• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo that survived a fire?

InTheWeeds

Sergeant
Minuteman
AS some of you know, I had an incident with my reloading equipment a few weeks ago. Some of my loaded ammo survived without detonating. I'm trying to figure out how to dispose of it. I would assume it doesnt take alot of heat to detonate a primer, so Im curious if the brass may still be in good enough shape to discharge once at the range? If not, how would I go about disposing of it?

Re: Ammo that survived a fire?

Don't risk a second tragadey. If you can pull it do it and save the bullets for foulers. Toss the brass in a scrap bucket and torch the powder.

Terry

I agree with the others.I would pull the bullets,put the brass in the scrap can,junk the powder.Its not worth another accident.Any new news on the cause of your fire? Pete

If ya didnt want to torch the powder (great for getting rid of ants btw) you can always put it in the garden an mix it around makes a decent fertilizer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If ya didnt want to torch the powder (great for getting rid of ants btw) you can always put it in the garden an mix it around makes a decent fertilizer. </div></div>

just don't smoke while pulling weeds
grin.gif

Careful burning pulled powder. A friend's commercial range and gun store burned completely after some dummy fired a bang stick against the floor and residual powder went up.

While I have doubts about both the safety and efficacy of shooting the ammo, I also note that most of what I'm reading is based on conjecture, however well meaning.

My first impulse would be to disassemble and discard the combustibles, chambering/firing the primers in the disassembled cases; but there's still that nagging little curiosity tickling the backside of my pointy little mind.

Greg