• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo recommendations for new shooter.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
Hey guys, I got a a 700 SPS Tactical yesterday. I want to order about 300 rounds of ammo in a week, but I have no clue what to get. I'm new to precision shooting, so I don't need really good ammo right now, but I want something decent.

I'm looking on Palmetto State Armory right now. I can either get 300x Prvi M80 for $145, or 300x PMC Bronze for $165.

Should I get one of those, or are there any others I should look at in that price range?

Also, is it ok to shoot tracer ammo out of a 700? I've never shot tracer ammo before so I kinda want to get one box of Federal XM62 just for fun on the winter evenings when I go shooting.

Thanks,
Coby

Re: Ammo recommendations for new shooter.

i too just picked up this same rifle to start my build project, i was looking at the federals as well as previously suggested, but went with remington premier match 168gr matchking BTHP instead. Havent fired the gun until its all put together, but based my decision on the article below. The true test is how they shoot for me when the time comes...I do not currently reload my own ammo, but I am certainly looking into it.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/12/23/federal-v-remington-308-ammo-comparison-one-snipers-view/

I personally recommend Southwest Ammo, which is right here on the Hide. Mike and Zak roll some seriously accurate ammo. The price is not bad comparing to other high match grade ammo. Always try to support Hide vendors.

With respect to your rifle, it is a very capable rifle if you feed it proper ammo. If you want sub MOA, you are going to have to feed it high match grade ammo, unless you roll your own. See paragraph above.

There is nothing wrong with shooting tracer ammo. However, you have to be very careful about not setting things on fire. Most public ranges won't permit that. Havfe fun with your rifle. What scope are you putting on that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rock-N-Ruin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I'd get a few hundred rounds of this, save your brass for when ya decide it's time to reload.. Federal ain't the best brass for reloading IMO, but for match ammo, this is the best price available I can find.. J.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-308-federal-gold-medal-168gr-match-ammo</div></div>

That's a bit more than I want to spend per round. I'll remember that for when I decide I need match ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i too just picked up this same rifle to start my build project, i was looking at the federals as well as previously suggested, but went with remington premier match 168gr matchking BTHP instead. Havent fired the gun until its all put together, but based my decision on the article below. The true test is how they shoot for me when the time comes...I do not currently reload my own ammo, but I am certainly looking into it.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/12/23/federal-v-remington-308-ammo-comparison-one-snipers-view/</div></div>
Awesome, thanks for that link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally recommend Southwest Ammo, which is right here on the Hide. Mike and Zak roll some seriously accurate ammo. The price is not bad comparing to other high match grade ammo. Always try to support Hide vendors.

With respect to your rifle, it is a very capable rifle if you feed it proper ammo. If you want sub MOA, you are going to have to feed it high match grade ammo, unless you roll your own. See paragraph above.

There is nothing wrong with shooting tracer ammo. However, you have to be very careful about not setting things on fire. Most public ranges won't permit that. Havfe fun with your rifle. What scope are you putting on that?</div></div>

Okay thanks. I just want to shoot and learn the basics at the moment, but the 2nd time I order ammo I will get some match grade stuff. I'll look into SouthWest.

Yeah, with the tracers Id just buy a box of 20 this winter just to have some fun.

I'll either be putting a Falcon Menace 4-14x, or the SS 10x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm new to precision shooting,</div></div>

I'd suggest you start by getting a smaller quantity of good ammo, you mention you are new to precision shooting (as opposed to just being new to shooting), if you are trying to learn and improve your skills, it's a bit harder with crappy ammo as it's hard to tell if it's you or the ammo or the gun.

While you don't have to go out and buy the $2 per round top of the line ammo, I'd seriously consider getting at least some of the good Southwest ammo, it's around $1 per round and will perform very well for you.

Then I'd suggest signing up for the training videos on the website here and watch them and practice what you learn from watching them.

Go to USA Ammo and buy either 168 or 175's. It is factory reloaded and pretty damn accurate. Goes for about 13.50 a box, it is the cheapest that I would recommend. The other alternative is the American Eagle 168 OTM load. VERY accurate, can be had for 15-17 bucks a box.

Save your brass.

Southwest ammo is great stuff. Ive been shooting their 155gr and 175gr, lapua brass w/ large primers. This is scary accurate ammo for a very low price. At one point he was advertising it for $20.00 a box. For match ammo that is hand rolled quality or better that is insanely cheap. Ive got 500 rounds of 155gr coming from them now.

As mentioned above, the real question is, will you be dissatisfied/unhappy if you run inexpensive (cheap) ammo through your new stick and it doesn't perform well?

I know that Black Hills and Federal are expensive, but there's a reason; for factory ammo you won't find much better. You might consider buying fewer rounds of a two or three different types at first, just to see what your weapon likes.

You could start with a couple boxes of each without breaking the bank. Black Hills and/or FGMM in 168 and 175gr are possibilities. Alternatively, Hornady ammo is pretty decent and comes in a variety of flavors that can be had at a pretty reasonable price. For example, Hornady 168gr BTHP Match can be had at Midway USA for $21.26/box. If you take advantage of the Sniper's Hide Midway USA promo codes (you can find the link in the Equipment section), you can cut the cost of ammo by another 10% if you spend $100 or more. If you drop a lot of cash now on inexpensive ammo and it doesn't run well, that is just wasted money, IMO.

The main thing at first is to try a few types to see what runs best. Then you get more of what it likes and move on to more important things. I should point out that I don't reload, primarily because due to my job, I have little enough time to shoot as it is, and reloading would cut that even more. So for the time being, I use factory ammo, which gives me more time behind my rifles. Because of this, I've experienced many range trips where I was excited about a new type of factory ammo, only to have it end up running horribly. This can be really disappointing, but at least in my case, I already know the weapon shoots well with other ammo such as BH and FGMM. Because this will be your first time with the 700 SPS, you won't have that luxury if your groups aren't what you'd hoped. After reading the replies above, I am also very interested in trying some of the Southwest ammo, which I haven't shot before. Anyhow, good luck with your first range trip with the new rifle.

Buying decent ammo and saving your brass will pay off, not only in cost but in accurate and consistent loads. Once you buy a few things (die set, good press like the Forster) you can buy a box of 1000 primers for around $30, 8lb of Varget for $150, and a box of 1000 Nosler 168gr or 175gr custom competition bullets for $200 and be ready to shoot another thousand rounds.

I am really enjoying the American Eagle 168gr OTM right now. I am paying less than 15 a box, and it shoots as well as GMM for my uses.

Great thread. I'm in the same boat, and picked up some of the 168gr FGMM. I'll probably go the SW Ammo route next time I'm buying since it's basically the same price as you're going to pay for the 168gr FGMM, and from what I gather is just as good if not better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As mentioned above, the real question is, will you be dissatisfied/unhappy if you run inexpensive (cheap) ammo through your new stick and it doesn't perform well?
</div></div>
that is a great point. If you are going beat yourself up if you shoot 1-2MOA and keep saying it is the rifle or you; well, it could be the ammo that you have chosen. If you are going to get into the Precision rifle world buy the best you can and then learn to reload.

Thanks guys.

I'll be getting some reloading equipment next year, and I'll save the brass I shoot before that.

I understand what you guys are saying about performance though, what's the point in me getting a precision rifle if I dont get some good ammo?

Right now, I mainly just want to get some ammo, so I can actually shoot. I've spent a decent while away from a trigger so I'm really wanting to just shoot. Obviously I want to be accurate, but I probably wont be measuring MOA until I've gotten comfortable with the bolt-action platform.

With that said, I'll take your guys' advice regarding the better ammo, but I will also get some PMC Bronze.

I'll spend $200 at first and then once I decide on a round I like, then Ill get more of it.

If I were to order multiple brands/rounds, what would you recommend that totaled ~$200

Get YOURSELF 1 box each of Black Hills and Federal GMM in both 168 and 175 gr. That will set you back around $117.96 from Midway USA. Then, you will have just enough left over to send ME 4 boxes of Hornady 178gr Superformance (as long as you use the promo code) and still keep it around $200. That way I can save you the trouble of testing it yourself. I'll get back to you with the results as soon as I have shot it all up. PM me ASAP for my shipping info.

Seriously, just pick a few, Hornady, Black Hills, FGMM, 168s and 175s are a decent place to start. Maybe you don't need 168s and 175s in both BH and FGMM, but either is good. You could get a couple boxes of 168 and 175 in one or the other, throw in a couple boxes of Hornady, and still have plenty left for your PMC. Just pick a few of the better ammo people listed above, and whatever else you get will bring the total to $200. As long as you get a few rounds of decent factory ammo, you'll be GTG. Just remember to keep good records of how particular ammo's perform. That can help you find/avoid similar types your rifle may or may not like in the future, and for future reloading purposes as well.

If you just want to shoot for accuracy, I haven't seen a rifle yet that didn't like Federal Gold Medal Match to some degree. The downside is that Federal brass sucks (just my opinion).

The Black Hills stuff is good too and I believe it comes in Winchester manufactured brass. I think that their 168gr load uses Hornady projectiles, although they may offer a choice of either. I haven't shot factory in a while. In fact, I don't think that my bolt gun has ever seen a factory load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clamber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, I got a a 700 SPS Tactical yesterday. I want to order about 300 rounds of ammo in a week, but I have no clue what to get. I'm new to precision shooting, so I don't need really good ammo right now, but I want something decent.

I'm looking on Palmetto State Armory right now. I can either get 300x Prvi M80 for $145, or 300x PMC Bronze for $165.

Should I get one of those, or are there any others I should look at in that price range?

Also, is it ok to shoot tracer ammo out of a 700? I've never shot tracer ammo before so I kinda want to get one box of Federal XM62 just for fun on the winter evenings when I go shooting.

Thanks,
Coby </div></div>

$300 at Southwest Ammo will get you 300rds plus shipping. You are unlikely to find a better ammo cheaper.

I am shooting an SPS tactical and have shot .75 MOA groups with this ammo easily.

My advice:

buy a scope worth 2X the price of your rifle.

buy some decent ammo and shoot 500 rounds before you start buying anything else.

Okay, I think I'm about to order some Southwest ammo. I can only get a little bit right now, but then around Xmas I should be able to order more.

I figured it would be best to use really good ammo when zeroing but I'll probably be addicted to the accuracy and then that will be all I shoot.

If you go with the Southwest, I'd love to see your feedback posted after running some rounds. Maybe a comparison between the Southwest and anything else you try? Thanks!

Southwest Ammo +100

Many shooters here including myself have done reviews on thier ammo. The results speak for themselves, and the price is just as good.