• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ammo Storage question

Pester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2012
Northern CA
Meant to post this in reloading......will repost there.

I dont have the ability to store anything in the house but I can store guns/ammo in the garage. The temp ranges from 45-95 degrees through out the course of the year and is relatively dry. (No rust found on any cleaned cold rolled steel that I keep in there.)

Is that temperature fluctuation going to be a problem for ammo I reload? I have checked Federal and a number of other manufacturers and I dont see any recommendations on temp ranges.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Re: Ammo Storage question

Those temperatures would be fine, as long as the teperatures don't go from say -30 F to 120 F in a short amount of time there shouldn't be a problem, with todays cartridge componets storage temperature doesn't matter much except in extreme cases, just make sure your garage doesn't get hot enough to create the potential for any of the rounds to explode, keep it under 100 and your good

No problem. The ammo will be fine. No worries on exploding, no way any building is going to get that hot.

you're fine. Here in the Texas Gulf Coast, my ammo goes from 30ish on the coldest days of the year to 100+...never an issue.