• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo recommendations for .308 at 100-300 yards?

Re: Ammo recommendations for .308 at 100-300 yards?

Factory stuff? Any of the Federal Match stuff will do, try Hornady TAP as well.

I recommend you buy this ammo.
grin.gif

what bullet are you looking at shooting?

Well, the most important question that needs to be asked is what do you want to do with your .308 from 100-300yds? Are we talking paper punching/target only? Hunting...if so, what? All of those things will dictate what ammo would be best suited for your purposes.

For general use on the range, paper punching, etc., I'd go with FGMM, Black Hills, Hornady TAP...basically all of the options that Chiller mentioned above. Your rifle should be able to handle all commercially available, factory loads up to and including 175gr loads without any trouble (and likely heavier, but I doubt you need any heavier).

Re: Ammo recommendations for .308 at 100-300 yards

Factory ammo. 300 yards is the max at the local range so that's my limit for now. Paper/Targets. No hunting, no comps.

I'll be reloading by next year so I'm mainly just looking for inexpensive ammo to get by for now. Especially stuff I'll be able to get locally. Any chance Walmart carries any decent ammo? haha

Planning to order up a case of FGM (going to try both 168 and 175 to see what she likes) when I get the chance but I just feel it's a waste for 300 yards, am I wrong?

save the money and go with the 175 grain.

If youa re getting into relaoding the 175 SMK is really the yardstick.

If you want to play you can look a the 155's and see how they run.

all this being said, the 175 will work day in and day out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory ammo. 300 yards is the max at the local range so that's my limit for now. Paper/Targets. No hunting, no comps.</div></div>

If you're anywhere near ASR, you can shoot steel to 600 yards all day.

I started out shooting winchester 180 and 150 from walmart. My gun didn't like the 180. I shot 10-12 boxes of the 150. It's not as good as the reloads I run now, but it should work for 1-300yd plinking. 18 dollars for 20 at my local walmart. Pick up the brass for when you do start reloading.

I wouldn't buy a whole case of each. Try a little 168 and 175 (but well beyond 300) and see what your stick likes better. When you start reloading you will have a good idea where to start. Enjoy the journey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SNIP... Any chance Walmart carries any decent ammo? haha

SNIP...Planning to order up a case of FGM (going to try both 168 and 175 to see what she likes) when I get the chance but I just feel it's a waste for 300 yards, am I wrong? </div></div>

Walmart might get you some plinking or practice ammo, but nothing that will get you the most out of your rifle possible. The Wally World's in my area usually have a variety of 308/7.62 ammo, including Winchester 147gr FMJ, a ton of Remington, soft point hunting crap, but that is usually about it. The Winchester stuff is fine for trigger time, but not generally regarded as anywhere close to "match" accuracy. Again, fine for plinking and the brass is decent enough for reloading later down the road.

As for wasting FGMM for <300yd shooting...nothing wasted by shooting high quality ammo at any distance. You are likely going to get the best accuracy that you can from a factory ammo with FGMM or BH 168gr or 175gr offerings. Only your handloads will likely do better. So, if you want to practice with the best in the meantime, the FGMM and BH ammos are the way to go and the brass from any of them is great for future reloading. Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AN ENTIRE CASE OF ANYTHING until you know how it will shoot in your rifle. You may end up with a lot of ammo that your particular rifle doesn't like. I'd get a box or two of FGMM, BH, Hornady, maybe Corbon and see what your rifle prefers. If you still don't have your reloading gear by the time you finish testing, then take your results and buy more (or a case) of the ammo that performed best for you in your rifle. You may not be able to get it from Wally World, but you can pick up just about anything from the for sale sections here on the forum, or one of its vedors like Triad Tactical, etc.

Test all the major match rounds, but I'll bet the FGMM 168's will be hard to beat at 1-300 yards.

This stuff is pretty good.
Shoots better than MOA when I do my part.

Out of stock at this place, but they might have it elsewhere.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">The primers are crimped in place</span></span>, something to remember when you reload.

http://targetsportsusa.com/p-1397-federa...-20-rounds.aspx

I'd lean towards BH's or Corbon if you're seriously going to reload them before long... BH's uses Winchster brass & Corbon either Lapua or Winchester depending on when made.... Might as well get the best brass out of it!!!

Any thoughts or comments on PPU 168gr "match" ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curious as to what fellow members would recommend. This will be for a rem 700 5R. </div></div>

for the 5R, I would go with the 175 SMK. After all, that's the work horse. FWIW, I think having one type of ammo is better, unless budget constraints and such. The 175 SMK will stay good a long way out. Certainly, the 155 scenars is worth a try. Between the two 168 and 175 grains, I would stay with the 175, but that's just me. Let us know how it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're anywhere near ASR, you can shoot steel to 600 yards all day. </div></div>

Angeles Shooting Range? I had a good time there last week but my barrel sat in the sun the whole time. Do they allow paper targets out at 600? or is it just the fat steel pig sitting out there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY AN ENTIRE CASE OF ANYTHING until you know how it will shoot in your rifle.</div></div>

Sorry, that came out wrong. I meant that I would try out the different grains before buying a case. On that note, how many rounds should I get for the different grains? 60 rounds give me a good idea of how it'll shoot?

Not really picky about the bullet, I'm just concerned with the overall performance while remaining cost-effective for <=300 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Certainly, the 155 scenars is worth a try.</div></div>

The lapua scenars cost almost 2x the FGMM. I'm going to put that at the bottom of my shopping list.

Going to try out FGMM 175gr when I get my hands on it. Then some BH 168/175.

Pictures taken down, going to read group shot policy first
smile.gif

The same ammo you would use to shoot to 1000 yards. Im just saying.

The barrel length, twist, target should all determine what bullet you use. I am more to the line of using an all purpose bullet. Take the norm 24" 1-10 .308 and you would do fine to use the BH/FGMM 175, Hornady 178 AMAX, or any 170+grn bullet for an all purpose round. Some are religous to the 165-168 weight bullets, and can be hella accurate, but there is some that have found stability issues at further distances. The 155 grain Scenars, and Palma SMKs are pretty good choices for close and long shots. There shouldnt be any reason to have to switch to a diffrent bullet depending on range. Pick one and be done with it.

I would say that if the majority of your shooting is at 1-300 yards, but you actually care about precision, go with FGMM in 168's. It's on sale right now, you can find it around $22 a box or even under if you search. 175's bring more than $30 a box, and really don't carry a benefit until you start to get out to some real distance.

I wouldn't bother with "cheap" ammo, unless you are happy with 2moa or so accuracy, or are shooting large steel targets. But at that point, what is the point of having a 5r rifle capable of much more?

Angeles ranges allows paper out to 200 yards and some days 300 yards, 4,5, and 600 yards are steel only, but its not just the pigs, there are like 6 steel targets at each of those distances. If its close enough to you then its a great place to stretch past that 300 yard mark.

Even out to 600 yards or so the FGMM or Black Hills shooting 168 grain Sierra Matchkings will serve you well. If you ever plan on stretching out farther than that, then just start out shooting the 175's so you'll already have a good idea of how they drop when you start moving out to greater distances.

for that short of a range, i use the 168 FGMM for the reason that they are typically more reasonable in price then the 175 version

for really cheap ammo the PPV 168 shoots around 1MOA in my gun and about 13-15 a box

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that if the majority of your shooting is at 1-300 yards, but you actually care about precision, go with FGMM in 168's. It's on sale right now, you can find it around $22 a box or even under if you search. 175's bring more than $30 a box, and really don't carry a benefit until you start to get out to some real distance.

I wouldn't bother with "cheap" ammo, unless you are happy with 2moa or so accuracy, or are shooting large steel targets. But at that point, what is the point of having a 5r rifle capable of much more? </div></div>

I completely agree with the above. But I wouldn't buy more than a few boxes until you find out if your rifle likes it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that if the majority of your shooting is at 1-300 yards, but you actually care about precision, go with FGMM in 168's. It's on sale right now, you can find it around $22 a box or even under if you search. 175's bring more than $30 a box, and really don't carry a benefit until you start to get out to some real distance.

I wouldn't bother with "cheap" ammo, unless you are happy with 2moa or so accuracy, or are shooting large steel targets. But at that point, what is the point of having a 5r rifle capable of much more? </div></div>

I completely agree with the above. But I wouldn't buy more than a few boxes until you find out if your rifle likes it. </div></div>True. Or if you get a good deal on a case of it, you can always sell it if your rifle doesn't like it. I can't say I've ever read a rifle not liking Gold Medal Match though...

I don't have a spotter or even a spotter scope so paper will gave to be my proof. As for the steel pig, I was referring to the 600 yrd only. I think that is the only target I saw at the 600. I could very well be wrong but it's not much fun when 10 other guys are shooting at the same target.

FGMM, BH, Corbon, and LS. Will give them a go!

Now how many rounds do I need to shoot to gauge their performance? 20/5 shot groups daily for 3 days? or is this something that will be totally subjective?

Use a lighter bullet if you want reduced recoil but I would go with 168's or 175's. I shoot/reload 175's.

Also if your planning on reloading but the ammo that you have good cases to work with when you start re-loading.

Pretty hard to beat 168 FGMM for what you want to do.

Run 168gr SMKs. They were designed for 300m BR shoots in mind. If you run any of the Match grade 168gr loads, you should be GTG. FGMM, Black Hills, Hornady, etc all will run well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Connor P Price</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angeles ranges allows paper out to 200 yards and some days 300 yards, 4,5, and 600 yards are steel only, but its not just the pigs, there are like 6 steel targets at each of those distances. If its close enough to you then its a great place to stretch past that 300 yard mark.</div></div>
Excellent and accurate info - I'll just specify the days that paper targets are allowed to be placed at 300, which are MONDAYS and WEDNESDAYS. Those days are usually the least busy and disruption is less likely if a three hundred yard shooter takes their time walking out / back from the 300-yard berm, which is most of the time. Personally, I hate it when some jackass holds everyone else up, so I always hustle out to and back from 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Connor P Price</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even out to 600 yards or so the FGMM or Black Hills shooting 168 grain Sierra Matchkings will serve you well. If you ever plan on stretching out farther than that, then just start out shooting the 175's so you'll already have a good idea of how they drop when you start moving out to greater distances. </div></div>
This info is spot-on. I <span style="font-style: italic">prefer</span> to shoot FGMM 175s' exclusively - they group nearly as well as FGMM 168s' out of my X-Ray 51, while being quite consistent all the way to 1,000 yards (unlike the 168s'). Shooting "<span style="font-style: italic">175s' only</span>", only requires the shooter to "know" one load.

However, 168s' are considerably less expensive than 175s' and inside of 600 wind drift differential is minimal so 168s' are a great alternative if a shooter is limited to only 300 yards.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a spotter or even a spotter scope so paper will gave to be my proof. As for the steel pig, I was referring to the 600 yrd only. I think that is the only target I saw at the 600. I could very well be wrong but it's not much fun when 10 other guys are shooting at the same target.

FGMM, BH, Corbon, and LS. Will give them a go!</div></div>
PM me next time you plan to head up to ASR and maybe I can meet you there and spot for you. There are multiple steel targets at each berm - at the 600 yard berm there are six targets - one Desert Ram, two small Pigs, one large Pig, and two vertical rectangles.

I usually work on the weekends, but occasionally get my arm twisted to go on the weekend. Weekends suck because of all the boneheads who don't handle their guns safely, and/or shoot your frame. Another advantage of weekdays are that fewer shooters means less chance that someone else will be shooting at the same target you are shooting at, which makes spotting easier.

Mondays are my favorite for the above-mentioned reasons, and are best for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ketchup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now how many rounds do I need to shoot to gauge their performance? 20/5 shot groups daily for 3 days? or is this something that will be totally subjective? </div></div>
Are you serious? You shouldn't need to fire 300 rounds or 60 groups of a particular load to know if it shoots well out of a gun. Once the barrel is fouled and both you and the gun have settled-in, shoot a few groups. If you were centered, followed-through, and all the holes touch you know the load shoots well, period. 20-25 rounds should be plenty for this.

However, determining which load is the least temperature-sensitive and shoots the best out of your rifle over a varying temperature range will require shooting in varying temperature ranges and on multiple days. If you are so-equipped, take your Kestrel and chrono those days so you have a baseline. Of course, this requires that you do have multiple boxes of each load (and from the same lot) that you are testing.

Keith

Re: Ammo recommendations for .308 at 100-300 yards

sbrgc.jpg

Center Target First 5 shots - Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ

Right Target 5 shots - Federal Gold Medal SMK 168 grain BTHP

kevinz.jpg

Oddly enough, the rifle was zero'd with FGM last weekend at 100 yards and now it's off to the right. POA as the X.

Went back to center target with Winchester 147 grain 6 shots then to the left target, again 6 shots. I had 2 rounds left over from another trip and I wanted to keep the ammo in groups of 5
smile.gif

I'll save the Winchester for friends. I'm considering using it for warming up a cold barrel or should I stick with the Match ammo for the cold bore shots to learn where they will land?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM me next time you plan to head up to ASR and maybe I can meet you there and spot for you.

Weekends suck because of all the boneheads who don't handle their guns safely, and/or shoot your frame. Another advantage of weekdays are that fewer shooters means less chance that someone else will be shooting at the same target you are shooting at, which makes spotting easier.

Mondays are my favorite for the above-mentioned reasons, and are best for me. </div></div>

Yea the last weekend I was there the RO's were pretty busy with the above.

I'll keep your offer in mind. It won't be for a while tho. Thanks!

I wouldn't bother "warming the bore." From the online training I have been doing, you should be able to train out the "cold bore shot." The barrel is always heating up as you are shooting it, it doesn't just "get to temperature" and stay there. If the heat of the barrel truly effected your POI, you would see a lot of vertical stringing, and the rifle would never really settle in. If you work on it, the cold bore shot should go the same place as the warm and hot bore shots.

168 gr. FGMM is good stuff. Just tried some in my gun this weekend and am surprised w/ the results (was shooting SSA 175 gr. for a while). 175 gr. is great, but unless you're shooting past 400 yards then the results won't really be noticeable. The heavier gr. is also more expensive as well, go figure.

yea I might just stick with the FGM, looks like it's shooting pretty well. it's pretty fairly priced for it's performance too.

I load the 175 smk, and have good results so far. I am new to long range and have some great help from a couple members here. That said I took my loads out to 625 and got a first round hit on a 8x11 steel target, with JV calling wind and elevation. That is as far as we can get on my range.

I have had real good luck with Hornady Match 168 ($24.00 a box). They will work a little better then the smk past 300. I run the Hornady out to 600 without any problems are they the best no but they will get you to that mark. Also Hornady has starter to load the 178 A max in the match round I have no found any to try but I bet it is good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tangodown911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Test all the major match rounds, but I'll bet the FGMM 168's will be hard to beat at 1-300 yards. </div></div>

a big +1!!!

Federal Gold Medal ....

I like the Remington Premier Match with 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing

Hunting Shack Munitions (HSM) is another to consider. Excellent price for a factory loaded match round. It'll group just as well as FGMM.

CDNN has FGMM 168's on sale for $18.99 per box. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.