• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ammo storage ??

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
what is the best way to preserve ammo ? i was told to take clear or well any color nail polish and go around where the case mouth and bullet meet and around the primer that keeps moister from getting to the primer and powder, i did it for 100 rounds and wow their has to be an easier way

secondly is their any tips to ammo cans ? they have a rubber ring and i have been told to put a little oil or grease on ring is this true ?

what about air locking the ammo in one of those things you use to air lock meat and other food items ?

Re: ammo storage ??

How long are you looking to store it for?

Zombies?

Just keep it cool and dry. Large heavy duty ziplocs with dessicant in them, then put that in an ammo can with another dessicant, then seal the lid with silicone....then bury it in the backyard under some tinfoil.

why under aluminium foil ?

well idk how long i want to store it, if i get that lee pro i wanna crank the ammo out like their is no tomarrow, surely i cant shoot it all so i want to set it in ammo cans out in the attic or garage untill i get around to shooting it.

now if zombies attack befor i get to shooting it then it has to go off so proper storage would be a good thing lol j/k

In ammo cans in a garage, assuming no flooding and everything was dry, you're good for 20-50 years with no special prep.

The tinfoil was a joke in regards to the guys that wear tinfoil hats.

Don't store ammo in the attic. Too hot.
I seal mine in an ammo can, and keep in a cool, dry place.I've had some for 10 or more years, and it looks and shoots as well as when new.
I have also sealed in a Food Saver bag, and then place in the ammo can. Double safety.
I consider the tinfoil optional, depending on my state of sobriety
and paranoia at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't store ammo in the attic. Too hot.
I seal mine in an ammo can, and keep in a cool, dry place.I've had some for 10 or more years, and it looks and shoots as well as when new.
I have also sealed in a Food Saver bag, and then place in the ammo can. Double safety.
I consider the tinfoil optional, depending on my state of sobriety
and paranoia at the time. </div></div>

does any one do the nail polish thing to the ammo like wolf does ?

I am of the opinion that if the ammo is sealed in a bag or box to preclude the introduction of moisture, sealing of the individual cartridge is not necessary.
I have heard and read differing opinions.
I sometimes seal my ammo ( in cardboard boxes ) in MIL-PRF-131J
heat seal packaging material. This is made up of an outer layer of plastic, a layer of aluminum foil, and an inner layer of heat seal plastic. Nothing gets in or out. You can seal this with your wife's iron, but be prepared to catch hell and buy another iron.

mylar bags from sorbentsystems.com will keep moisture out and aren't oxygen permeable either, so they are great for long term foof storage as well. Thet seal with an iron and wont damage it either. They also sell dessicants and oxygen absorbers. It would be hard to imagine a better way to preserve anything long term than these.

Store it a room temperature. Don't store it anywhere with extreme temperature or moisture variations. Ammo that's stored properly may likely outlive you. I've shot WWll era ammo that shot just fine. The military ammo is sealed at the primers and case mouths due to the extreme condtions it may encounter during combat,transport and storage. I keep my ammo in military ammo boxes or MTM plastic ammo boxes. Neither are really water or air tight.

In general, I try not to stockpile ammo. I don't like the cold soldering effect that allegedly occurs between neck and projectile.

Aside from that, I don't think there's any prohibitive reason why one couldn't store ammo indefinitely, providing it was sealed from atmospheric humidity and kept in a temperature range that is comfortable to humans.

I see GI Ammo cans as a very good solution to a common issue.

IMHO, neck and primer pocket seals are intended to prevent deactivation due to actual immersion of the cartridge itself. Beyond that, I see it as more trouble than it's worth.

If I were going to store handloads for long periods, I'd seat all the bullets about .020" long for storage; then reseat them to their shorter, more ideal length shortly before actual use to disrupt any cold soldering effects.

Greg

Greg,

What about working up a load with a Lee Factory Crimp Die? Wouldn't the tension imparted by the crimp negate any soldering effect, presuming an acceptable load was developed with the crimp initially.

Or, am I way off base?

Thanks,

Jason

I've used the Lee FCD extensively in the past with .308, .223, and .30-'06 chamberings. My conclusions are that while they probably have some benefit where autoloaders are concerned, they don't make any significantly positive contributions to accuracy.

I think their contributions, if any, are relatively unrelated to cold soldering issues. In other words, if cold soldering is going to occur without the FCD, it's probably also going to occur with it too.

My Lee FCD episode was the main contributer to my enhanced understanding of the concept of wishful thinking.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long are you looking to store it for?

Zombies?

Just keep it cool and dry. Large heavy duty ziplocs with dessicant in them, then put that in an ammo can with another dessicant, then seal the lid with silicone....then bury it in the backyard under some tinfoil. </div></div>

That made me laugh. Love me some tinfoil jokes.

Shoot it at the range, they store the lead, and you pick up brass and reload it again.

I use normal Mk19 Ammo cans, they fit a ton of ammo, and have a nice seal, if you plan to keep for a while salt the bottom, and seal it with silicone.