and drives the prices up again and it just snowballs until no one can afford to buy or supply runs out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jea1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I just ordered 500 rounds of .308. I appreciate the heads up
smile.gif
</div></div>
What kinda deal did you find for the .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cutnhrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing I save all my centerfire and rimfire brass. Be makin' out gooood at the scrap yard to cover the price hike. </div></div>

brass isnt really worth much at the scrapper from what ive heard. 20 bucks for 30lbs?...something like that? thats alot of bending over for 20 bucks... lol

Ammo is already overpriced here in Spain, I dont think is possible to increase it anymore. x10 cartridges of cheap (non match ammo) of .338 lapua, $92.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cutnhrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing I save all my centerfire and rimfire brass. Be makin' out gooood at the scrap yard to cover the price hike. </div></div>

brass isnt really worth much at the scrapper from what ive heard. 20 bucks for 30lbs?...something like that? thats alot of bending over for 20 bucks... lol </div></div>

It adds up

Local guy picked up scrap brass from our range and ended up being able to buy a Dillon 650, Giraud Trimmer, and a Rock River AR